User Tag List

First 132122232425 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Natrushka View Post
    Nevah.

I thought it made you argumentative and impulsive? Impulsively argumentantive?
    We'll have to adopt him into INTJhood.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Nevah.

I thought it made you argumentative and impulsive? Impulsively argumentantive?
    I actually blow things off unless someone stays in my face too long, then I explode. I do get impulsive once the snap happens, but the impulse only happens in my head while the act actually gets plotted out in exessive detail.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    So I guess that makes me scary then? :sad:
    Well I couldn't speak as to anything other than the incident you described... but seeing that it happened when you were 12 with your younger brother, I'd say not terribly. I've had some pretty scary fights with my little brother too.
    I only mentioned the fact that he was tested as having sociopathic tendencies because I think it's what might cause an otherwise incredibly intelligent and possibly INTJ person to act that way. And not about his brother or anything like that. I've watched him do some really scary things to virtual strangers or to friends while being totally calm or laughing about. Also, this is how he's acted his entire adult life (although he was slightly worse in his late teens and early 20s).

MBTI
    INTJ

Sociopathy does not inherently make a person worse, though. I suspect that there are a number of sociopathic professionals in this world who overall do well in life and may inadvertantly help many people.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    Sociopathy does not inherently make a person worse, though. I suspect that there are a number of sociopathic professionals in this world who overall do well in life and may inadvertantly help many people.
    I agree. Right now my friend is studying to be an engineer. He's the head of many engineering groups on campus (good for his resume) and recently went to visit NASA because one of his groups won some kind of design competition that NASA was having. As I said, he's brilliant.
    He just doesn't seem to have some of the same mental tools (empathy, impulse control, conscience) that most of the rest of us do.

MBTI
    INTJ

Nevermind me.

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    If we are using the clinical version of sociopath... it really does make a person worse. The normal view of "emotionless" and all that have nothing to do with how it is actually defined. It comes from the lack of responsibility and lack of remorse, but at the same time also has high reactivity, high agressiveness and low impulse control. They aren't the stone cold killers, except if you mean the ones that lose it when someone spills their drink, kills the guy and thinks it was ok

MBTI
    INTJ

That's pretty much what I'd posted as "nevermind me", pt - psychopaths are typically the ones who blend into society and you hear once they're caught "I would never have guessed, he was the perfect neighbour". Sociopaths tend to stand out in bad ways, they don't fit in. But then I figured 'sociopathic behaviour" might mean "INTJ"

Ironically I had this conversation with the husband this morning. Weird.

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    If we are using the clinical version of sociopath... it really does make a person worse. The normal view of "emotionless" and all that have nothing to do with how it is actually defined. It comes from the lack of responsibility and lack of remorse, but at the same time also has high reactivity, high agressiveness and low impulse control. They aren't the stone cold killers, except if you mean the ones that lose it when someone spills their drink, kills the guy and thinks it was ok
    noted. Sometimes I wish I had less impulse control.

MBTI
    ISTP

Ironically I had this conversation with the husband this morning. Weird.
    INTJs do typically have a cross over of traits - stuff like lack of remorse, taking what they want - relative to the general population. I don't find it unusual that most people think of INTJs as sociopaths, even in jest. Most I-T- tend to have those traits, however...

Although I'd say that psychopathy and sociopathy are pretty much the same with different explanations as to their cause... but the problem is that the first definition of psychopathy involved a lot of positive traits. Only once the actual condition was analysed that the whole "stone cold" stuff sort of went away... still remains in the public eye... and it isn't entirely wrong, either, since there is a section of psychopaths that are like that. Worse is the theory that psychopaths compose a significant portion of the population, except they blend in - the "Executive" type... but that has mostly be shown to be just that, a theory. It's pretty much unprovable since nearly anyone diagnosed with sociopathy ends up doing some pretty serious criminal acts.

In short, they just don't understand what they do as wrong and invariably do it. Some (more impulsive types) earlier than others, but almost all at a relatively young age.

In any case, I think both terms are in the midst of being passe - I expect that they will be replaced with anti-social behaviour entirely eventually.

And forget the whole type 1 and type 2 divisions between social and genetic things, where in theory, genetic sociopaths are the stone cold manipulators ala psychopathy and social psychopaths are the impulsive sociopaths!

The whole thing just irritates me. Unless you go by a pretty fixed instrument, like the DSM, I think no one has any clue what is meant by sociopath/psychopath.

But I do take a bit of an exception to the term being used in connection with personality theories