• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTJ] ENTJ's: if in love, are there any romantic gestures you appreciate?

wrldisquiethere

MBTI Type
xSFJ
Enneagram
2w1
My boyfriend's birthday and our one-year anniversary is coming up in a few weeks and I am trying to decide what to do for him that will be special and out-of-the ordinary. Since he is inclined to get uncomfortable if things get too cheesy, I thought I'd enlist the help of others with a similar personality to his.

I have a gift...somewhat practical, somewhat fun. I am framing some of his favorite comic books for him. Other than that I'm not sure what I'm going to do for him, but I'm not too concerned about coming up with gift ideas.

What I am trying to figure out is what kind of activity will be meaningful to him. Although he doesn't enjoy a lot of sappiness, we definitely have our tender moments and he enjoys those as well as I do. I am just trying to figure out how to stay on the right line of tender without crossing over to sappy territory. :D

So, NT's, particularly ENTJ's, are there any gestures a SO has done for you that were meaningful to you? Or anything you know you would like to have done for you? Do you have any advice or ideas for me? Please be nice. :cheese:

littlemissgiggles

MBTI Type
entj
Enneagram
What might be best would be something that would really surprise him and remind him how much you notice about his likes and dislikes. For example, perhaps you remember him casually saying that he really likes a certain restaurant, or that he wishes he had some really specific item ("Wow, that purple baseball cap is really cool. Wouldn't it be cool to wear a purple baseball cap?"). It sounds like you already have a great gift idea.

You could also try a day trip or something based on his interests. Think of something he likes that could be turned into an activity (art museums, hiking, role playing) and then find somewhere he's never been that would be a logical point of interest (for example, if he's into the outdoors, find a hiking trail he's never gone on with a really cool view that he'd love).

Personally, I'm a fan of sappy (fill my bathtub with roses and give me a massage please) but what it comes down to ultimately is the thought and effort put into it, along with how much my SO has figured out about my preferences. My boyfriend knows, for example, that flowers don't excite me as much as a planned night out, partly because flowers don't serve a functional purpose and partly because any idiot can get his girlfriend flowers with no thought or effort. Similarly, I like to talk, and spend quality time with him, so if he's trying to impress he won't take me to a movie. I can do that myself.

Frank

A nice hotel suite, sexy lingerie and candles. I'll let you take it from there.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
A nice hotel suite, sexy lingerie and candles. I'll let you take it from there.

I have a hard time thinking of any hetero guy who wouldn't appreciate that unless he was completely clueless.

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Sexy lingerie is the best first step.

Then you can think about buying him a present that he really wants... something he's been talking about for a while.

Cook dinner and do his favorite food

During the meal, constantly try to shift the conversation to something more abstract

If you are more competent/knowledge than him in anything, you can prove him wrong and argue with him. As long as you have good and logical reasons to think you're right, he'll respect you a great deal.

In bed, just be natural. Nothing special to do, apart letting your body speak. Remember that he loves you because you are YOU, not for the things that you DO. But the things that you do can be nice from time to time also, such as on a special occasion :)

wrldisquiethere

MBTI Type
xSFJ
Enneagram
2w1
We are abstaining. Otherwise a weekend away with sexy lingerie would DEFINITELY have been planned long ago. :)

Thanks for replying. Some of the ideas have been helpful.

wrldisquiethere

MBTI Type
xSFJ
Enneagram
2w1
What might be best would be something that would really surprise him and remind him how much you notice about his likes and dislikes. For example, perhaps you remember him casually saying that he really likes a certain restaurant, or that he wishes he had some really specific item ("Wow, that purple baseball cap is really cool. Wouldn't it be cool to wear a purple baseball cap?"). It sounds like you already have a great gift idea.

You could also try a day trip or something based on his interests. Think of something he likes that could be turned into an activity (art museums, hiking, role playing) and then find somewhere he's never been that would be a logical point of interest (for example, if he's into the outdoors, find a hiking trail he's never gone on with a really cool view that he'd love).
I thought of that, but most of the things we love to do together are outdoor activities. We like to try to hike about ten miles at a time. That's rough for a day trip right now because the heat index here has been around 114-degrees lately.

He is a sound technician, and so his whole life revolves around his audio work. I can't think of anything *fun* to plan involving that...if I tried I would worry that my lack of knowledge in the subject would end up with a day of frustration for him rather than enjoyment. :doh:

He does love all kinds of good food. I am house sitting that weekend at a nice home, so I thought about having him over during the evening for a candlelight dinner with his favorite foods, engaging-but-unemotional conversation, and a movie and a back rub or something like that. We eat together all the time, so I was thinking candlelight with some of his favorite music playing might be nice for a switch from the everyday norm. I'm just not sure if it's too sappy. :cheese:

Dangit, he is so hard to impress! Haha.

Sexy lingerie is the best first step.

Then you can think about buying him a present that he really wants... something he's been talking about for a while.

Cook dinner and do his favorite food

During the meal, constantly try to shift the conversation to something more abstract

If you are more competent/knowledge than him in anything, you can prove him wrong and argue with him. As long as you have good and logical reasons to think you're right, he'll respect you a great deal.

In bed, just be natural. Nothing special to do, apart letting your body speak. Remember that he loves you because you are YOU, not for the things that you DO. But the things that you do can be nice from time to time also, such as on a special occasion :)
Some good ideas. Any ideas for abstract conversation starters? Haha, yes, I'm for real. We have had some conversations about time travel, which were oddly enough initiated by me, but that's about as creative as I get and that subject can only be discussed so many times. :) Maybe I should start another topic about NT abstract conversation starters. :D

Thanks for the ideas thus far.