User Tag List

First 9101112 Last

MBTI
    INTP

I only read the first twenty posts or so of this thread, ran out of concentration.

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    I'm always as light as a feather, so don't worry about that, dude.

And, I'm not concerned with the issue of dusting, vacuuming, etc. I'm speaking to a system, which is easily created, that will ultimately allow more time to do you "interesting things." In other words, it's much faster to put something in a logical location in order to easily locate it, or them, than it is to have to spend time looking and thinking about where the items are at present time. If NTs are about systems, than why would so many of them continually live in disorder, lack of precision, and carelessness?
    I am extremely organised internally, somewhat organised with electronic filing and with paper, I'll just quote one of my colleagues from last week '[bluebell], paper is really not your friend, is it'.

I've yet to be able to design a system for dealing with paper that survives busy times, and I've trialled many. Now I just go with the flow and if the paper piles up in incoherent layers on my desk at work, so be it. But ask me about any email, document, meeting or person, and I'll be able to tell you about it from memory.
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I'm mostly messy because I don't externalize order well.

I usually have too much stuff for too little living space. I also have trouble creating arbitrary boxes -- my sense of nuance is too strong -- so i can't even just have hard categories for where things go. I can't keep with a filing system, it always feels inadequate for the items I'm trying to place, and so then I just give up and it gets dumped in convenient places which creates clutter.

As far as whether it 'works' -- yes, I remember where I put things in relation to OTHER things, rather than due to the specific qualities of the thing. If you want to make my life a living hell, just clean up my place without warning me. I will no longer know where anything is.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

I think of it as conservation of resources. Keeping my external world organized requires a certain amount of time and energy, and I just don't care about it enough to expend my limited time and resources into doing it.

That said, having just bought a house. . . . .it looks like I gotta get on the ball.
    Last edited by spirilis; 06-22-2009 at 08:39 AM. Reason: not really a 'new' house since it was built in 1981!
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I might be messy because of genetics or my early environment. Both my parents are messy absent-minded xNTPs and growing up everything was always scattered all over the place.

When objects become irrelevant to me, it's like they cease to be there. Only when their importance is called back into action in my mind do they re-crystallize into existence. Perhaps the messiness that often comes as a result is a mild negative when it comes to quality-of-life, but perhaps having this unstructured kind of mindset serves as a positive when adaptability is required.

MBTI
    entp

it seems like a determent to my next activity.

coming back from doing groceries, i organize them into the fridge, freezer, and the cupboards because thats essential to my needs. doing that, i usually can't wait to get to whatever i have planned next so i meet the required amount of organization and be done with it.

through experience i have learned that its not good to shove all the produce on one shelf cuz that leads to rotting lettuce because it got stuck in the very back. so now i take some effort to separate and stack my groceries a little differently

MBTI
    INTx
    Enneagram

Because cleaning takes away precious time and energy which I could devote to other matters.

I'm answering on behalf of my ENTJ husband.

Basically like others have said, he's got more important things to do- it's low on his priority list. And, though he won't admit it - he thinks the cleaning up fairy will take care of it (of course - that would be me :steam.

MBTI
    INTP

Time spent "organizing" would be greater than the time saved by being "organized" in most cases (bedroom, for example). If I can still find everything I need without wasting time arranging it, then that is clearly the more logical choice.

Because my mom is a J
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

"In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP

probably cause I don't think in a linear fashion, I'll be doing one thing here, then get distracted and I might drop it to do something else. Because of this, it's better to leave it so I can pick up right where I left off later. If it gets cleaned up it's actually disorganizing it for me because I'll have to remember how and where I left off. It's just easier that way for me.