• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] INTJ-ENTP mistyping

Malcontent

MBTI Type
abcd
I noticed that some people, expecially fictional characters, are typed INTJ by someone and ENTP by others. Doctor House is an example.
Why in your opinion are the mainly reasons because INTJ/ENTP could be mistyped each others?
How to spot them really?
Which are core resemblances? Which core differences?
Thank you.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
I noticed that some people, expecially fictional characters, are typed INTJ by someone and ENTP by others. Doctor House is an example.
Why in your opinion are the mainly reasons because INTJ/ENTP could be mistyped each others?
How to spot them really?
Which are core resemblances? Which core differences?
Thank you.

I think has more to do with people of certain types identifying with characters and then assuming that since they identify with the character they must necessarily be of the same type.

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Well I can see how as being an ENTP i've noticed how i can be very INTJ when defensive and hide behind a wall of coolheaded logic like INTJs seem to do naturally. Also when i make plans - yes i'm an ENTP who makes plans - I use Ni mixed with some Ti so I might come across as INTJ.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
They're each other's shadow.

INTJ cognitive function order:
Ni-Te-Fi-Se

ENTP cognitive function order:
Ne-Ti-Fe-Si

The two are very similar because of their function order. The introverted and extroverted forms of any given function often have a fair deal in common. And, of course, as they are shadows of each other, a person of one type can "become" a negative form of the other, given stress.

Malcontent

MBTI Type
abcd
The two are very similar because of their function order. The introverted and extroverted forms of any given function often have a fair deal in common. And, of course, as they are shadows of each other, a person of one type can "become" a negative form of the other, given stress.

This is very interesting!

Rhapsody

MBTI Type
INFP
I've actually done this a lot in RL ... I initially typed most of the INTJs I know as either ENTP or INTP. I think this is because Ni-dom can have the same quirkiness (and softness) as Ne-dom/aux? And also because whenever I click with someone, I unconsciously form a bias and automatically think they're NP (which would support what Synarch said about relating to someone ...). I've also typed some ENTPs as NTJ initially because they're really driven and on top of things.

In any case, I'd also be interested in how to tell the difference between a T using Ne and a T using Ni.

sculpting

Well I can see how as being an ENTP i've noticed how i can be very INTJ when defensive and hide behind a wall of coolheaded logic like INTJs seem to do naturally. Also when i make plans - yes i'm an ENTP who makes plans - I use Ni mixed with some Ti so I might come across as INTJ.

Ni-Te-Fi-Se

Ne-Ti-Fe-Si

I have seen this in real life with certain, very insecure entps. When under massive pressure I would have swore they were the most bitter, unhealthy, weird INTJs ever. But I couldn't "play" with them like I can my more normal INTJs.

Then later in a more relaxed enviornment they went entp crazy and were the life of the party. It was really odd. I have seen two like this.

Malcontent

MBTI Type
abcd
Then later in a more relaxed enviornment they went entp crazy and were the life of the party. It was really odd. I have seen two like this.

Sometimes ENTP are odd for me to understand.
They can be the life of the party (and if they are, it's uncommon to mistype them for intj), but they are also descripted often as the most introvert of extravert... :shock:

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
They can be the life of the party (and if they are, it's uncommon to mistype them for intj), but they are also descripted often as the most introvert of extravert... :shock:

I went off for a weekend recently with some friends. The first night I was in a partying mood, joking and laughing and stirring things up. However, the second night I refused to drink and spent most of the time off alone in a corner reading by myself. People kept asking me if something was wrong. Nothing was wrong, I just get freaked out by too much social interaction even though I can appear completely into it. It's weird and makes me feel very awkward.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram

Ni-Te-Fi-Se

Ne-Ti-Fe-Si

I went off for a weekend recently with some friends. The first night I was in a partying mood, joking and laughing and stirring things up. However, the second night I refused to drink and spent most of the time off alone in a corner reading by myself. People kept asking me if something was wrong. Nothing was wrong, I just get freaked out by too much social interaction even though I can appear completely into it. It's weird and makes me feel very awkward.

Yea, I agree, akward too here.

I have no clue aswell how to separate them. I stated for several times in various threads the only type I dont know is INTJ.

The only thing I have come to know so far from experience with someone I would type INTJ is that they are very sly guys. A thing I never really quite managed to be I always managed to somehow blow my cool by talking too much.

sculpting

this ones seems pretty easy honestly.

The entps are always a little "shinier"??? they seem to pay attention to thier appearance and appear a bit stylish, if in an odd ackward way. Like they will match really nice sunglasses with really scrubby sneakers or flip flops, but they will put gel in their hair, so they kinds pull off the "Im so cool that I dont care i look odd" cool look. They also seem more relaxed but "watch" you to see what you are going to do next. They study you with a fairly intense focused Ti look. They can appear pretty easy going as well, and be very "friendly" pretty quickly. When talking they also look up to the left or right a lot.

Intjs tend to look more stuffy, more reserved. They look at you directly but more on the defensive as though you are about to invade thier Ni private space. When challenged you can see them get an eagle eye look as Te comes out. They can appear stiff, robotic, or very cold.

Speaking style can differ too. The entps are more give and take conversational, even if they are playing you a bit. The INTJs will be much more pedantic and tend to interrupt your attempts to cut them off. The INTJs are also much more dismissive if what you are saying is wrong. They will tell you outright. The entps likely think you are just as wrong but are a little better about letting you make an idiot of yourself and let you babble on, then cut you off with a smart ass remark. When you are on better terms most entps will actively engage you in debate, where the intjs really still act like you are arguing with them, even if you have known them for years.

INTJs can have a really sweet fragile soft spot if you can pull it out.

The entps want to have sex with you but the intjs usually just want to be friends, unless they want to marry you (or they are Edgar).

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
In any case, I'd also be interested in how to tell the difference between a T using Ne and a T using Ni.

As a start, try to tell the difference with a Ti using Ne and a Te using Ni. It'l narrow it down a bit as far as INTJ/ENTP. Although (Ti feeding Ni) would be interesting. i imagine a Ti feeding Ni bicyclist would always have a rock handy incase yet another car brushed him/her. Not to nail some jackass car drivers windshield out of spite, but to nail an a-hole motorists vehicle in order to mark it so the police can find it easier. A Ti feeding Ne or Ne feeding Ti bicyclist would have a quick exit strategy assuming the car might turn around in retaliation. Which means they would never through a rock at a car because, when that scenerio actually occurs, they won't have they're exit strategy prepared due to Ne-ing the crap out of the environment at the time= 'spacing off' :)

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
this ones seems pretty easy honestly.

The entps are always a little "shinier"??? they seem to pay attention to thier appearance and appear a bit stylish, if in an odd ackward way. Like they will match really nice sunglasses with really scrubby sneakers or flip flops, but they will put gel in their hair, so they kinds pull off the "Im so cool that I dont care i look odd" cool look.

I would never describe myself as stylish unless "obliviousness" is considered a style.

My natural charm makes up for this, of course. :happy:

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6

My liveliness varies according to my mood. It varies according to lots of things, really.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
My liveliness varies according to my mood. It varies according to lots of things, really.

You would be the last one I would have expected to know something about other people cause I am used to you only talking bout yourself :D

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
The entps want to have sex with you but the intjs usually just want to be friends, unless they want to marry you (or they are Edgar).

Oh noez!! My secret!!!

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Did he really wrote the entps want to have sex with you ? In the NT forums ?

I mean ok, I admit, we entps have accepted you other 3 types for a long time now in this subforum and we are utterly thankful that you did aswell. But that sentence that was so stolen from the SP forums really.

Do you think you can come here with your shit you steal from foreign subforums and still think you are cool ? Really man, you bring out my Karate-Monster

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
You would be the last one I would have expected to know something about other people cause I am used to you only talking bout yourself :D

If this is how you flirt, I'm going to need more sunflowers.

Usehername

On a mission
I have an uncle who is undoubtedly an NT (willing to give up his highly specialized medical doctor career to learn long-distance trucking because he is bored, if only my INFJ aunt would let him).

He's either an INTJ or an ENTP and I can't tell which. He's sort of like Night. I can't tell if he's a Te user or a Ti user; I can't tell if he's an intravert or extravert. It's very weird because there's no way he's INTP and he's not take-charge enough to be ENTJ.

INTJ or ENTP. Hmmm. You'd think you could tell. But Night gets confused about his own type a little (yes it's all bunk, but yah know).