• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Calling all NT writers

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
If you were to write a romance novel from the perspective of an NT, what would the plot be and could you give us a sample line or two?

(As a caveat: I despise romance novels but thought it would be funny to hear what the least outwardly emotional types would write in the schmaltziest literary? genre that exists)

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Interesting question. I studied screenwriting for a while and began a dramatic script about a young man who went to Italy while in the military. While there, he met a young woman and they fell in love. He had to return to the states and she had to stay because of her strong family ties and commitment to the family business, but they vowed that they would find a way to be together - in time. As he gets back to the states and life goes on as usual, they begin to talk less and less, but still are committed to each other in heart and in spirit. After a few months, she contacts him to tell him that she is pregnant - and it can only be his child. Desiring to have a family one day, he tells her that he will, over the course of the next few months, wrap things up in America and head over to Italy to see the birth of the child and be with her. She is confused and in trouble with her very traditional family.

As he is beginning to wrap things up in America (she's now about 7 months pregnant), he gets a phone message one day that she is going into premature labor. In a frenzy to see the birth of his child (something he wanted very badly), he jams to the airport, gets the first flight to NYC (so that he can then go to Rome, etc.). After watching the agony he's going through in trying to get across the Atlantic Ocean as fast as humanly possible, he finally arrives at her bedside, only to find out that she has given birth but, due to complications, she is about to lose her own life.

I gave up on it because I was told it was "eposodic" - more in line with how a TV series would unfold than a motion picture.

I have another one that I like better than this that I'd like to actually have made into a movie one day, so I won't discuss that one...yet! :cheese:

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I didnt write for a long time, but when I did the 2 or 3 romance stories I wrote were always about not returned feelings. There is still a story on devinatart by me, but its pretty hard to read, my english was even suckier those days and I dont want to redo it, cause I like the flaws.

Silent Death seeking life by ~tfa on deviantART

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Thank you both of you. I really enjoyed both examples you offered. I never would have imagined that NTs would be very attracted to fiction.

And now I'd like some real fromage - but in NT speak.

For example, give me a proposal scene where both characters are NTs. Describe what they are wearing and how they are looking at each other, but in the way an NT would experience it. And then have them ride off into the sunset.

Or a first kiss scene with the thoughts of both people about each other running through their heads for the reader to enjoy.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Fantasy based, no doubt. A story of an 'impossible' love a la romeo and juliet, but ofcourse not a direct rip off but original in its own way. Covering as many every day ethical subjects that is possible without it becoming a huge ass cliché.

The story would most likely be based on a relationship of two people from different sub cultures, politically, ethnically, culturally and religiously considered wrong.

But through an adventure of hardship and fate the two lovers manage to bridge the differences for the people, but not without the neccesary bloodshed. The book would end with either one dying from unnatural causes, leaving the remaining person severely hurt and detached while the rest of the world openly celebrates a new future.

...Something like that.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
C'mon Fluffywolf, the plot is great. Give me a sample scene with some dialogue!

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ehh, you mean something like this? It's not like I got a whole story in my head. And writing a passage from a story you don't know is pretty tough. :p

"Why?" She hissed in dismay, kneeling down next to her wounded lover. As the notion of death crept up her spine. Trying to see reason, seeking acceptance. For the fate that had befallen the lovers this dark day. The day that will mark the last day of the war.

There he lay, on this field of horror. This day of death. Where his and his lovers people united. He lay calmly. Still, a stare of peace and tranquility on his blood-stained features. Their love was not meant to be in this life. But it has left a mark for all eternity. Now a new age dawns, an age of peace.

The end! :p

This wasn't really a very serious try. A story can't be told by just one passage. :p Anyhow, it's not like I have a romance noval story lying around. Nor do I see myself writing it anytime soon. I consider myself to be a decent creative writer, but it's an under-appreciated hobby for me most of the time. >.>

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Thank you both of you. I really enjoyed both examples you offered. I never would have imagined that NTs would be very attracted to fiction.

And now I'd like some real fromage - but in NT speak.

For example, give me a proposal scene where both characters are NTs. Describe what they are wearing and how they are looking at each other, but in the way an NT would experience it. And then have them ride off into the sunset.

