User Tag List

12 Last

Default I/ENTPs and Mental Paralysis

I'll cut right to the chase:

1. Do any of you ever feel as though you don't (or possibly, won't ever) understand anything to the extent that you'd like? Please note that when I say 'anything', I'm referring to big Q questions on the level of morality, tolerance, piety, justice, reality, etc.

2. Does the ability to see so many different (and often contradictory) sides of a given issue ever leave you feeling paralyzed? If so, how do you overcome it when asked to place "premature" judgment upon something?

3. Is "mental paralysis" more prevalent in younger I/ENTPs, or does it withstand the test of time?

I poked through the forum a fair amount before posting and I'm fairly certain that these issues haven't been directly addressed in the OP of any recent threads? My apologies if I'm beating a very dead horse. D:
    Naked on a mountaintop. Brb.

MBTI
    SEXY

Quote Originally Posted by cattywample View Post

1. Do any of you ever feel as though you don't (or possibly, won't ever) understand anything to the extent that you'd like? Please note that when I say 'anything', I'm referring to big Q questions on the level of morality, tolerance, piety, justice, reality, etc.
    No, They're arbitrary rules, so there is no right or wrong answers. Everything I can think of is as valid as anything else and therefore I understand these rules completely.

2. Does the ability to see so many different (and often contradictory) sides of a given issue ever leave you feeling paralyzed? If so, how do you overcome it when asked to place "premature" judgment upon something?
    No, it doesn't leave me feeling paralyzed. It leaves me knowing two sides of a story. If asked what I think about that subject I give my arguments for and against and let them decide. When I really have to myself I weigh the pro's and con's.

3. Is "mental paralysis" more prevalent in younger I/ENTPs, or does it withstand the test of time?
    What's mental paralysis?

MBTI
    INTP

There are many things that I don't understand to my satisfaction. I attribute this lack of understanding to insufficient study, as opposed to a lack of ability, however.

I don't know what is meant by "paralyzed".

I don't know what is meant by "mental paralysis".

garbage

No.. these topics have so much depth (possibly infinite) to them, so they're usually interesting to delve into.

All the time. A given sign can be evidence for multiple conclusions, so it can be difficult to know exactly how to act based upon a collection of evidence. I always end up in a conversation with myself about the conclusions I've drawn, since the evidence can point in another direction.

How to overcome it?

Apply your ability to synthesize multiple perspectives by seeking the advice of many other people.

Or, if nothing else, just start moving. Do something.. get the ball rolling. A moving car is easier to steer in the right direction than one that's standing still.

Go with your gut. Often, it's not going to be wrong. And, even if it is, you're actually moving.

I think overcoming mental paralysis comes with experience and maturity.

See also: overthinking stuff

MBTI
    entp

I poked through the forum a fair amount before posting and I'm fairly certain that these issues haven't been directly addressed in the OP of any recent threads? My apologies if I'm beating a very dead horse. D:
    1. no. why would i 'ever' not understand something? 'ever' implies end of time or end of me...i really dont see either happening anytime soon

2. yes. bombard the situation with mroe questions to narrow a possibility. use experience to narrow possibility. if its a work thing, ask people...social thing, listen to myself

3. it probably comes and goes depending on your life situation though maturity should help you to deal with it better

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I'm beating a very dead horse. D:
    here's a moral question:
    is it better to beat a dead horse or a live horse?
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    ENTP

1. Yes, and for my response I try to prove myself wrong. Which leads to the pursuit of all encompassing, overarching, universal principles deduced by flawed hyper-Aristotelianism.

2. Yes. I think that is one of the causes of my fickle depression.

3. No clue. I hope not.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Yes, but it doesn't keep me from trying.

Dillemma's can sure be troubling, but they are most intruiging as well. I overcome a premature judgement because I know I'll have made the best possible judgement I could have at that time. There's no need for regrets.

Definatly more prevalent in younger minds. I think I'm pretty much passed the negativity at this point in life. But I had a troubling period in which I struggled greatly with all this.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    xxxx

Why would I even WANT to understand everything? Discovery is half of the fun anyways. If I understood everything, what would the point of thinking?

On the other hand, it's all subjective. While I like to model objectivity, it simply isn't possible to be fully objective. To gain an objective view of any issue is simply impossible. Therefore, any subjective view is as "acceptable" as any other subjective idea, per se.

Logically, when faced with a decision, I must make the best one based on the knowledge I am provided with, regardless of it is the "right" judgment. Thus, I make a judgment regardless of my understand. What is to regret about the best possible judgment I could have made? Even if, in retrospect, I discover that that judgment is not as good as the one I would have made had I been provided with more information, the best use for the decision is to learn from it and apply the lesson to future circumstances, not to be stuck in the past.

By mental paralysis, do you mean a state induced by excessive thought to the point that making judgments is rendered impossible?
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

1. I used to, but over time found that a level of pragmatism combined with a sense of empathy does well to function regarding those issues. It's interesting how simple those questions start to become as you assemble the core parts into the cohesive whole. For example, what is our entire criminal law system but a speciation of the Golden Rule?

2. I don't find that to be the case so much anymore, though it does pop up from time to time. Enough time has gone by to see enough of the patterns where one can figure out the logical consequences of a given action. At that point, you simply pick the consequence you find to be ideal in that situation. The seemingly innate predilection toward egalitarianism often helps inform this. Also, being taught in an environment geared toward SJs does help anchor one to the thought that hard rules are good sometimes - not because of any inherent usefulness, but because they're data points within the logical pattern of human interaction. If you want this done, you're going to have to do this, this and this, not because they make any sense, but because it simply makes the process go more smoothly, irrational as it may be.

3. I think this is characteristic of someone still trying to find their identity. Once you've figured out what works for you, I see little reason why it wouldn't be easier to make a decision based on past information that has been synthesized and internalized.