User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    All opinions, of course.

List what book you think best represents your personality type and its view of the world. While many of these can be your favorite book, they don't all have to be. Personally, I see this list skewing more toward the fiction side, but I'm having trouble seeing how it could be anything but a scientific treatise for an INTP. To start:
    Recently, my favourite book has been What is History?, by Edward Hallett Carr. I'm unsure whether this "best represents my personality type", however.

Amazon.com: What is History?: Edward Hallett Carr, etc.: Books

MBTI
    intp

It would be nice if the listings were broken down by age group.

Jostein Gaarder's Sophie's World may tickle a 12-15 y.o. INTP teen's fancy.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Banned
    MBTI
    type
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFP

The most NT books i can tink of have to be by Ayn Rand.

Yes, Ayn Rand is very NT...but she is kind of insane...you might say NT to a fault

the graphic novel V for Vendetta is sweet

i'm not so sure about fiction for NTs, but as for nonfiction:

The Denial of Death by Ernest Becker

C.G. Jung is great: Modern Man in Search of a Soul and Man and His Symbols

Alan Watts is amazing for philosophy as well so anything written by him, I am certain he was an INTP as well as Jung

anything that intensely analyzes the human condition

MBTI
    INTP

For science fiction you can't really beat Isaac Asimov or Orson Scott Card. There's a relatively new author named Alastair Reynolds, he writes hard sci-fi that's greatly detailed AND internally consistent.

For fantasy, I can't believe no one's written down Lord of the Rings. That series is just epic. Anne Rice's Queen of the Damned is probably the best Anne Rice book out there, and that's saying something.

I'm a 17-year old guy, just to show you my perspective.

MBTI
    ENTP

The Art of Looking Sideways... definately ENTP...

It's an anthology of stuff, different stuff, beautifully crafted....

Utube with the author

YouTube - The Art of Looking Sideways by Alan Fletcher

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Finding a book that totally matches my view of the world AS A WHOLE is very difficult to do... characters? Sure, there's lots of characters I agree with, but I'm not sure I've ever found a book that had a theme or message to it related to my total mindset fully.

The closest one I could think of as a whole would probably be Angelmass, wherein the message is heavily weighing upon the rejection of the concept of "good" and "evil", attempting to define emotions through quantitative evidence, the concept of intelligent life being able to exist other than humans, and that it doesn't have to be even remotely similar to how we understand it (a black hole gains sentience and total paranoia, going insane), and has a very strong emphasis towards logical reasoning, refusing to go along with tradition simply because it's tradition, refusing to accept things that're 'too good to be true', actively WANTING to 'look a gift horse in the mouth' and several other themes related to intelligently and attempting to objectively assess situations, regardless of how strong public opinion of them may be, in favour for, or against.

Several of the characters I identified with in different ways, and overall, I think it's the closest book to truly match my mindset I've yet read so far.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

Freakanomics: A rogue economist explores the hidden side of everything. Incredible book. Love the correlations. Probably one of the best non-fiction I have read in a while.

As for Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams, like them both. Never finished anything by Pratchett, but what I did read, I liked. Adams was way more detached in his story plots, especially in the Dirk Gently novels, but part of what made reading Adams fun was his random tangents, they made reading every page unexpected.

As for Ender's Game and that whole series, read a few of them and liked them. I read the first book after a recommendation from a Physics professor. Prefer the likes of Adams, but Orson Scott Card is much more serious, so I guess it really just depends on my mood.

Quote Originally Posted by mortabunt View Post
    The most NT books i can tink of have to be by Ayn Rand.
    definitely Atlas Shrugged from Ayn Rand.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

The first non-fiction book that comes to mind is Gdel, Escher, Bach by Douglas R. Hofstadter, I might add some more later.
    As for fiction I like Tolkien, Gaiman, Lukianenko, Lem, Lovecraft, Poe...oh and both, Pratchett and Adams.
    Born to Lurk