• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] How my Ti functions (crude representation) vs. F in an "argument"

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Seeing aeon has registered here, it reminded me of an exchange a while back, and thought I would share there:

I posted this over at INFPg on Those of you who post on INTPCentral, why do you?

I'm going to show you how I think during the quoted argument above and how it determines my response.
Here is the original post:
aeon said:
That makes me doubt INTP analysis, as that has to be one of the weakest tests and most-flawed assumptions one could make based on the data.
In any case, only those who are immature, ignorant, unintelligent, ethically corrupt, or spiritually bankrupt would engage in teasing and harshness as a means to go about the world.
Or maybe they are 3 years old. ;-)

cheers,
Ian
And here is how I break it down:
That makes me doubt INTP analysis,
Analysis: postulated conclusion
Mode: respond
as that has to be one of the weakest tests and most-flawed assumptions one could make based on the data.
Analysis: subjective conclusion
Mode: ignore
In any case, only those who are immature, ignorant, unintelligent, ethically corrupt, or spiritually bankrupt would engage in teasing and harshness as a means to go about the world.
Analysis: joke
cheers,
Ian
Analysis: social nicety designed to mitgate negativity

Output: Engage humor, respond to postulated conclusion, expand analysis

MacGuffin said:
LOL, we can act like toddlers sometimes.
It is more to determine how you will behave in the future when the chips are down. We want to see if you can call us on our B.S. instead of falling apart.
We aren't the best a nuturing other's feelings, so if we feel we have to walk on eggshells around you all the time, we will try to avoid that kind of relationship.

Any thoughts?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Seeing aeon has registered here, it reminded me of an exchange a while back, and thought I would share there:

I posted this over at INFPg on Those of you who post on INTPCentral, why do you?

I'm going to show you how I think during the quoted argument above and how it determines my response.

Analysis: social nicety designed to mitigate negativity

Any thoughts?

Interesting. My analysis/perception would have been (very remotely) similar, assuming I had responded, but my response would have been somewhat different (probably due to how Fe operates). Like so:
That makes me doubt INTP analysis, as that has to be one of the weakest tests and most-flawed assumptions one could make based on the data.

Perception: Criticism of usefulness of Ti, declared support for empiricism along with implication that Ti runs counter to it, basically an unqualified and unsupported assertion.

Response: Counter with instances in which Ti is a useful tool, show that it is not incompatible with empiricism, and provide generally agreeable examples to show this, making my argument more persuasive than his.

Perception: Unsupported moral critique of INTP behavior based on a limited perspective.

Response: Counter with instances in which said group of people did not engage in such practices, with an acknowledgment that some INTP's do behave like this along with a claim that it isn't representative of the entire group. Add examples of where harsh criticism that was generally interpreted as teasing proved useful in the final result.

cheers,
Ian

Perception: Standard signature
Response: Ignore

I think I was clear enough about how I would have responded that I don't actually need to write out a response.

In any case, I think my auxiliary Fe makes me more responsive to every part of the statement compared with a dominant Ti's intense focus on the underlying logic, and weaker awareness/concern with the potential implications from a social/emotional perspective (likely due to their inferior Fe).

This seems to confirm my perception of what Ti and Fe do. Ti manipulates an external system via internal rules, and Fe manipulates an internal system via external rules. Obviously, both parties try to manipulate/change what the other considers solid, and hold firmly to what the other considers reasonably subject to change. This is why IxTP's and ExFJ's (and perhaps more generally ExxJ's and IxxP's) typically clash, a failure to acknowledge the validity of the other's reality due to the discomfort it brings them to do so.

So, that was how my mental processes would function in a similar situation.

Did this make sense?

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Your avatar suggests you are Darth Vader, but the reactions in your post paint you more like the Terminator. ;)

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This seems to confirm my perception of what Ti and Fe do. Ti manipulates an external system via internal rules, and Fe manipulates an internal system via external rules. Obviously, both parties try to manipulate/change what the other considers solid, and hold firmly to what the other considers reasonably subject to change. This is why IxTP's and ExFJ's (and perhaps more generally ExxJ's and IxxP's) typically clash, a failure to acknowledge the validity of the other's reality due to the discomfort it brings them to do so.

So, that was how my mental processes would function in a similar situation.

Did this make sense?

Yes, thanks that was interesting.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP

Analysis: social nicety designed to mitgate negativity

Any thoughts?

interesting. i like how you broke it down like that.

while i tend to do the same, there is a definite difference in how. i was going to demonstrate that by breaking it down with how i'd respond, but it came out like this:

Originally Posted by aeon

cheers,
Ian

assuming this is our first exchange...

analysis: wow, what a load of subjective self-righteous blather.

1. person is too happy to not only make snap judgements, but to also be far too certain of them

AND/OR

2. person is just trying to start shit

therefore:

a. explanation would most likely fall on deaf ears

b. replying wouldn't be efficient; life's too short to care about this person's opinion

mode:

1. ignore

OR

2. make fun of them then ignore them, thus encouraging more hatred, continue to ignore mostly by accident as i will have most likely forgotten this exchange completely