User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    entp

the importance of being earnest - oscar wilde

and excellent 4 act play that reminds me of me in simpler times

wilde does a good job of displaying morality in a mirror. the book highlights the obvious notions of the modern world that are expected of everyone but aren't taught by anyone. the useless norms that only cause the pretentious to be happy...written in a very typical entp fashion...excellent read

videodrones; questions Verfremdungseffekt's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Eh?

It has become hard for me to read a novel, unless the author's voice really leaps out at me -- and there are only so many voices that do this.

Joseph Heller is one. Catch-22. Just about anything by Nabokov or Wodehouse. They all express themselves as I would hope to.

Rather like Stephen King, Asimov's short stories are far preferable to his novels. Sort of wish I'd known him better when he was alive.

MBTI
    INTP

For me, it's Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. I read it for the first time about 4 or 5 years ago. It blew me away, best novel ever. I'm glad I didn't read it when younger, I would missed a lot of the psychological depth and multitude of layers in the novel. It hits both the feeling and thinking parts of the mind.

Quote Originally Posted by RuffledINTP View Post
    Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenence really appealed to me. A lot of people read it and then never look back, but I've found it to be really intensive and deep. It essentially delves into what quality really is.
    I read that when I was 18. It was one of several books that changed my thinking around that age. Chaos by James Gleick and The Tao of Physics by Fritjof Capra where another two books I read in my late teens that changed how I viewed the world.
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.

MBTI
    INTP

Amazon.com: Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch: Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett: Books

Good Omens, by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman

Mainly because it appeals to the NT sense of humor.
    Something Witty

Senior Thread Terminator Aerithria's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Amazon.com: Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch: Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett: Books

Good Omens, by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman

Mainly because it appeals to the NT sense of humor.
    Seconded.
    [insert funny quote/saying/etc.]

videodrones; questions Verfremdungseffekt's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Eh?

I think I have Good Omens drifting around somewhere, unread...

I admit I haven't really given him a chance, and haven't tried to read him in years on years, so I may be working off of weird teenager thinking, but Terry Pratchett always struck me as a poor man's Douglas Adams.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Aderack View Post
    I think I have Good Omens drifting around somewhere, unread...

I admit I haven't really given him a chance, and haven't tried to read him in years on years, so I may be working off of weird teenager thinking, but Terry Pratchett always struck me as a poor man's Douglas Adams.
    And see, I tried reading the Hitchhiker's Guide series because I liked Good Omens, and thought they might be similar, and I just couldn't get into Adams.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INTP

I was utterly obsessed with Douglas Adams in my mid-teens. I reread Hitchhikers enough that I could quote large chunks of it.

Terry Pratchett has more depth. I love Good Omens (reread that a gazillion times) and I have all of his books, most of which have also been reread a gazillion times. But with the exception of the Nightwatchmen series, none have affected me at a particularly deep level, unlike Ender's Game. Although, the Discworld is part of my mental landscape and I occasionally wander round in there.
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.

MBTI
    SEXY

Quote Originally Posted by bluebell View Post
    I was utterly obsessed with Douglas Adams in my mid-teens. I reread Hitchhikers enough that I could quote large chunks of it.

Terry Pratchett has more depth. I love Good Omens (reread that a gazillion times) and I have all of his books, most of which have also been reread a gazillion times. But with the exception of the Nightwatchmen series, none have affected me at a particularly deep level, unlike Ender's Game. Although, the Discworld is part of my mental landscape and I occasionally wander round in there.
    I read it, didn't particularly like it.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by bluebell View Post
    For me, it's Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. I read it for the first time about 4 or 5 years ago. It blew me away, best novel ever. I'm glad I didn't read it when younger, I would missed a lot of the psychological depth and multitude of layers in the novel. It hits both the feeling and thinking parts of the mind.
    This book keeps coming up in conversation over and over again. I'll have to check it out.

About to start on Moby Dick again. Not exactly an NT yarn but it's a classic.