• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Pacing

VagrantFarce

Anyone else find themselves pacing up and down while thinking? I do it almost instinctively when an interesting idea pops in my head, and my housemates always find it a bit unnerving when I'm pacing up and down on the second floor looking at the carpet. Once I was living in a tiny dorm when at University, and I found it particularly frustrating since I couldn't pace up and down quite as easily as I could at home! It just helps me concentrate for some reason, and I always find it comforting. I think it's the same thing as taking a walk when there's no one around, like early in the morning or late at night. I can just think without anyone potentially interfering.

Confirm to me that I'm not wierd please. :nerd: Aimless thinking is an absolute good, yes?

Helios

MBTI Type
INTP
When I am thinking particularly hard, or, bizarrely, when I am having conceited thoughts of profound academic success, I pace.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Yes. I can't sit for more than a few seconds and I'm back to pacing.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
I've always been a pacer. Keeps the blood flowing to the brain, I suppose. If I'm thinking, I'm pacing, save for maybe a momentary break.

G

garbage

Not usually when thinking, but I do it when lecturing or talking on the phone.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
ya...moving helps

somtimes i put on headphones when doing something redundant and repetetive...i think that and pacing are related

doing something that requires a little thought engages your secondary (primary) functions while the primary (secondary) function can go nuts unhindered...or something like that

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Yeah, it helps to get the circulation going. Maybe to burn off or divert some of the extra energy, to allow things to more organically shake into place. A walk around the block is often better -- though it can be annoying when everything clicks into place half a block away, and I have to either jog back, trying not to forget anything (at the last moment I will fail due to the concentration involved in unlocking the door or removing my shoes, and be discouraged), or whip out a pad and pen and scribble like a madman.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
Yeah I pace a lot. Even when I'm not thinking but just making conversation with friends. Instead of sitting down next to them I usually get up and walk around the room.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
Yeah I pace a lot. Even when I'm not thinking but just making conversation with friends. Instead of sitting down next to them I usually get up and walk around the room.
And I was starting to think there was no correlation between that habit and MBTI type.

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
That's true for conversation also, yes -- especially on the phone, where I'm less certain and therefore more prone to overthink. I imagine it helps to temper Ti and shift focus to the Ne.

Generally anything I can do to damp down this Ti is to my benefit.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
Lol yeah, phone conversations are the worst. I usually start sitting down in my chair, get up and pace around, sit back down again, get back up again etc..

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Sometimes when I'm intent on explaining something I start moving around randomly, wildly gesticulating, dancing -- in a flurry, even.

I think what it most actively does is it burns off the irritation at my inability to express myself. Which is useful, as that frustration tends to be exactly the material gumming up the bottle neck.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think waaaaay way faster than I am able to talk. So yes. If I don't pace myself, I crash and burn.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Never, but I exercise a lot, so I rarely have physical energy to "waste". My best thinking is done while laying on the sofa or bed.

F

FigerPuppet

I usually just sit and rock with one of my legs, fast.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
I usually just sit and rock with one of my legs, fast.

shit! that was me in high school and first year of uni...before i started getting the intellectual stimulation that has become a craving