User Tag List

First 12

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Art (and literature is a kind of art) is contextual. The history of art is the context in which the current works are interpreted. I'm really just a beginner at such interpretation, but even I can see that it's so.
    I am beginning to see what you mean. But as someone with little knowledge of context of this sort, not a way to integrate that context into something coherent, I have a hard time appreciating it.

Isn't history just a bunch of accidental events strung together by cause and effect? ( ) What sense can we make of context?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I am beginning to see what you mean. But as someone with little knowledge of context of this sort, not a way to integrate that context into something coherent, I have a hard time appreciating it.

Isn't history just a bunch of accidental events strung together by cause and effect? ( ) What sense can we make of context?
    You start by being aware that the artist was aware of the context.

To pick a trivial example, you might not think there was any reason for me to call my blog "The Rash Wanton Tarries" if you weren't aware that one of Oberon's early lines to Titania in Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream was "Tarry, rash wanton!"

As I said, that's a trivial example...good art uses context in much more important ways than that.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Isn't history just a bunch of accidental events strung together by cause and effect?
    Your linking of "accidental" with "cause and effect" is making my head spin. This is a usage of the term "accidental" with which I am unfamiliar.

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Your linking of "accidental" with "cause and effect" is making my head spin. This is a usage of the term "accidental" with which I am unfamiliar.
    What I meant was more a mechanism is running with some randomness built in. We study science to learn both the mechanism and the probabily of reandomevents. What does knowledge of the particular events add to our understanding? ( )

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield