• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] INTJ Intimidation

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Nevah. :smile:

I thought it made you argumentative and impulsive? Impulsively argumentantive?

I actually blow things off unless someone stays in my face too long, then I explode. I do get impulsive once the snap happens, but the impulse only happens in my head while the act actually gets plotted out in exessive detail.

Mendacity

So I guess that makes me scary then? :sad:

Well I couldn't speak as to anything other than the incident you described... but seeing that it happened when you were 12 with your younger brother, I'd say not terribly. I've had some pretty scary fights with my little brother too.
I only mentioned the fact that he was tested as having sociopathic tendencies because I think it's what might cause an otherwise incredibly intelligent and possibly INTJ person to act that way. And not about his brother or anything like that. I've watched him do some really scary things to virtual strangers or to friends while being totally calm or laughing about. Also, this is how he's acted his entire adult life (although he was slightly worse in his late teens and early 20s).

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Sociopathy does not inherently make a person worse, though. I suspect that there are a number of sociopathic professionals in this world who overall do well in life and may inadvertantly help many people.

Mendacity

Sociopathy does not inherently make a person worse, though. I suspect that there are a number of sociopathic professionals in this world who overall do well in life and may inadvertantly help many people.

I agree. Right now my friend is studying to be an engineer. He's the head of many engineering groups on campus (good for his resume) and recently went to visit NASA because one of his groups won some kind of design competition that NASA was having. As I said, he's brilliant.
He just doesn't seem to have some of the same mental tools (empathy, impulse control, conscience) that most of the rest of us do.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP

If we are using the clinical version of sociopath... it really does make a person worse. The normal view of "emotionless" and all that have nothing to do with how it is actually defined. It comes from the lack of responsibility and lack of remorse, but at the same time also has high reactivity, high agressiveness and low impulse control. They aren't the stone cold killers, except if you mean the ones that lose it when someone spills their drink, kills the guy and thinks it was ok :D

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
That's pretty much what I'd posted as "nevermind me", pt - psychopaths are typically the ones who blend into society and you hear once they're caught "I would never have guessed, he was the perfect neighbour". Sociopaths tend to stand out in bad ways, they don't fit in. But then I figured 'sociopathic behaviour" might mean "INTJ" :D

Ironically I had this conversation with the husband this morning. Weird.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
If we are using the clinical version of sociopath... it really does make a person worse. The normal view of "emotionless" and all that have nothing to do with how it is actually defined. It comes from the lack of responsibility and lack of remorse, but at the same time also has high reactivity, high agressiveness and low impulse control. They aren't the stone cold killers, except if you mean the ones that lose it when someone spills their drink, kills the guy and thinks it was ok :D

noted. Sometimes I wish I had less impulse control.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Ironically I had this conversation with the husband this morning. Weird.

INTJs do typically have a cross over of traits - stuff like lack of remorse, taking what they want - relative to the general population. I don't find it unusual that most people think of INTJs as sociopaths, even in jest. Most I-T- tend to have those traits, however...

Although I'd say that psychopathy and sociopathy are pretty much the same with different explanations as to their cause... but the problem is that the first definition of psychopathy involved a lot of positive traits. Only once the actual condition was analysed that the whole "stone cold" stuff sort of went away... still remains in the public eye... and it isn't entirely wrong, either, since there is a section of psychopaths that are like that. Worse is the theory that psychopaths compose a significant portion of the population, except they blend in - the "Executive" type... but that has mostly be shown to be just that, a theory. It's pretty much unprovable since nearly anyone diagnosed with sociopathy ends up doing some pretty serious criminal acts.

In short, they just don't understand what they do as wrong and invariably do it. Some (more impulsive types) earlier than others, but almost all at a relatively young age.

In any case, I think both terms are in the midst of being passe - I expect that they will be replaced with anti-social behaviour entirely eventually.

And forget the whole type 1 and type 2 divisions between social and genetic things, where in theory, genetic sociopaths are the stone cold manipulators ala psychopathy and social psychopaths are the impulsive sociopaths!

The whole thing just irritates me. Unless you go by a pretty fixed instrument, like the DSM, I think no one has any clue what is meant by sociopath/psychopath.

But I do take a bit of an exception to the term being used in connection with personality theories :D

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I always had a problem with throwing things around and so forth...but I'm usually conscious of not breaking things that are too expensive and valued, like my computer, for instance (although I have smashed my keyboard more than once).

