User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    xSFJ
    Enneagram
    2w1

Default NT abstract conversation starters

Give me some ideas. As an NT, what are some good conversation topics that you find particularly stimulating?
    Si, Fe equal Fi & Ti

"I had a bag of Fritos, they were Texas grilled Fritos. These Fritos had grill marks on them. They remind me of summer, when we used to fire up the barbeque and throw down some Fritos. I can still see my dad with the apron on. Better flip that Frito, dad, you know how I like it." -Mitch Hedberg

MBTI
    INTP

Topics in philosophy of mind are good for light-hearted discussion. It's always fun to discuss the logical possibility of philosophical zombies.

Philosophical skepticism is good stuff too, but you have to find someone who takes it seriously--i.e., people who aren't practically oriented.

MBTI
    INTj

I prefer topics dealing with "how and why" rather than "who and what".

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

given the predicted food shortages, water shortages, etc. that are near-universally predicted by experts, what do you predict the global state of affairs will look like in 30 years? It stands to reason that within a few short decades there will be a distinct shift in the priorities of many nations, and likely far more global conflict over resources than there currently is. With different priorities comes a more distinctly different world. I imagine a sort of lightning-fast Darwinian evolution of careers being fueled by the new environmental needs and constraints--far quicker than what happens naturally.

What are your thoughts?
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    given the predicted food shortages, water shortages, etc. that are near-universally predicted by experts, what do you predict the global state of affairs will look like in 30 years? It stands to reason that within a few short decades there will be a distinct shift in the priorities of many nations, and likely far more global conflict over resources than there currently is. With different priorities comes a more distinctly different world. I imagine a sort of lightning-fast Darwinian evolution of careers being fueled by the new environmental needs and constraints--far quicker than what happens naturally.

What are your thoughts?
    That's NT conversation pr0n if I've ever seen it.

As a little note for your question, a J will be more interested in talking about the real-world application of ideas and concepts, while a P will be more interested in the idea or concept, not it's real-world application. To give you an example of how this plays out, a P would rather talk about how things have a tendency to decay over time and how this fact is universal and applies to all areas of existence, while a J would talk a little more about how society is going downhill and is destined for disaster, possibly destruction.

Off hand, I can't think of a good conversation starter, but Usehername's seemed pretty good. It would catch my attention.
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Banned
    MBTI
    type
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFP

"Strange, isn't it?..."
    That can get me going. Just try it, and steer me into N, if I don't do that myself. I will sometimes manipulate conversations entirely away from their premise just so that I can use my N to talk.

MBTI
    IsTP

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    I prefer topics dealing with "how and why" rather than "who and what".
    I think I am with you on this. Abstract notions never interested me, I need things more deeply rooted to reality.
    ...Then I ducked my head and the lights went out, and two guns blazed in the dark;
    And a woman screamed, and the lights went up, and two men lay stiff and stark...

Enneagram
    1w2

If you want to go with the "traditional" abstract conversations starters then I suppose science and philosophy is fine.

I've personally found anything can be abstracted. Some of my friends and I were talking about McDonald's new coffees in comparison to Dunkin Donuts, 7-11, and Starbucks and by the end of the conversation we were talking about the fair trade movement and micro lending. I find that most Ns would probably check out hearing people talk about coffee and not stick around till the course of the conversation changes to a more satisfying topic.

You can abstract a conversation about a mechanical pencil as far as I'm concerned.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    You can abstract a conversation about a mechanical pencil as far as I'm concerned.
    I don't think they have souls or free will.

(Although technically, I guess we just wouldn't know -- so what processes could we use to discover and quantify aspects of the mechanical pencil?)

... unless of course, there is no pencil.

Quote Originally Posted by Willfrey View Post
    I think I am with you on this. Abstract notions never interested me, I need things more deeply rooted to reality.
    I branch between abstracted topics and concrete ones. (Sort of the difference between philosophy vs engineering, which can both be NT-style areas of expertise.)

Concrete ones can be really interesting, if it's the sort of topic wherein you can use logic + imagination in order to build connections and drag in ideas and data from other disciplines to help you form an explanation or solution. NTs seem to enjoy making rational connections that run outside the box (and therefore help expand it).
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Willfrey View Post
    I'm the opposite. If the subject isn't abstract I can quickly become bored.
    I do not understand the pleasure in discussing concrete subjects. It seems to me such conversation is nothing more than glorified data-sharing. Neither party is thinking about nor learning anything. If one wants to learn facts, surely the internet or a book would be much more reliable.
    I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that he is a fraud, and I think despite all of his rhetoric about being a champion of the working class, it will turn out to be hollow -- Bernie Sanders on Trump