User Tag List

First 67891018 Last

Results 71 to 80 of 290

  1. #71
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    INTJs write people off based on subjective values of the person. That's what is scary - any failure can make you a write off. It doesn't have to be a big thing... they just cease to have you in their 'inner circle'. No one likes having that happen to them, and the uncertainty of what causes it... that's the intimidation.
    The point has kind of passed... but I'd like to say that I don't think we write people off for making one mistake that violates some obscure and subjective value of the INTJ in question. I think for us to write someone off we have to be very hurt by the person. You seem to think that we simply don't care about the people in our lives and that we can just easily walk away and I don't think that's the case. There are people I would never write off under any circumstances.
    It's not as if we think "Damn, Jill threw that wrapper on the ground. I like Jill and we've been good friends for a long time, but I can't stand littering so I'm never going to speak to her again!"

  2. #72
    The elder Holmes Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp
    Posts
    1,080

    Default

    When it comes to people I've been on good terms with for a long time, it takes quite a lot for me to decide that I'm done with them. The last such person I decided to remove from my life was a friend that, in the time I had known him, had gone from being delightfully pedantic on occasion to being a full-blown, confrontational wind bag. It got to the point where being in his presence meant biting my tongue 80 percent of the time. It's not like I dismissed him over, as Mendacity puts it, something like littering.

    In fact, being that we're Ts, INTJs tend to be quite thick-skinned. I know that, personally, things have been said or done to me that others probably would have been upset by, but to which I took no affront.

    When it comes to a room full of random people, I agree completely with Metamorphosis's "streamlining" analogy. The crux of the issue, and this ties into what Proteanmix was saying as well, is that I, and as it would seem from my interactions on this board, other INTJs, would generally prefer to be alone. I'm never actively seeking new friends. At any given time I have a mental list of types of people who would be useful in implementing my current plans and seek those people out. Beyond that, I won't spend time being with people I feel are of no benefit. That's time that could otherwise be spent doing things I enjoy or working on my projects.

    However, I am still always, as a rule, cordial to people I meet, and when I have dismissed closer associates, I've done so quietly and without making a huge hoopla of it. I realize that they are people with their own prerogatives and personalities and that our paths have simply either not crossed to any substantial degree, in the case of the "roomful of people", or have parted, in the case of former friends. If people do realize they've been written off, which they usually don't because I'm careful to make it seem as though we simply "drifted apart", they are perfectly within their purview to think, "Well fuck him anyway!"
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

    -- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

  3. #73
    Senior Member Blackwater's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ERTP
    Posts
    454

    Default

    INTJs tend to "go off" on some spree of their own aligning all kinds of factors (Te) to fit with some end that they conjured up (Ni) and do so with a certitude that usually makes others think: "hmm, if they are so sure about it there must be something to it."

    alternatively, if you cross an INTJ they might do the same, only in an antagonistic manner. you say "1" and they'll run through the entire numerial sequence, comming back at you accusing you of having said "64763252". This all seems logical and they come off so strongly that only people who know them very well or are equally fanatical in their judgments dare stand up to them. robespierre was probably an INTJ.

    ---

    of all the types, INTJs are probably the type to treasure the MBTI the most. i was relieved to find out that i was an entp but it was nowhere near the excitement of some INTJs i've seen on and offline. sometimes i think that the whole myers briggs thing is merely a theater to the INTJs where they revel in the fact that they have been casted for the best part.

    and as such, the only types are chiefly valuable because they confirm the validity of the play.
    best collection of philosopher typings online

    http://www.celebritytypes.com/philosophers/

  4. #74
    The elder Holmes Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp
    Posts
    1,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    INTJs tend to "go off" on some spree of their own aligning all kinds of factors (Te) to fit with some end that they conjured up (Ni) and do so with a certitude that usually makes others think: "hmm, if they are so sure about it there must be something to it."

    alternatively, if you cross an INTJ they might do the same, only in an antagonistic manner. you say "1" and they'll run through the entire numerial sequence, comming back at you accusing you of having said "64763252". This all seems logical and they come off so strongly that only people who know them very well or are equally fanatical in their judgments.

    ---

    of all the types, INTJs are probably the type to treasure the MBTI the most. i was relieved to find out that i was an entp but it was nowhere near the excitement of some INTJs i've seen on and offline. sometimes i think that the whole myers briggs thing is merely a theater to the INTJs where they revel in the fact that they have been casted for the best part.

    and as such, the only types are chiefly valuable because they confirm the validity of the play.
    I don't suppose you'd care to, you know, substantiate any of these accusations?
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

    -- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

  5. #75
    Senior Member Blackwater's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ERTP
    Posts
    454

    Default

    this is always a predicament.

    when i last told a personal story to illustrate a general point i was promply accused of being anecdotal.


