User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Default are INTJ perfectionists?

are they?

here's a quote from my INTJ cousin's personal Blog, who recently just got very frustrated & mad with his workplace for not being as perfect as he wants to be , and because the office staff often make small-little mistakes that he just CAN'T tolerate! (even including MY small-little mistake! ouch!)

"The Curse of a Perfectionist
    A perfectionist is a poor creature. The perfectionist wants everything to be perfect in this ever imperfect world. He/she spends countless effort to make things perfect, and is furious when something is not to his/her meticulously thought of design.

The perfectionist spends most of his/her time doing all the work him/herself. The thought of delegating a work to someone else is frightening. A perfectly acceptable result is never perfectly perfect for the perfectionist. He/she always thinks, "I should've done it myself."

He/she will ask someone else to create a document, only to grumble that the width of the column is 0.75 points less than what it should be, making the table too wide to be printed in a single page.

He/she will ask for someone else to make a design, only to find it unsatisfactory and will re-do everything according to his/her wish, all by him/herself.

He/she will waste countless hours of sleep, thinking of the mistakes that he/she should have not made during the day, and trying to figure out the perfect solution for problems of the morrow.

The color of the wall should have had 5% more red. The stairs should have been 10 cms wider. The report should have weight information. The response should've been faster. The trees should've been planted earlier.

And woe is the person who has to deal with a perfectionist, for that person will, in turn, become a perfectionist also, like it or not."
    As a result, he did correct ALL the tiny-little details & mistakes that our 6 office staffs made!
    from scanning, filling Proforma invoice, for costing, accounting, etc etc etc etc etc!

...i really am shocked, and awed by his perfectionist & personal-competence attitude!
    but is this really typical of INTJ folks, generally, or just my cousin?...i wonder?

MBTI
    INTJ

I'd guess some of it's INTJness and some it's your cousin. I am a control-freak-perfectionist about some things. I would be upset about the design, hell, I'd have done that myself to begin with. Margins? Percentage of red? Bleh - not interested.

There are things I do at home because I want (need?) them done a certain way - MY way. Other things I could care less about and happily delegate. I suspect in us it comes down to the J.

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

MBTI
    INTJ

It depends on whether or not it is important to us.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Maybe he's ISTJ or very close to the INTJ/ISTJ border. ISTJ's are definitely perfectionists.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

How old is he? Most INTJs learn soon enough the importance of choosing battles.
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

MBTI
    INFP

my INTJ cousin is 29 yrs old.
    I'm working in the same factory with him (it's a family-business).

Hmm...i really highly doubt that he's an ISTJ.
    all his talks & conversations all this time signaled to me that he's just WAY too 'geeky' & 'intuitive' to be an "S" (ISTJ) ! I definitely am sure he's a pure INTJ, in fact, he has also tested the MBTi test (I 'forced' him once to try the test he he) and came out with INTJ too!

I thought I've read some descriptions of INTJ somewhere...that it says that INTJ are indeed mostly are of perfectionists nature. In fact, it's the "NT" folks who're usually have the tendency of being prefectionist?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

SJs can be perfectionists as well.

(It's more the underlying motivation and WHAT things the person is a perfectionist about that reflects type.)

For example, an ISTJ might be extremely perfectionist about how a bookcase is built/assembled. Everything has to be lined up, everything symmetrical, everything slides neatly together, the finish has to be perfect, etc.

In contrast, an INTP might not care as much about the tangible construction/precision of the bookcase; but if the design of the bookcase is not perfect (i.e., it does not suit the person's needs, does not allow for the full range of book sizes potentially available in the future, etc.), then s/he might spend hours and hours working to create the perfect design.

(Here you have an interesting comparison because both are thinking types but focus on different elements of the bookcase.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    XNTX

Not sure that a true (solid) INTJ is a perfectionist, unless it matters.

Perfectionist is too close to wrote learning. Although, I can be an absolute perectionist if on a cost/benefit basis it matters (Basically like in a contingency mode to ensure everything is absolutely the best and most defensible or most likely to work etc).

MBTI
    INTJ

Well, I'm an INTJ and I wouldn't exactly call myself a perfectionist...although, what do you think dear? I do see myself in the way you describe your cousin, I am extremely anal with certain things, especially at work. I have a certain place for everything at work (to make things more efficient for me) and it drives me nuts when people move the stapler (for example) a couple centimetres away from where it's suppose to be! I often time find myself thinking that I should have done it myself because whoever else did it sucked!

At home, I'm anal about how the dishes are stacked in the dishwasher, how the bed's made, how you do the laundry or how you clean the house. Don't get me wrong, I my home isn't spotless - it's far from that, but when my J gets going, I'll blow over anyone or thing that's in my way. I think, as some INTJ or others say, it's a matter of how important I see the thing. If I don't see it as important or relevant (for that moment), I won't be a perfectionist about it; but, if I found something important/relevant to me or the situation, I would be so anal about how it's done. You will be able to read my rants on my current situation with wedding planning....but that's a whole different topic.
    Sorry for any typos, spelling or grammer errors but I'm a bit preoccupied planning my wedding.
    Or if you want to read more about me and help me gain more insight to your world (I do need more experiences in life), feel free to skim through my blog.

MBTI
    XNTX

Quote Originally Posted by Nonpareil View Post
    Well, I'm an INTJ and I wouldn't exactly call myself a perfectionist...although, what do you think dear? I do see myself in the way you describe your cousin, I am extremely anal with certain things, especially at work. I have a certain place for everything at work (to make things more efficient for me) and it drives me nuts when people move the stapler (for example) a couple centimetres away from where it's suppose to be! I often time find myself thinking that I should have done it myself because whoever else did it sucked!

At home, I'm anal about how the dishes are stacked in the dishwasher, how the bed's made, how you do the laundry or how you clean the house. Don't get me wrong, I my home isn't spotless - it's far from that, but when my J gets going, I'll blow over anyone or thing that's in my way. I think, as some INTJ or others say, it's a matter of how important I see the thing. If I don't see it as important or relevant (for that moment), I won't be a perfectionist about it; but, if I found something important/relevant to me or the situation, I would be so anal about how it's done. You will be able to read my rants on my current situation with wedding planning....but that's a whole different topic.

Hmmm... I'm actually quite disorganised and messy in an outward appearance. However, I have loads of virtual filing cabinets in my mind filled with loads of concepts and business idea's I am currently thinking about.

I don't care about the dishes because I like living in my mind thinking about things. My idea of being organised and efficient would to be to buy carton's of paper plates and just place them straight into the bin so I could get through the mundane faster.

As an example, I went to a men's suit maker that sells quite high end shoes for men. About 1 year ago I went in there and bought a pair of shoes and they've worn out. So I went and bought an exact replacement pair (they are over priced but I hate shopping and its quick) and I really thought about buying another 5 pairs to last me another 5 years. Why... an INTJ would know why.