12311 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    EIE None

Default BEST Critic: INTJ or INTP?

What type [in a vacuum] makes the most logical, unbiased, painfully true critique? I am looking for a type that is most naturally capable (and does so actively on the most regular basis) of making a summation not crafted to drive the nail in deeper, sway to their personal point of view, or even flatter/attempt to avoid offending.

Assumptions:
    Most likely this type is a rational.
    Most likely the type is Introverted for pure internal analysis, also most naturally suited for writing as opposed to speaking/interacting/debating in groups.

I am hung up on the J/P:

Cons-
    J would be the most decisive, more likely to have formed opinions on issues already
    P's as in INTP's have extraverted feeling, thus more likely to be biased in attempting at times to not hurt feelings

Pros-
    J more likely comfortable with drawing an end conclusion
    P more likely to weigh both sides of an argument

I found from this thread []INTP - The Critic? [Archive] - Typology Central that INTP is often named the critic. I would love to see a more in depth discussion here. If the INTP is the most natural at being a critic, does that really mean they are naturally unbiased? Or are they most critical? If you are an INTP or an INTJ, what is your position?

Of course feel free to argue the first assumptions.
    However, please address INTP/INTJ.

MBTI
    INTJ

ENTJs do it better.

Knowing how well something is performing it's role and how it could perform it better is our greatest strength as a type.

I could make arguments based on the function dynamics but I find those always rely a little too much on extrapolation.

I would put INTPs as a close second for critics, and in some ways they are superior.

INTPs are generally better at criticizing something after the fact, ENTJs are better at constructive criticism. Both can do either pretty well though.

This isn't to say that INTJs aren't good critics, they just don't spend all their time criticizing everything everywhere to the greatest detail the way INTPs and ENTJs do.
    wails from the crypt.

Senior Member Misty_Mountain_Rose's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

This is a tough one.

"logical, unbiased, painfully true critique"

Logical - INTP
    Unbiased - INTJ
    Painfully True - Tie

Pick your poison, do you want logic to rule or do you want 'fairness' to rule?

INTP (in my humble opinion) gets very bogged down in their search for ENTIRE understanding. This need to understand it all probably makes them better at stepping through the logic, bit by bit... but keep in mind that they're still intuitors so its all based on what they've gathered and intuited.

INTJ has 'possibilies' on their side, where they want to CONSIDER everything (different from UNDERSTANDING everything), however briefly, before they decide.

INTP's can stump me when I get into debates with them... but usually on semantics and not so much the idea itself. Usually they do not change my mind.

I would say, if you sat both types down and gave them data... say a file from a court case... where they don't have any pre-conceived ideas about it beforehand, the INTJ would be a better person for the analyzing simply because they can express their findings a little better than an INTP and they aren't so worried about what people might think of their response. INTP's, from what I've seen, care a little more about how they come across to people than an INTJ would.
    Embrace the possibilities.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by murkrow View Post
    ENTJs do it better.

Knowing how well something is performing it's role and how it could perform it better is our greatest strength as a type.
    Maybe when it comes to criticizing a business plan. But when it comes to things as nuanced and subtle as music, film, theater, art etc. the articulate Ti analysis of INTPs is more fitting. Observation and precision in language is the INTPs realm.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    EIE None

ENTJs do it better.

Right- ENTJs are pretty sweet at product reviews and sales, from what I understand.

ENTJs do it better.

INTPs are generally better at criticizing something after the fact, ENTJs are better at constructive criticism.
    So INTPs aren't as good at constructive criticism because there is nothing that can be done after the fact. Touche.
    In a way you proved my point that Introversion is better regarding writing- writing IS after the fact. Its internal. You are speaking of external events, especially as I believe human interaction- during which I would agree, ENTJs would respond quicker.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I'd say the best critic would be every single type jammed together into one brain.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    EIE None

Quote Originally Posted by Misty_Mountain_Rose View Post
    Pick your poison, do you want logic to rule or do you want 'fairness' to rule?
    You make me laugh.

INTJ has 'possibilies' on their side, where they want to CONSIDER everything (different from UNDERSTANDING everything), however briefly, before they decide.
    GOOD point.

INTP's can stump me when I get into debates with them... but usually on semantics and not so much the idea itself. Usually they do not change my mind.
    If they stump you on semantics, does that mean they possess more knowledge than you, or that they take more of their environment in because they constantly consider everything?

THANK YOU Misty, for the very specific examples.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Maybe when it comes to criticizing a business plan. But when it comes to things as nuanced and subtle as music, film, theater, art etc. the articulate Ti analysis of INTPs is more fitting. Observation and precision in language is the INTPs realm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Afkan View Post
    Right- ENTJs are pretty sweet at product reviews and sales, from what I understand.
    While I enjoy the display of shameless and baseless stereotyping, I can't accept it as a valid point.

I'm an ENTJ and I'm far more involved in arts than business.

So INTPs aren't as good at constructive criticism because there is nothing that can be done after the fact. Touche.
    In a way you proved my point that Introversion is better regarding writing- writing IS after the fact. Its internal. You are speaking of external events, especially as I believe human interaction- during which I would agree, ENTJs would respond quicker.
    Writing is not necessarily after the fact. You can be in the process of writing something and ask someone to critique it, in this situation an ENTJ is more likely to give you useful information instead of simply pointing out the problems. An ENTJ is more likely to be able to take into consideration the intention of the piece, and for that reason their criticism will be more useful and more effective.

If you are talking about being a literary critic, as in one who writes for a publication and has no intention of aiding the writer but simply criticizing the work, then INTP might be better.

However this depends heavily on the publication and intent of the article. IxFPs also make great critics when the enjoyability of something is the concern.
    wails from the crypt.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    EIE None

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Ahh!!! This throws a wrench in. Observation and precision sound pretty flippin important when it comes to...ummm...a writer of encyclopedia articles, of which I am looking for.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    EIE None

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    I'd say the best critic would be every single type jammed together into one brain.
    Hmmm...you sound so Idealistic