    EDIT oh and by the way: they are not accusations. they're general observations which you can take or leave according to how they may fit (or may not fit) with your actual personality. obviously, people aren't every facet of their type.

    if it seems like I am doing this for the sake of putting anyone down please know that I welcome input on ENTP-problem areas. lord knows there are plenty.
    best collection of philosopher typings online

    http://www.celebritytypes.com/philosophers/

  6. #76
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    11,925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Park View Post
    Hmm, my husband is an INTJ, my father an INTX and I have a INTJ friend as well. After a fair amount of though, I have to say, I don't find any of them intimidating and I don't find the INTJs I've meet online intimidating either. Stubborn, selfconfident, sometimes prejudiced but not intimidating in any way.
    I think that with their Ni dominance, INTJs more likely come across as shy, cautious, and broody, because their imaginations get confused with reality, and contrary to popular belief, the self-confidence associated with the INTJ is actually the complete opposite.

    And the reason INTJs can come across as assholes is because their Intuitive imagination combined with Thinking skepticism arouses a tendency to lash out at imagined slights.

  7. #77
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    this is always a predicament.

    when i last told a personal story to illustrate a general point i was promply accused of being anecdotal.


    EDIT oh and by the way: they are not accusations. they're general observations which you can take or leave according to how they may fit (or may not fit) with your actual personality. obviously, people aren't every facet of their type.

    if it seems like I am doing this for the sake of putting anyone down please know that I welcome input on ENTP-problem areas. lord knows there are plenty.

    I'm not sure how you wanted your comments to be taken if not as put-downs.
    I'm not sure why you felt the urge to jump into an INTJ discussion to tell us all what crappy examples of human beings we are and how glad you are that you aren't one of us.
    I will politely decline your invitation to give "input on ENTP problem areas" since I'm on this forum to discuss MBTI with people, not insult them.
    Obviously you were deeply traumatized by some INTJ somewhere. That's too bad. It's also too bad that the experience has prejudiced you against an entire group of people. So much so, in fact, that you just insulted a great number of them whom you have never met by making "observations" you will not back up with facts or experiences at the risk of having them called anecdotal.
    Should I take this behavior to be typical of all ENTPs?

  8. #78
    Senior Member Blackwater's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ERTP
    Posts
    454

    Default

    this is a great example of assuming a good deal more than what was actually expressed, Mendacity.

    I will politely decline your invitation to give "input on ENTP problem areas" since I'm on this forum to discuss MBTI with people, not insult them.
    yes yes. let's hush up the problematic tendencies associated with type. you have the moral high ground.
    best collection of philosopher typings online

    http://www.celebritytypes.com/philosophers/

  9. #79
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    this is a great example of assuming a good deal more than what was actually expressed, Mendacity.
    yes yes. let's hush up the problematic tendencies associated with type. you have the moral high ground.
    We were having a nice conversation and you walked in and insulted everyone. I have no problems with discussing the problematic tendencies associated with type (speaking of assuming a good deal more than what was actually expressed?), but I do take issue with insulting or antagonistic behavior.
    And I'm responding to this knowing it's a bad idea because you obviously just want a fight and apparently won't rest until you get one.
    Goodnight, Blackwater.

  10. #80
    Senior Member Blackwater's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ERTP
    Posts
    454

    Default

    look up my past posts. i don't fight but i do come right out and say things, skipping the usual soothing disclaimers.

    as I said:

    they're general observations which you can take or leave according to how they may fit (or may not fit) with your actual personality. obviously, people aren't every facet of their type.
    a parallel example:

    I say: "Americans are obese."

    You happen to be an American, but you also happen to be in control of your weight. - Why should you feel insulted?



    Of course, every American isn't obese. But compared to other nationalities Americans are obese.". Of course every INTJ isn't like robespierre. But compared to other types they probably are.
    Last edited by Blackwater; 09-21-2007 at 09:39 PM. Reason: clarified a point
    best collection of philosopher typings online

    http://www.celebritytypes.com/philosophers/

Similar Threads

  1. [INTJ] Ask an INTJ
    By logan235711 in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 870
    Last Post: 05-22-2015, 05:04 AM
  2. [INTJ] INTJ flirting
    By Usehername in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 101
    Last Post: 06-02-2010, 04:26 PM
  3. [INTJ] INTJ's Introverted Feeling - Child (Puer/Puella)
    By Zhash in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 01-04-2010, 09:06 AM
  4. [INTJ] INTJs and spelling
    By Natrushka in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 09-16-2007, 02:14 PM
  5. [INTJ] INTJ: Lack of Concentration?
    By Usehername in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-09-2007, 01:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO