User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 21

  1. #11
    On a mission Usehername's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    3,823

    Default

    Have you considered your childhood goals?

    Maybe you were so knowledge-hungry that interacting and dominating were two prime ways to satiate your knowledge hunger?

    (A bit of a stretch, but who knows.)
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

  2. #12
    HAHHAHHAH! INTJ123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP
    Posts
    777

    Default

    Too much to read, but I got the jist of it. I just want to ask where you got that info on our personality being "pure" when we are young. I think there are different ideas on how and when we develop, but I do remember reading something that says we experiement with our functions in our youth.

  3. #13
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    if you want to be an entj, do it ! You just got to start to think on your own !
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  4. #14
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    My mother always claimed I was outgoing until I turned two and then became withdrawn and shy. Who knows? I knew when to believe her on something and when to disregard it.

  5. #15
    Blah Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    Went through INTJ and INTP to get there but yup, I'm comfortable with ENTP now. Mostly what I remember as a kid was that I tended to take charge and was happy taking to anyone, I wasn't very shy. For me at around 12-13 that changed. I didn't really examine myself before then, at least not as far as I remember.
    Huh, that's pretty much the same for me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    If I'm enjoying the interaction I'll tend to get more and more energised the longer I'm there, I may be tired at the end of the evening but I don't feel zapped of my energy. If I'm really enjoying myself I won't want things to end and am often the last one to leave anywhere I go that's fun.
    Well, there were a few occasions when I was tired after school or work (to the point that I contemplated not going out because of it), but decided to go out anyway and randomly became not tired or exhausted at all. Like this year on my birthday I went out to a club with some friends after some initial hesitation because I had a headache and sort of felt like being alone, but then ended up being slightly disappointed when my introverted friend grew weary of it and wanted to call it a night. It's just that social situations that I don't want to be a part of (most of them) are smothering to me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    My own company is more interesting to me than people I find boring Wrote this on another forum;

    To explain my extroversion this is what I find happens;

    When in isolation: I enjoy my own company, itís comfortable and I can concentrate on what I want to do and get lost in my head, however, I know that I can withdraw into myself more than is healthy for me if I do this for too long, too much time on my own leads me to feeling slightly depressive and like I'm swimming underwater.

    The healthiest and most productive state for me is when I get out and socialise, even for just a few hours 3-4 times a week, it doesnít have to be substantial and activities can be more effective than being with and talking to people. Problem is I like feeling comfortable so I donít always do this which leads to me feeling down and not wanting to go out which leads me to feeling worse and so on, once I am out and socialising I feel great and want to get out and socialise more often but making myself do this in the first place is the hard part.

    What extroversion means to me as an ENTP is that I feel alive when I'm constantly moving from one interesting thing to another. Doing the same thing over and over again bores me, talking to people who aren't interesting to me bores me, shallow/passionless chit-chat bores me, social tradition bores me, seeing things through to completion bores me.

    I want to explore and discover and follow random tangents as they come up, spontaneity and movement without over planning totally excites me. I need newness and/or adventure to grab my interest and give me new energy. This however is largely unseen.
    Thanks for this, it was quite illuminating. I definitely relate to the depressive feeling when being alone too long, and the cycle of inertia this creates. I sort of commented on this in the INTP wimmin group discussion a while back.

    I guess I need to look into it more because, in the case that I actually am an extravert (not that I think this is the case just yet), I think I am in line for some CBT to get rid of social anxiety. Not that I wouldn't be as an introvert, but it's a possibility that I was using a mistaken definition of introversion to rationalize some pretty unhealthy behavior.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

  6. #16
    Blah Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Have you considered your childhood goals?

    Maybe you were so knowledge-hungry that interacting and dominating were two prime ways to satiate your knowledge hunger?

    (A bit of a stretch, but who knows.)
    I don't really remember my childhood goals. Like I was saying in response to Trinity, I wasn't very self-aware or introspective/inwardly reflective as a younger kid.

    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    Anything could happen in childhood to effect how a child acts however as less functions have developed it is more likely to be a more pure indication as you suggest, imo.
    So basically, you think that personality types are an indication of a certain cognitive pattern that doesn't change, even though behaviors may change?

