• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] I/ENTPs and Mental Paralysis

cattywample

MBTI Type
eNFP
I'll cut right to the chase:

1. Do any of you ever feel as though you don't (or possibly, won't ever) understand anything to the extent that you'd like? Please note that when I say 'anything', I'm referring to big Q questions on the level of morality, tolerance, piety, justice, reality, etc.

2. Does the ability to see so many different (and often contradictory) sides of a given issue ever leave you feeling paralyzed? If so, how do you overcome it when asked to place "premature" judgment upon something?

3. Is "mental paralysis" more prevalent in younger I/ENTPs, or does it withstand the test of time?

I poked through the forum a fair amount before posting and I'm fairly certain that these issues haven't been directly addressed in the OP of any recent threads? My apologies if I'm beating a very dead horse. D:

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY

1. Do any of you ever feel as though you don't (or possibly, won't ever) understand anything to the extent that you'd like? Please note that when I say 'anything', I'm referring to big Q questions on the level of morality, tolerance, piety, justice, reality, etc.

No, They're arbitrary rules, so there is no right or wrong answers. Everything I can think of is as valid as anything else and therefore I understand these rules completely.

2. Does the ability to see so many different (and often contradictory) sides of a given issue ever leave you feeling paralyzed? If so, how do you overcome it when asked to place "premature" judgment upon something?

No, it doesn't leave me feeling paralyzed. It leaves me knowing two sides of a story. If asked what I think about that subject I give my arguments for and against and let them decide. When I really have to myself I weigh the pro's and con's.

3. Is "mental paralysis" more prevalent in younger I/ENTPs, or does it withstand the test of time?

What's mental paralysis?

Helios

MBTI Type
INTP

There are many things that I don't understand to my satisfaction. I attribute this lack of understanding to insufficient study, as opposed to a lack of ability, however.

I don't know what is meant by "paralyzed".

I don't know what is meant by "mental paralysis".

G

garbage

No.. these topics have so much depth (possibly infinite) to them, so they're usually interesting to delve into.

All the time. A given sign can be evidence for multiple conclusions, so it can be difficult to know exactly how to act based upon a collection of evidence. I always end up in a conversation with myself about the conclusions I've drawn, since the evidence can point in another direction.

How to overcome it?

Apply your ability to synthesize multiple perspectives by seeking the advice of many other people.

Or, if nothing else, just start moving. Do something.. get the ball rolling. A moving car is easier to steer in the right direction than one that's standing still.

Go with your gut. Often, it's not going to be wrong. And, even if it is, you're actually moving.

I think overcoming mental paralysis comes with experience and maturity.

See also: overthinking stuff

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp

I poked through the forum a fair amount before posting and I'm fairly certain that these issues haven't been directly addressed in the OP of any recent threads? My apologies if I'm beating a very dead horse. D:

1. no. why would i 'ever' not understand something? 'ever' implies end of time or end of me...i really dont see either happening anytime soon

2. yes. bombard the situation with mroe questions to narrow a possibility. use experience to narrow possibility. if its a work thing, ask people...social thing, listen to myself

3. it probably comes and goes depending on your life situation though maturity should help you to deal with it better

Argus

MBTI Type
ENTP

1. Yes, and for my response I try to prove myself wrong. Which leads to the pursuit of all encompassing, overarching, universal principles deduced by flawed hyper-Aristotelianism.

2. Yes. I think that is one of the causes of my fickle depression.

3. No clue. I hope not.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Yes, but it doesn't keep me from trying.

Dillemma's can sure be troubling, but they are most intruiging as well. I overcome a premature judgement because I know I'll have made the best possible judgement I could have at that time. There's no need for regrets.

Definatly more prevalent in younger minds. I think I'm pretty much passed the negativity at this point in life. But I had a troubling period in which I struggled greatly with all this.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx

Why would I even WANT to understand everything? Discovery is half of the fun anyways. If I understood everything, what would the point of thinking?

On the other hand, it's all subjective. While I like to model objectivity, it simply isn't possible to be fully objective. To gain an objective view of any issue is simply impossible. Therefore, any subjective view is as "acceptable" as any other subjective idea, per se.

Logically, when faced with a decision, I must make the best one based on the knowledge I am provided with, regardless of it is the "right" judgment. Thus, I make a judgment regardless of my understand. What is to regret about the best possible judgment I could have made? Even if, in retrospect, I discover that that judgment is not as good as the one I would have made had I been provided with more information, the best use for the decision is to learn from it and apply the lesson to future circumstances, not to be stuck in the past.

By mental paralysis, do you mean a state induced by excessive thought to the point that making judgments is rendered impossible?

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
1. I used to, but over time found that a level of pragmatism combined with a sense of empathy does well to function regarding those issues. It's interesting how simple those questions start to become as you assemble the core parts into the cohesive whole. For example, what is our entire criminal law system but a speciation of the Golden Rule?

2. I don't find that to be the case so much anymore, though it does pop up from time to time. Enough time has gone by to see enough of the patterns where one can figure out the logical consequences of a given action. At that point, you simply pick the consequence you find to be ideal in that situation. The seemingly innate predilection toward egalitarianism often helps inform this. Also, being taught in an environment geared toward SJs does help anchor one to the thought that hard rules are good sometimes - not because of any inherent usefulness, but because they're data points within the logical pattern of human interaction. If you want this done, you're going to have to do this, this and this, not because they make any sense, but because it simply makes the process go more smoothly, irrational as it may be.