But yes, I love to throw things around when I'm pissed off. I also love to yell at people. Although I'm normally not around people, so I usually pretend I'm yelling at someone by yelling into the air.

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
INTJs do typically have a cross over of traits - stuff like lack of remorse, taking what they want - relative to the general population. I don't find it unusual that most people think of INTJs as sociopaths, even in jest. Most I-T- tend to have those traits, however...

LOL, FYI, the conversation wasn't in relation to me (or him) <snort> Or maybe it was - my major was Sociology / Criminology.

But I do take a bit of an exception to the term being used in connection with personality theories :D

Ditto.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
LOL, FYI, the conversation wasn't in relation to me (or him) <snort> Or maybe it was - my major was Sociology / Criminology.

Ditto.

Ew. I was a criminal justice major for like one semester before I realized that I wanted nothing to do with memorizing court cases and their respective precedents.

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
Nah, it wasn't like that, it had a sociological bent, i.e, focussed on deviant behaviour.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Damn, that would have been so much more interesting. Good thing I go to a small school (roughly the same size as my high school was, in fact).

Mendacity

The whole thing just irritates me. Unless you go by a pretty fixed instrument, like the DSM, I think no one has any clue what is meant by sociopath/psychopath.
I do not think that INTJs are sociopaths. Or even similar to sociopaths. Nor am I saying that I think he's a sociopath, I'm saying that a professional psychologist thought he had sociopathic tendencies.
I'm not an expert in the least about psychology. His mom told me he'd tested with sociopathic tendencies one of the times he was court ordered to get some kind of mental help. This was in 1998 when he and I were both 18, that she told me this. I do not know if he was tested the same year or earlier, and how that might affect results. :huh:
I didn't mean to say that INTJs are sociopaths or exhibit sociopathic behavior. So if that's how you interpreted it you misunderstood me. I was talking about the behavior of a specific person that I *think* may be an INTJ for reasons unrelated to the sociopathic bit and *also* happens to have tested with these tendencies according to his mom.
I don't pretend to draw a correlation between the two, other than to suggest that this may be the reason for possible non-typical INTJ behavior under certain circumstances.
I don't consider any of the other two INTJs I know personally in real life (three if you include me) to exhibit anything in the least bit sociopathic in their behavior... nor do I personally claim to understand MBTI (which I'm pretty new to) or psychology (which I know very little about) well enough to draw connections between types and any kind of psychological diagnosis.
It comes from the lack of responsibility and lack of remorse, but at the same time also has high reactivity, high agressiveness and low impulse control.
This is actually the behavior I was talking about. :happy:

Either I'm having difficulty making myself clear in posts or people are just skimming them :(
I'm completely willing to believe the problem is the former and I apologize profusely:)

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I always thought sociopath meant you know it's wrong but do it anyway and psychopath means you don't have the capacity to know it's wrong.

G

GirlAmerica

When I read about Schizoid behavior, it kind of scared me....because I identified so much with parts of it (for the most part, except having only 1st degree relative relationships and lack of sexual interest with another person).
Then I realized any mental illness type behavior is really just behavior (and of course behavior can be very specific to type) magnified to a very unhealthy/sick state of being.

So, I accepted that when I am completely emotionally over-stimulated....I can become much like the definition of Schizoid type behavior.....

PTypes - Correspondence of PTypes, Keirsey, Enneagram, Psychiatric, and Astrological Types

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My INTJ brother-in-law has these scary angry explosions.

He's quite a bit younger than my wife or the other brother. So my mother-in-law (ESFJ) has kind of controlled him. I tried to get him to go away to college, but he stayed at home and commuted to school (he finally got his own apartment).

Anyway, my wife thinks he has these explosions as a way of asserting his wants/needs/personality. Makes sense to me.

I've only witnessed one of these myself, probably cause we get along when we hang out.

Recluse

MBTI Type
INXP
When I read about Schizoid behavior, it kind of scared me....because I identified so much with parts of it (for the most part, except having only 1st degree relative relationships and lack of sexual interest with another person).

Same here.

I was even described as having "schizoid features" several years back when I tried to join the Air Force. At first I thought they were saying that I had multiple personalities. But no, it's just me. And I like it that way.