Or a first kiss scene with the thoughts of both people about each other running through their heads for the reader to enjoy.

LOL. Honestly, I don't know if I see myself "riding off into the sunset" or totally smitten by an INTP woman. I would DEFINITELY want to meet one in person because I know from interactions with my aunt that we could go on making each other laugh all night until we collapsed of exhaustion, but romantically, I see a scene like you described with an NF.

This is totally off the cuff and well after bed time, but uhhh - let's see here:

Knowing that she had always dreamed, since a young girl, of overlooking Lake Templeton at sunset, he woke her up a little earlier than normal this Saturday morning. Hot coffee in hand, just the way she liked it, he said, "I wanna take you to Templeton today. I want you to see that sunset you've always wanted to see." She hopped up. "Really? Today?"

"Indeed! Take an hour to get what you need for the day and let's make it happen."

Like a little girl all over again, she got in the shower and got ready with a smile from ear to ear. She thought about what she would take, careful to remember everything that would make the experience the best it could be.

As they made the six hour journey up the windy coastline, they just talked and played some road games. He let her be quiet and it didn't feel awkward at all. She enjoyed that. And so did he. They could talk when they wanted - no pressure to keep a conversation going. They each felt at home in their own skin, enjoying the coast, and drifting off into their own thoughts and their own worlds, all the while sitting right next to each other. It was sort of like that storybook romance that we all hear about, but it was also different. It was just comfortable. It was peaceful. It was nice.

They finally arrived just in time to see the sun begin to fade over the lake. They got out of the car and she ran toward a spot she had seen from the road - a spot that would give her the very best view of the sun calling it a day. He followed behind, finding it hard to not feel some of her enthusiasm. He was enjoying himself, but he had never seen someone so excited to see a sunset. It made him happy that he had made the decision to bring her here. Her happiness, her innocent joy was rubbing off on him and they were both happy. Together. Together and happy. As the sky grew darker with each second and the sun slowly inched out of sight, there they were - HAPPY. She took a deep breath as if she wanted to inhale the moment and always have it with her. "This is amazing," she said. "This...right here...is what life is all about! Moments like this." He nodded in agreement and what happened next is perhaps better left for a more mature audience......

LOL..........

RenaiReborn

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w2
You see- I don't have to write a romance novel. My interactions with NT males produces a very odd kind of dialogue...I can give you all examples if you want. ;)

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Fantasy based, no doubt. A story of an 'impossible' love a la romeo and juliet, but ofcourse not a direct rip off but original in its own way. Covering as many every day ethical subjects that is possible without it becoming a huge ass cliché.

The story would most likely be based on a relationship of two people from different sub cultures, politically, ethnically, culturally and religiously considered wrong.

But through an adventure of hardship and fate the two lovers manage to bridge the differences for the people, but not without the neccesary bloodshed. The book would end with either one dying from unnatural causes, leaving the remaining person severely hurt and detached while the rest of the world openly celebrates a new future.

...Something like that.

Impossible love for sure. Maybe along the lines of me trying to create a new medicine or functionality that would further the human race. After years of research with no practical implementation, I am led to a man who lives in isolation who has achieved further success than I have. He is much older and is unable to complete his research, so he willingly donates his body to me so I can combine our efforts on a living prototype. As each day passes and his health deteriorates, more progress is made. I finally achieve a breakthrough at the expense of his life. As he lies there dying, we hold hands and stare into each others eyes, knowing that we are in love and that we've achieved success. An extremely cathartic moment.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
That was great, Jenocyde! I laughed till I hurt. That's what I was imagining coming from you people. Flesh it out with very succinct NT dialogue and you'll have a bestseller!

Qre:us

I liked it! One line that really struck me was about the thousand perspectives of the fly, and how humans would never want that.

Knowing that she had always dreamed, since a young girl, of overlooking Lake Templeton at sunset, he woke her up a little earlier than normal this Saturday morning. Hot coffee in hand, just the way she liked it, he said, "I wanna take you to Templeton today. I want you to see that sunset you've always wanted to see." She hopped up. "Really? Today?"

