• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTJ] Creative ideas and the need to control

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I pose these questions mainly with ENTJ's in mind (I think), but my reasoning for having them in mind could be off, so I'd really like to hear from all NT's. As an INTP, I have many entrepreneurial ideas, but I often times have trouble extroverting those ideas (i.e. turning them into reality). I'm starting a non-profit corporation and, in time, I'd like to hand partial control over to an ENTJ. I want to handle the behind the scenes things and I want him/her to come on board and handle the actual execution of a lot of things. My "I" and my "P" can, if I allow them, be absolute killers in terms of running any kind of organization. My natural "I" keeps me turned inward and wanting to shy away from people. I'm capable of talking to people, but I watch ENTP's and ENTJ's and I think they're brilliant in many ways. The "P" can be a serious problem as well. I think it does have some positives (flexibilitly, willingness to bounce around when necessary, strange or inconsistent hours can be tolerated, etc.). But, the ENTJ's have that follow-through attribute. They are focused on completion.

Anyways, I'm not looking for a "puppet" to take orders and run my organization for me. And I don't think ENTJ's fit that mold anyways. The ones I've known are leaders. I'm looking more for a partner with a dynamic mind who will compliment me and who is willing to play a big role in being the "face of the organization" - the one people want to call and deal with and they know that when they deal with this person, things get done. Of course, I will be well-known by the organizations and individuals that we deal with as well (I wouldn't want it any other way, otherwise I'd probably feel like it wasn't my organization anymore), but hopefully you see where I'm going with this. I want ENTJ attributes, along with mine, to come together and lead this organization.

So, finally, here are some questions. While ENTP's are often associated with having entrepreneurial spirits, ENTJ's are sometimes associated with CEO types. In the scenario I described above, would most ENTJ's fit well into a role like this or would they eventually try to overpower me and more or less "take over" the ship? More than likely an INTP and ENTJ would have at least similar outlooks. I'm not saying we wouldn't have disagreements, just saying that our general outlooks on how things should be done would probably be at least "workable". I have worked with ESTJ's who have tried to take over the ship on me and it just doesn't work. It ends up in a lot of clashing because, I usually don't give in and they seem accustomed to people submitting to their gameplan. NT/NT would seem to work much better. Do you all think ENTJ is the best partnership for what I've described or is there a better type for this role in the organization?

Thanks for any input!!

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'd find yourself an ENFJ, ideally. 2nd choice probably INTJ--they can train themselves to do anything or appear any way; it's uncanny...but they don't have the ENFJ's natural charisma and pull with people...ENFPs have this but are comparatively weak on follow through, just like the ENTP issues you mention above...I blame Ne.

ENTJ will probably be effective at getting things done but you may find your creativity cramped by focus on productivity. ENTJs have a unique vision and are not afraid to marginalize those who don't subscribe to it--the ends justify the means. Be wary of this before bestowing upon him power equal to or greater than yours.

On a totally different note, out of left field--you might try an ESFP. That may sound crazy, but they're ridiculously good with on the spot negotiations and they make a terrific sunny, helpful, knowledgeable-about-the-product partner to handle the physical real world maintenance shit that you probably don't care about learning.

The one I work with seems to be exceptionally responsible; he's even our bookkeeper. If you find one with his priorities straight, they can work wonders together with your NTP perspective.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
EN
I'd find yourself an ENFJ, ideally. 2nd choice probably INTJ--they can train themselves to do anything or appear any way; it's uncanny...but they don't have the ENFJ's natural charisma and pull with people...ENFPs have this but are comparatively weak on follow through, just like the ENTP issues you mention above...I blame Ne.

Hmmm....thinking of the ENFJ's and INTJ's I've known, I'd rather go with an ENFJ. That's actually a really good suggestion.

ENTJ will probably be effective at getting things done but you may find your creativity cramped by focus on productivity. ENTJs have a unique vision and are not afraid to marginalize those who don't subscribe to it--the ends justify the means. Be wary of this before bestowing upon him power equal to or greater than yours.

Yeah, this is my concern. I want someone I can work WITH, not someone who wants to turn me into one of their minions - that won't be happening.

On a totally different note, out of left field--you might try an ESFP. That may sound crazy, but they're ridiculously good with on the spot negotiations and they make a terrific sunny, helpful, knowledgeable-about-the-product partner to handle the physical real world maintenance shit that you probably don't care about learning.

The one I work with seems to be exceptionally responsible; he's even our bookkeeper. If you find one with his priorities straight, they can work wonders together with your NTP perspective.

I gave some thought to the ESFP's I've known, and wow - this is also a good suggestion. I actually dated one who knew how to work at work (not just play). Another one is a hard worker, but does like to play a lot. But, yes - all the other stuff rings true for sure.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Honestly, I think you should have a go at running the organization yourself. I think that it may be more comfortable for you to have an extroverted front man, but ultimately you'll learn more if you try yourself. This is true even if the organization fails.

In you really don't feel up to it, though, I wouldn't advise finding an ENTj. Theoretically, there would be a fairly large overlap in skill set given that your both NTs. You would most likely end up competing for the chief strategic position than anything else. Second, and this is nothing personal, if an ENTj thinks they can do your job better than you, they'll have no qualms about cutting you out.

If it's really necessary to have some sort of partnership I agree with simulatedworld in that you should look to one of the types whos skill set would complement your own. ENFJs are generally quick, good with people, and wouldn't challenge your ultimate vision. If you're just looking for a good manager you really can't do better than an ESTx.

Anyways, good luck with your idea. As with most things, the first times always the hardest.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
You've got to learn the book for business first. After that its what you make of it. To judge yourself by a type you give yourself, will limit your business possibilities.

Therefore never do it !

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
Get an ESTJ to act as your puppet. They will follow orders if they beleive in the cause and see you as the propper authority. But remember, they're S's, so don't confuse them.