3. I think this is characteristic of someone still trying to find their identity. Once you've figured out what works for you, I see little reason why it wouldn't be easier to make a decision based on past information that has been synthesized and internalized.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1.Do any of you ever feel as though you don't (or possibly, won't ever) understand anything to the extent that you'd like? Please note that when I say 'anything', I'm referring to big Q questions on the level of morality, tolerance, piety, justice, reality, etc.

We will never be able to understand it all completely to the extent I would like. I thought I could when i was very young but realized how fruitless it was, eventually.

One problem is that we don't know what we don't know -- hence, a gray area.

Second, it's too complex and involves some seeming paradox in parts of the system.

Third, there always has to be some grounding assumptions... and no matter what logic is used after that fact, the assumptions that have to be made (even about what sort of discourse is productive) means that the rational effigy raised will potentially have clay feet.

Yes, all the time. It took me a very LONG time in life to make decisions and draw conclusions in the face of this paralyzation -- it became more about "What do you want to do?" rather than "What conclusions can you 100% support and thus do?"

There's also the issue of competing needs -- one answer is rational but it undermines relationships that I have learned to value, the other answer might maintain the relationships but undermine my understanding of the issue. And then we also come down to giving up an elegant but unrealistic solution in order to implement something less desirable that still accomplishes much of the goal.

Deciding which of these is more important in a given context is a personal values choice... or at least demands a new way of recrunching the data.

How do I overcome it? I just make the best decision I can, tell myself I have to live with the results, and reserve the option to change course in mid-stream if necessary or if more info comes to light.

This last bit is the most important; I am not making a "permanent" decision, I am just making a temporary one and can change it whenever I want, which relieves anxiety.

Also, with experience comes confidence, and with confidence in one's own power/efficacy comes the ability to plunge ahead even if not ALL information is known or understood.

I think it's far more prevalent when young, until you get some life experience under your belt and learn the reality of engaging a tangible fallible imperfect world. More successful NTPs will learn how to navigate real life as they gain more experience... or withdraw from it.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram

On the level of morality, tolerance, piety and justice, I dont think so no. But concerning reality: yes

Well first of all, I barely see things in things that contradict each other, they can be antithetic but they are nevertheless in a relation, if I see em.

2nd I dont often see many different views on a thing at once, illumination comes with time. Given MBTI for example I am now fitted with several mental constructs you can approach the topic with or the topic can influence you. That's frustrating yes and my attempts to vent about that in threads didnt meet much acceptance.

Ultimately I consider it as a form of wisdom to be able to tell someone different PoVs on a given situation, but without leaving him confused, rather than to give him a new idea.

What I accept for myself as the truth, I dont know really. I dont think that I am about to take one side, I will rather try and stay in the middle. But when push would come to show, I am sure I would try my best and be a good person in the general sense, tho I would know there are different ways to understand the term "good person"

I would say yes and no, depends on your life. I have seen mature entps who are ultimately depressed, while I myself went through it when I was young.

Its something like a closed chapter to me nowadays and I dont think I can ever get into that state again, cause I have found my truth in it.

But there are still alot of discoveries lieing ahead and I dont know if one of them can corrupt me again, I cant say for sure. What I tho can say for sure, self-reflection and contemplation about life will be my saviour till the day I die.

Bubbles

See Right Through Me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Mm, as an INFP, I can actually relate to a lot of these issues. Having infinite possibilities and therefore having issues deciding on which are the most ethical, productive, etc, is very paralyzing to me. I'm finding the answers on this thread pretty interesting, honestly. :D

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa
Realizing I can't know it all have really just affected............how I handle what I don't know.

I pay less attention to what I do know and kind of focus my intuition on the stuff I don't.

I don't know if that makes any sense.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
sounds like the badass tautology, which is life to me

cattywample

MBTI Type
eNFP
I'm sorry for taking such a long vacation from this thread– summer finals/projects were eating up all of my time. Thanks to everyone who responded, though! As soon as I get home from my hike today I'll read over all of your answers.

As for the confusion over 'Mental Paralysis'....

By mental paralysis, do you mean a state induced by excessive thought to the point that making judgments is rendered impossible?

I do.

...I probably should have known better than to use my own homegrown terms.
:doh:

Tiny Army

MBTI Type
EN?P
Enneagram

I do sometimes feel this way but I always put it down to a lack of effort on my part.

[2. Does the ability to see so many different (and often contradictory) sides of a given issue ever leave you feeling paralyzed? If so, how do you overcome it when asked to place "premature" judgment upon something?

If I have to make a decision based on the information. I cannot make a decision until all sides of an argument are explored. Sometimes I will delay making a decision until I can consolidate the best aspects of each argument into one more efficient argument. This can take forever.

[3. Is "mental paralysis" more prevalent in younger I/ENTPs, or does it withstand the test of time?

I don't know. I'm still young. Doesn't seem like there is an end in sight, though.