MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    It is, in fact, illogical and waisting precious time for "philosophizing."
    No. That would assume that I have some other higher priority goal that philosophizing conflicts with. Such is often not the case.
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I think a lot of it has to do with how one prioritizes things. If you don't care too much about the asthetic appearance of your home or yourself your less likely to put effort into maintaining it. Or care more about doing other things that take up your time, this could include activities like playing video games all day. One thing I notice about messy people is that in their rooms they will have 'a path' carved out so it meets their basic mobility needs. An organised and cleanly house is often an effort to maximise astheitcs and practical application of serving duties.

Also if you tend to live more in your head (versus your environment) then you're less likely to take note of how bad your environment has gotten. An example of which is when I noticed how much cat fur there was on my carpet only after I packed all by things up and moved into a new house. While I was living there I thought the carpets looked fine so I didn't think I needed to vacuume. When you add clutter into the equation then what I have found what my mind does it that it concentrates solely on what I need at the time while all other things are sort of blocked out. I once lived in an extremely cluttered house that seriously needed a professional cleaning crew to keep it up. There were even mushrooms growing at the base of the toilet! A LOT of daily work was put into that house just to keep it functional. When a person was assigned to do the dishes (which was done every night) it also meant they had to clean the entire kitchen too which usually took on average two hours. Then the next morning all that hard work had usually been undone and the next person in line had to do exactly what the last had did. It was once suggested that in order to keep the kitchen clean we would need to do it three times a day. Things were also constantly breaking. I can't remember how many times the kitchen faucet needed to be replaced or how many vacuume cleaners we had purchased. That house was under an organisational system from hell and had came into existence from an accumulation of problems. When I moved into a cleaner, well organised house the sight of it blinded me, it looked so... sterile.
    Is not to be held accuntable for peeling errors.

MBTI
    INTJ

I have to own up to irrationality on this score. I prefer for my home to be sufficiently clean and perfectly tidy, but it's only ever the latter just before guests arrive (thankfully, I have guests over fairly often, so it never gets to be that bad) and as of this writing I have like ten cleaning chores on my to-do list (e.g. mop kitchen floor, wash windows, clean shower tiles), which is about average, not to mention all the practical or aesthetic home improvements I've been meaning to get around to, like taking down an ugly lamp I never use or unpacking the last moving box (I moved in two years ago ).

I can't tell you why I so acutely lack self-discipline in this area, but at this point I'm taking my wiring as given and brainstorming alternative solutions, meaning that as soon as I feel I can afford it I'm going to start paying someone to come clean for me.

MBTI
    XNTJ

that's funny about the shoes jenocyde! Lol you should see the inside of my
    purse...I can pack anything to busy myself with from books, nintendo DS, ipod, a can of pop, daily supply of nicotine longenzes, make up, sinus headac-
    he medicine since my allergies hit in different places...I'm always having to
    make sure my wallet is in there as I head out the door...lol! Oh and where the
    heck are my darn keys pops into my head while I'm blow drying my hair and
    other things.

MBTI
    iNtJ
    Enneagram
    152 so/sx
    Socionics
    INTp Ni

I used to be anal-retentive about cleanliness and order beyond the call of duty. (My SJ family's living styles were no match for my highly effective organization systems.) Then I suddenly hit depression at the age of 15 (2004) and my room & work space have been consistently messy since. I lost joy in creating external order and retreated back into my mind for three years to lessen the impact of my chaotic environment (troubled social & family life, fulfilling the "parent" role once my father left to pursue a martial affair, dealing with an unstable mother, mentoring my younger siblings, extreme inability to trust others, academic disappointments, a mental disorder, etc.) I basically had to reconstruct every department within my life, if I ever hoped to achieve the same stability I previously exhibited. While shifting paradigms, maintaining an orderly house was the last of my priorities. Things have settled down now and though I've successfully rebuilt most areas, there's a few months to a year left before I start working on that aspect. (It's not merely the one-time cleaning deal; it's finding a faster, enduring strategy to implement.)
    "I cannot expect even my own art to provide all of the answers -- only to hope it keeps asking the right questions." -- Grace Hartigan

Enneagram: Tritype - 1w9, 5 (balanced wings), 2w3; Overall Variant: So/Sx
    SLOAN: rCoa|I|
    Functional Preferences: Ni, Te/Fi, Ti, Se, Fe, Si, Ne

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Looking into the eyes of a [Ni user] is like peeking through a portal into a parallel universe.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

The words "rational" and "systematic" are not synonymous.

Your argument is weak.

Tidying up is for those left-brainers with nothing more creative to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INTP

It may be that my bathroom violates several health codes, but I always associated that with being a single male. Do any of you INTP's go through phases where you will purge your worthless belongings? I do that like once every six months but my computer area is always an explosion of unorganized books and dozens of post-its with notes on them.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    The words "rational" and "systematic" are not synonymous.

Your argument is weak.

Tidying up is for those left-brainers with nothing more creative to do.
    *nods, as enthusiastically as is possible without dislodging anything*
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Last time someone commented on the mess in my house, specifically work desk, I asnwered quite simply.

"I'm on the verge of disproving feng shui."
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

last time someone commented on my mess, i said, "does it bother you?" to which they replied, "actually, yeah, it does a little bit." which got for them from me, "the cleaning stuff is in the laundry room. knock yourself out."
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery