User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: INTPs, Motivation Issues?

I think the lack of follow through problem is a myth.

INTPs are no less likely to follow through on a myriad of ideas than the other types on average.

When you have a lot to choose from, only a few things can actually be done. What people usually choose is what they are comfortable doing.

INTPs may be one of the more risk averse types, so what they follow through on, will tend be what they consider safe. This makes it seem like they are not following through on anything, but really what is happening is a choice of the safe and comfortable.

INTPs that I know, including myself, dream in vivid detail about humanity's future, and can express strong urges to take part in making that future become true. They may be more obsessed with this future than most people.

This may add to the image of someone who lacks follow through. People, in general, do not follow through on grand visions of the future of humanity. The difference may rather be the anount of time spent thinking and talking about these sorts of things.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

I'm simply too awesome to bother with carrying out the fruition of my endlessly genius creations.
    "Stop it, you fuck. Give him some butter."
    = Ne > Ni > Fi > Te > Se > Fe > Si INTP (I/PNT) 5w4

My genius ideas are too awesome for me to ever be able to carry out.
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

Senior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    Why do you think you are jaded and unhealthy?

I think xSTPs can be quite blunt and dismissive if they don't immediately get the answer they want. Or if they aren't immediately agreed with. They see things in black and white, while I see all shades of gray. I know I frustrate the hell out of my friends who just want a yes or no. And instead of saying that I should just answer the question at face value, they will angrily call me stupid or whatever they come up with. And then say something like "this conversation is OVER". Which makes me laugh at they way they think they have authority to make me stop talking. I would never call them jaded or unhealthy, though. They are quite wonderful people and that's the one thing that rubs me the wrong way.
    Which is why he thinks he is unhealthy/jaded I believe

I happen to love my shades of grey personally

Also not sure if it means anything but FC3S also cared about an INTP having a messy house... Sorry FC3S dude but you don't seem chill like the rest of the ESTPs on here you seem kinda uptight, don't know... maybe you just need a holiday lol

Oh and as for INTPs not having follow through...

"All-in-all, they have extraordinary talents for getting things started. They are not usually so good at following through, and might leave those tasks to others. Mastering the art of following through is something which ESTPs should pay special attention to."

Straight from ESTP personality profile

Kinda pot calling the kettle black eh? Or are you a closet J?

Semi-related question:

Do any of the other on-the-job INTP's find themselves quite motivated at first, though suffer from burnout later on?

Most every job I've had I started out well and once I 'mastered' the routine the soul-crushing monotony would set in and I'd lose all work ethic and drive.
    ...Then I ducked my head and the lights went out, and two guns blazed in the dark;
    And a woman screamed, and the lights went up, and two men lay stiff and stark...

Nips away your dignity Array Fluffywolf's Avatar
    9 sp/sx

I find myself to be extremely stress proof. I've worked roughly 6 days a week for 4 years now, at whatever hours. Dayshifts, nightshifts, 24/7 availability.

Through tough times as well as easier times. (I've made weeks of 120ish solid hours filled with nothing but annoying work, as well as weeks that were much more calm, easy going, 30-40 hour weeks.)

I've had two one-week vacations in the past 4 years and I can't remember ever taking a day off because I was feeling ill.

I feel healthy, energized. Most of the work is boring, burocracy. But some of the work is rewarding and I also find keeping up inter relations at work on healthy levels a very interesting concept. And often find myself letting TiNe loose on that.

As a result, I am extremely P when not working, and extremely J when working. I can recharge very quickly, and I have little to no issues shaking off frustrations. Although I try not to do that too much as to not loose perspective. But having that capability sure helps get the pressure off at the more annoying of times.

When it comes to my pet projects, my hobbies and such. I often don't feel like tapping into my J ability. Especially not if I don't find the pet project important enough. And indeed tend to just stop with them, quite often.

But I doubt I'll ever burn out.

Maybe because what I do is extremely versatile is what makes it much more easy on me though.

Quote Originally Posted by FC3S View Post
    Odd quirk I'm beginning to notice with INTPs around me. Extreme thinkers, but when it comes time to actually get them to act on it - they shy away.

Anyone care to elaborate?
    I've wrestled with this one all 47 years of my life. Once I've thought something to conclusion, or at least done a proof of concept, I tend to lose interest in seeing it through to completion. Is as though, once complete in my head, there is no reason to complete it elsewhere. I still see it as a major flaw in my psychological makeup and a big road block in the way of accomplishing things.

Over the years, I've seen that placing myself in high pressure situations where I have to perform takes care of the problem somewhat. It doesn't make it fun, that's for sure ... but at least I follow through and finish what I started. The military was a great pressure cooker for follow through ... as is my job in Corporate Amerika. I just wish I could generate similar follow through during my time off and with my personal projects.

On a side note, ritalin does help. My doctor prescribed it for me to counter drowsiness from another medication I take for Tourettes. Fortunately, it makes it easier for me to follow through with some of the mundane details of things. I actually want to do so.

Is Willard in Footloose!! Array CJ99's Avatar

Ive heard that older INTPs are extremely good at following through on ideas. a bit like a fun loving INTJ (i know i know hard to imagine but u guys seem to have good imaginations!)
    "I'd never die for my beliefs, I might be wrong"

"Is it not enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe there are fairys at the bottom of it too"

"Intelligence is being able to hold too opposing views in the mind at the one time without going crazy" - Now all I need to figure out is if I'm intelligent or crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by CJ99 View Post
    Ive heard that older INTPs are extremely good at following through on ideas. a bit like a fun loving INTJ (i know i know hard to imagine but u guys seem to have good imaginations!)
    I'd like to think that is true for me, but I seem to have had more motivation to follow through in my younger days ... particularly in my 20's. Perhaps it has to do with energy levels and my environment at that time. My present environment makes it very easy to become complacent and just drift. I have no problems with follow through at work, paying bills, etc. ... but the rest of my life could use an energy boost. Then again, maybe I'm just trying to fit in too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
    Play nice now people. Don't make me call the judge, jury and executioner.

Who do you think Haight is?