"Indeed! Take an hour to get what you need for the day and let's make it happen."

Like a little girl all over again, she got in the shower and got ready with a smile from ear to ear. She thought about what she would take, careful to remember everything that would make the experience the best it could be.

As they made the six hour journey up the windy coastline, they just talked and played some road games. He let her be quiet and it didn't feel awkward at all. She enjoyed that. And so did he. They could talk when they wanted - no pressure to keep a conversation going. They each felt at home in their own skin, enjoying the coast, and drifting off into their own thoughts and their own worlds, all the while sitting right next to each other. It was sort of like that storybook romance that we all hear about, but it was also different. It was just comfortable. It was peaceful. It was nice.

They finally arrived just in time to see the sun begin to fade over the lake. They got out of the car and she ran toward a spot she had seen from the road - a spot that would give her the very best view of the sun calling it a day. He followed behind, finding it hard to not feel some of her enthusiasm. He was enjoying himself, but he had never seen someone so excited to see a sunset. It made him happy that he had made the decision to bring her here. Her happiness, her innocent joy was rubbing off on him and they were both happy. Together. Together and happy. As the sky grew darker with each second and the sun slowly inched out of sight, there they were - HAPPY. She took a deep breath as if she wanted to inhale the moment and always have it with her. "This is amazing," she said. "This...right here...is what life is all about! Moments like this." He nodded in agreement and what happened next is perhaps better left for a more mature audience......

LOL..........

:wubbie: Simple. The story is in the happening, not the great dramatic plot or setting, but in the minute detail that gets explored for its subtle richness.
And...biased because this happened with the bf (well, mine was wanting to see a sunset while the boats sail by...and he trumped by taking me ON a boat to watch the sunset). The quiet enjoyment of each others company in silence, the simple giddiness at life's natural pleasures. :)

Impossible love for sure. Maybe along the lines of me trying to create a new medicine or functionality that would further the human race. After years of research with no practical implementation, I am led to a man who lives in isolation who has achieved further success than I have. He is much older and is unable to complete his research, so he willingly donates his body to me so I can combine our efforts on a living prototype. As each day passes and his health deteriorates, more progress is made. I finally achieve a breakthrough at the expense of his life. As he lies there dying, we hold hands and stare into each others eyes, knowing that we are in love and that we've achieved success. An extremely cathartic moment.

Ohhh....I would TOTALLY buy this book! Science + :heart: = :happy0065:
And, the poetic angle...he dies/experiment success - love, never controlled/anticipated confounder.

My writing is weird and hard to literally understand because it's very much like 'stream of consciousness' and dabbling in concrete poetry-type writing. I have a short little piece but, I'm feeling shy...so...no:blush:

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Fidelia - that's funny that you laughed! I was all choked up as I pictured my love dying simultaneously with the birth of a new dawn for the human race.

I might add that us holding hands is the first and only physical contact between us.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I'd write a love story about a couple with shared psychotic disorder.

Wyst

lurking....
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Fidelia - that's funny that you laughed! I was all choked up as I pictured my love dying simultaneously with the birth of a new dawn for the human race.

INFJs can sometimes have a dark sense of humor.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Jenocyde, that's a great touch! (pardon the pun - it was unintentional at first). You MUST write this book.

As far as laughing, well you have to have some fun in between saving the world from itself. It's exhausting, really. NTs actually are great for comic relief when they are in the mood to send their intellect in that direction.

AJBlaise - I need more! Tell me about it.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
My writing is weird and hard to literally understand because it's very much like 'stream of consciousness' and dabbling in concrete poetry-type writing. I have a short little piece but, I'm feeling shy...so...no:blush:

Oh come on Q! You have such a bright mind, I would love to see inside of it...

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thing is, I'd never write a romance novel myself. I'm much more for more generic adventure with many storylines woven together. Love being a part of it, but not an integral part. But rather a much more complete and filled story from many angles.

I've got some ideas and I'll probably never write anything that huge. But still.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
But Fluffywolf, what makes it good is that is that NTs would be the least likely to write fluffy, shallow romance. All you need is love!

Let's hear what you got Qre;us! Don't be shy.