• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] The last time you outsmarted an INTJ / INTP

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
The INTJ I know IRL is your second and third points.

ed111

MBTI Type
INTJ
That's a shame because the motivation for correcting you or questioning your ideas should only be to seek the truth. I don't think there's anything personal about it. Simply that there are good ideas and bad ideas.

ghoti

MBTI Type
intj
:dry:

So when an INTx picks apart someone's idea for sport it's in the pristine pursuit of knowledge. Whereas if someone calls out an INTx for saying something blatantly wrong, then that person's "priorities are out of place" giving the INTx some sort of ultimate moral high ground.

Yall could have saved a lot of words and just said "Well, I just take my ball home when the other kids don't play nice. Hmph!"

I'm sorry you interpreted it that way. As I said, I do not mind being proven wrong, as I welcome expansion of knowledge. If I have false information or ideas, I definitely rather know so I can correct myself for the future. However, the attitude and motivation of the person doing the correcting is the major factor. I'm often grateful toward those who do it out of help, but not so much those who do it to keep score or one-up others. It's when they expect me to feel ashamed and embarrassed that I see their priorities as out of place. Not the correcting itself.

I'm sure we all know people that correct others just to be an ass. And I'm sure plenty of them are INTs. I dislike it when anybody, INTs included, make a sport out of it. When I correct others, I make a conscious effort to do so in a polite and non-abrasive manner, because I am aware that at times I can come off as terse. But I never taunt them or attempt to make them insecure. I find people respond better when they can tell you're saying something to be helpful, not to satisfy your own ego.

I just find it a bit pathetic when somebody's main objective is to outsmart another.

FC3S

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
The last time I outsmarted an INTJ he started mooing (that was today). He quickly showed me a video of alien cows and mentioned how twisted they were. INTPs on the other hand start reassuring themselves or something. Weird.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm not sure I understand the motivation behind this thread.

Is it that you:

- Are normally 'outsmarted' by intj/p so you get very pleased with yourself when you outsmart them;

- Find intj/p to be arrogant and condescending and so get great pleasure from proving them wrong;

- Get annoyed at intj/p for constantly trying to undermine your ideas and picking faults in things so you feel you need to bring them down sometimes?

I know you'll say the second or third options even though we (intj/p) know it's really the first :D

My experience and my basis for finding humor in this is some version of 2. Which leads me to...

I'm sure we all know people that correct others just to be an ass. And I'm sure plenty of them are INTs. I dislike it when anybody, INTs included, make a sport out of it. When I correct others, I make a conscious effort to do so in a polite and non-abrasive manner, because I am aware that at times I can come off as terse. But I never taunt them or attempt to make them insecure. I find people respond better when they can tell you're saying something to be helpful, not to satisfy your own ego.

I just find it a bit pathetic when somebody's main objective is to outsmart another.

I'm not exactly sure how to articulate what I feel here. The closest I can get is that, by and large, the INT is the smartest person in the room. They have a lot of knowledge on a wide variety of topics, and are quick on their feet in terms of problem solving. For these reasons among others INTs are valuable people.

The problem comes in that a lot of the time accessing this potential resource is a lot like pulling teeth. My experience is that you ask an INT a question and your guaranteed to get "How can you not know that? Doesn't everyone?" in the subtext of the response. Or, you could be in the occasional situation where (god forbid) someone comes up with a better solution to a problem than the INT. And, rather than saying, "Huh, that's clever. Sorry I didn't think of that myself." They find ways to subtly shit on said solution or the person who had the idea, or the classic "Well this topic was beneath me anyways. Why did I even waste my time?". At which point they tune out altogether.

Now maybe the INTs in this thread are more enlightened the garden variety. I don't know. But I've dealt with enough of that kind of behavior from INT family members and classmates that its tiresome and Im instantly skeptical whenever one even seems to be taken moral high ground at someone elses expense. I frankly dont care if you find that pathetic.

ghoti

MBTI Type
intj
Your experience with INTs sounds unfortunate. I haven't met many others of my type in person, but it's disappointing if that's our reputation. I never go out of my way to be an asshole or to make others feel bad. I get no satisfaction out of it. Sometimes I come off that way on accident, but I do try very hard to watch what I say and how I say it.

When I was much younger, I did reflect a know-it-all behaviour that I imagine others didn't appreciate, but it was because I honestly didn't understand why others didn't know what I did. I didn't think of myself as exceptionally smart, so the inability of others to catch on to new concepts as quickly as I could didn't make sense to me. But as I matured, I learned patience and how to appreciate differences in people's strengths and weaknesses. I don't really hold people to the same expectations that I hold myself. If somebody is weaker than me in one area, I don't look down on them, because it's guaranteed there's multiple things they're better at than I am.

I can understand wanting to put a know-it-all asshole in their place, which I guess some people associate with INTs. But I guess I interpreted the intention of the post as just proving somebody wrong to feel better about yourself. Which I'm clearly not a fan of.

FC3S

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I cannot see an INT* just living on the sport of proving another wrong. I find the trait useful - they'll skip the BS and tell me what I need to know.

And it becomes better for pumping them of their precious info when they realize I'm using their advice.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I guess you could say I've outsmarted a few INTJs when I really put my mind to it, but no INTPs.

Well, actually, there was one INTP I outsmarted recently, but his reasoning was so poor that it wouldn't be fair to count it.

EDIT: Oh, wait... is this only for ENTx's who've outsmarted one, or for anyone?

Ezion

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I've probably "outsmarted" an INTP or INTJ at one point. I've certainly outsmarted myself at one point or another.

Seriously, people? Outsmarting? That's what gets you giddy?

Whatever for?

I've noticed that apparently it's an achievement to outsmart the "smart" people in a group of friends.

It's flattering to be considered smart, though. :D

FC3S

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I've probably "outsmarted" an INTP or INTJ at one point. I've certainly outsmarted myself at one point are another.

I've noticed that apparently it's an achievement to outsmart the "smart" people in a group of friends.

It's flattering to be considered smart, though. :D
Achievement? Are you for real?

It's far more fun to watch them flustered and start mooing about.

redacted

The only INT that continuously outsmarts me is my dad. I pwn the rest :)

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When I was much younger, I did reflect a know-it-all behaviour that I imagine others didn't appreciate, but it was because I honestly didn't understand why others didn't know what I did. I didn't think of myself as exceptionally smart, so the inability of others to catch on to new concepts as quickly as I could didn't make sense to me. But as I matured, I learned patience and how to appreciate differences in people's strengths and weaknesses. I don't really hold people to the same expectations that I hold myself. If somebody is weaker than me in one area, I don't look down on them, because it's guaranteed there's multiple things they're better at than I am.

I think thats what most people sort out after spending enough time with an INTx. But having lived with one, I have to say that even on their best behavior it can feel like sharing a cage with an exceptionally well-read badger. It can be intense even for another NT. I mean, in a way, the threads really a backhanded compliment, more than anyone saying that they get off on proving someone wrong. Sorry if I came off defensively earlier.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Now why am I so pissed off by this thread?

I always figured people join in on a project or they don't, and if they try fucking with the project, you cut them out of your will, at least.

A tad ironic though that INFJs should enjoy screwing with course charting.

One can only imagine the horseshit people must go through dealing with Fe and Ti together if there is some persistent need to outsmart and pwn showing up at type level.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Now why am I so pissed off by this thread?

I always figured people join in on a project or they don't, and if they try fucking with the project, you cut them out of your will, at least.

A tad ironic though that INFJs should enjoy screwing with course charting.

One can only imagine the horseshit people must go through dealing with Fe and Ti together if there is some persistent need to outsmart and pwn showing up at type level.

Hey, watch the thread http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/mbti-tm-enneagram-other-personality-matrices/18639-te-users-more-likely-have-competitive-natures.html[/URL] for reference.
Somehow you gotta fight with em in that whole competition thingie :D

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
It's hard, but usually that only happens when you manage to get them on a tangent, and then work the tangent to the point that the answer is logically inconsistent with some throwaway point that was made further, and start hitting hard on that point (yes, I realize that's bad behavior for us, but damn it can be fun). As soon as you start getting an INT to chide you on not seeing the big picture, you know your work is done.