    Quote Originally Posted by INTJ123 View Post
    Too much to read, but I got the jist of it. I just want to ask where you got that info on our personality being "pure" when we are young. I think there are different ideas on how and when we develop, but I do remember reading something that says we experiement with our functions in our youth.
    I'd be interested to read whatever it was that gave you that information. It was always my understanding that one was born with a certain fundamental way of perceiving and processing things, and that this was the personality type, as opposed the personality type being based on behavior at any given point in time. But IDK, I could be wrong. I don't think there's much evidence for either perspective. I guess I just don't see the use of having all this personality information that gives specific advice based on the assumption that a person thinks a specific way, when the personality is not stable in the first place.

    Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    if you want to be an entj, do it ! You just got to start to think on your own !
    I think on my own just fine, thanks .

    Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    My mother always claimed I was outgoing until I turned two and then became withdrawn and shy. Who knows? I knew when to believe her on something and when to disregard it.
    Did you ever have anyone else back this up? I have asked several family members (those I haven't spoken with in a while as well) and they all paint a similar picture of me. At any rate, I'm pretty sure my "inward turn," which happened whether I was truly an extravert or just a confident introvert, happened as a result of social forces during adolescence (I was teased pretty badly at one point, had a lot of my friends turn on me, had some gender issues, and was regularly made to feel shameful by my neurotic parents. All seems little and stupid now, but was a big deal in my small 12 year-old world.)
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

  7. #17
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    I think on my own just fine, thanks .
    Well I am not the one here listening to what his parents tell him he is supposed to be
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  8. #18
    Senior Member Valuable_Money's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Posts
    681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    So you think that people change types? You don't think that children are biologically predisposed to have a particular personality?

    [I have something pressing right now, but will get to the other responses later.]
    Thats irrelevent to the situation, lets assume the answer is no, then my theory is atleast partialy correct and your personality is the result of your childhood and becomes cemented in mid-adolescences/early adult-hood.(technicaly this still leaves room for predisposition of genes)

    Lets assume that my theory is incorrect, then children are at a disposition to certain personality types(but the disposition is much greater than the potential one in my theory). Even if we take this as a fact you can assume taht atleast a few traits are picked up. With this in mind it is safe to assume that you were predispositioned to NT, and that as a child you were ENTJ but experiences in your life made you into a INTP.

    Tell me what age was your mother thinking of when she typed you as an ENTJ?

  9. #19
    Blah Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Well I am not the one here listening to what his parents tell him he is supposed to be
    :rolleyes2:

    Quote Originally Posted by Valuable_Money View Post
    Thats irrelevent to the situation, lets assume the answer is no, then my theory is atleast partialy correct and your personality is the result of your childhood and becomes cemented in mid-adolescences/early adult-hood.(technicaly this still leaves room for predisposition of genes)

    Lets assume that my theory is incorrect, then children are at a disposition to certain personality types(but the disposition is much greater than the potential one in my theory). Even if we take this as a fact you can assume taht atleast a few traits are picked up. With this in mind it is safe to assume that you were predispositioned to NT, and that as a child you were ENTJ but experiences in your life made you into a INTP.
    Okay, I get that your point is that personalities become "cemented" during adolescence regardless of whether we believe them to be permanently programmed in our brains from birth or strictly the result of the environment during childhood. So for my purposes, since I claim to have changed during adolescence, it doesn't matter because (according to you) the personality past that point will have been the permanent one in either case.

    It's just that I've really never heard that before, about personalities "cementing" in adolescence. Do you have a reference? For all I know, you could be making that up off of the top of your head.

    Quote Originally Posted by Valuable_Money View Post
    Tell me what age was your mother thinking of when she typed you as an ENTJ?
    Like I've mentioned several times before, the claim from both my mother and several other family members/friends is that I exhibited consistently ENTJ-like behavior until around age 11-12.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

  10. #20
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    If you makes you feel better, my mother once tried classifying me as SP.

Similar Threads

  1. My mom CAN'T be ENTJ.. can she?
    By alpaca in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-06-2009, 08:33 PM
  2. Type my parents
    By /DG/ in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-07-2009, 11:25 AM
  3. [ENFP] Need help reviving my parents' marriage (ENFP=ISTP)
    By NashK in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 05-08-2009, 07:13 AM
  4. Type My Parents
    By One Day in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-16-2009, 07:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO