User Tag List

First 5131415161725 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Yes. If there's one term that conjures feelings of tolerance and magnanimity it's "crusade".
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

MBTI
    ERTP

yes! let's nitpick words rather than look at any intended meaning meaning behind them
    best collection of philosopher typings online

http://www.celebritytypes.com/philosophers/

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    yes! let's nitpick words rather than look at any intended meaning meaning behind them

Fixed!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ERTP

best collection of philosopher typings online

http://www.celebritytypes.com/philosophers/

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Mendacity View Post
    Was ptgatsby's point that INTJ intimidation a result of our reputation for writing people off? I was never actually clear on that.
    No. The point was that other people sense the evaluation going on in the INTJs mind and react to it. No one knows what criteria is being used, no one knows how it will manifest. It's like being constantly watched.

Even in my relationship at home it happens. If I don't do the dishes the right way, ouch. In business, if I didn't accomplish (x)... at work, if I don't deliver exactly something right (of course all of these being subjective to the INTJ), the weighing.

It's not reputation - the reputation exists because of the behaviour but the same complaints come from those that have no idea about personality. One advantage though, it rarely comes from INTJs after their 30s, or at least, I've never felt the same way with the older ones.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    No. The point was that other people sense the evaluation going on in the INTJs mind and react to it. No one knows what criteria is being used, no one knows how it will manifest. It's like being constantly watched.

Even in my relationship at home it happens. If I don't do the dishes the right way, ouch. In business, if I didn't accomplish (x)... at work, if I don't deliver exactly something right (of course all of these being subjective to the INTJ), the weighing.

It's not reputation - the reputation exists because of the behaviour but the same complaints come from those that have no idea about personality. One advantage though, it rarely comes from INTJs after their 30s, or at least, I've never felt the same way with the older ones.
    It's possible some people felt you were attacking INTJ's by mentioning this reputation. You see, it could have been construed as implying that INTJ's only care about people if they meet certain logical criteria, and while they may be irritated if they don't meet them, I don't believe that.

I know that probably isn't what you meant, I'm just saying it could be taken that way.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

My best friend is an INTP married to an INTJ, and this is definitely the case in that relationship. The INTJ had a very rough childhood and spent a lot of time being perpetually angry (left over from feeling to helpless during childhood), which does not help whatsoever; but the INTJ is naturally extremely critical of anything (whether it's how the dishes are washed or when the dog is walked or how the daughters are put to bed) ... just "pick pick pick". The INTP couldn't seem to do anything right, and it became a large issue in the relationship. Even if the INTJ did not say anything, it was clear they were still thinking it. This is an extreme case, of course.

(I only mention INTP vs INTJ because it offers a nice contrast between two generally freethinking NT types, highlighting a difference.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    It's possible some people felt you were attacking INTJ's by mentioning this reputation. You see, it could have been construed as implying that INTJ's only care about people if they meet certain logical criteria, and while they may be irritated if they don't meet them, I don't believe that.

I know that probably isn't what you meant, I'm just saying it could be taken that way.
    Hmm. I take it back then.

I looked back over the thread quickly, I didn't see any mention of reputation in my post... but maybe I didn't think one of my posts through... where did this impression come from?

I can only speak from my personal experiences, but:
    Most of the people who found me intimidating at one point get past it relatively quickly. Usually it happens after they get to know me a little better than a first meeting might allow.
    It's not that I'm constantly evaluating someone. Maybe this is different from most INTJs, but I think this is what people were trying to say when they mentioned that they only write people off for huge betrayals and the like. I, too, am in the habit of only writing people off for rather large reasons.
    I can be critical, but as I said I won't write someone off for something small.

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I think Economica's E-type is a 1, while a lot of other INTJs here are probably 5s, 6s or possibly 8s.
    What is this of which you speak?

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Mendacity View Post
    I can be critical, but as I said I won't write someone off for something small.
    That must of been the wrong impression I gave. Writting off doesn't have to be "I'll never talk to you again". It's the judgment that matters. Forget everything else I said since I seem to have given the wrong impression. INTJs weigh everything and they aren't as subtle as they think. Every interaction has this weighing quality... The rest of us feel it and it feels exactly like we will be written off once the - add up to more than the +.

All of this "I don't do that unless it's really major", IMO, ignores the underlying point.

(And yes, as you get closer to people, you may stop weighing them as much. Strong Js and strong Ts seem to have this nature more too, so it does vary, I'm sure.)

What is this of which you speak?
    Enneagram