User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Why don't you pick based on credidentials and experience, instead?
    We've already clarified that both have a fairly equal amount of positives and negatives.

Now it's more about how they've improved their strengths and minimized their weaknesses. Adding a single pro to either side isn't going to have as much impact as strengthening upon what they already have.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by avolkiteshvara View Post
    Apples & Oranges.
    avolkiteshvara

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    EIE None

Quote Originally Posted by nocebo View Post
    Why don't you pick based on credidentials and experience, instead?
    We've already clarified that both have a fairly equal amount of positives and negatives.

Now it's more about how they've improved their strengths and minimized their weaknesses. Adding a single pro to either side isn't going to have as much impact as strengthening upon what they already have.
    I agree with you whole-heartedly. Intuitive types are just so rare in the first place. I wish to hire a writer from a specific group of writers, but its a large group and I cannot possibly find out enough from all of them. I'd prefer to have them take a personality test to narrow the field and then compare their writing. And of course, as a J I prefer to have a definite answer in my mind about who "should" be better, and then look at their writing and compare. This process tells me a LOT about how healthy or just more about the individuals- imperative when hiring someone you may never see face to face. I'm sure you can understand how someone like me (an ENFJ) might feel uncomfortable working with, managing, and depending on people when communication is so limited. No facial expressions, no voice intonation... Ahhh!!!

Experience and credentials are nice. Writing samples are even better.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Afkan View Post
    What type [in a vacuum] makes the most logical, unbiased, painfully true critique? I am looking for a type that is most naturally capable (and does so actively on the most regular basis) of making a summation not crafted to drive the nail in deeper, sway to their personal point of view, or even flatter/attempt to avoid offending.
    As an INTJ I have to go with/to the INTP for all of the above. Ni generally offers one perspective (at least at a time ) that may be either an insightful hit or an oblivious miss but that always seeks to drive the nail in deeper and sway to our personal point of view, and the auxiliary Te/tertiary Fi combo generally introduces more strategic and biased communication than the inferior Fe of INTPs can consciously muster even on a good day.

The one caveat here is that you can't really persuade an INTP to focus their analytical prowess on your proposed object of analysis if it doesn't happen to interest them on its merits. (Thankfully, the INTPs on this site happen to take an interest in interpersonal dynamics, meaning you can get quality people analysis like this from them! ) It is generally easier to get an INTJ to take an interest in and offer an opinion on anything, however unqualified we may be. (And if we're not initially willing, you can usually change our minds with enough flattery. ) If the INTP is "the critic", the INTJ is "the know-it-all", but a critical know-it-all yields more input than a silent critic!

Edit: I just saw this:

Ahh!!! This throws a wrench in. Observation and precision sound pretty flippin important when it comes to...ummm...a writer of encyclopedia articles, of which I am looking for.
    For the love of... Go with the INTP! It's the INTPs who read encyclopedias for fun as kids, and it's an INTP who would naturally focus on doing entries intellectual justice.

... Unless the INTP has little interest in the area and/or low conscientiousness. In that case maybe go with the INTJ, at least if the INTJ is of the pedantic rather than the visionary bent.

... No, really, go with the INTP!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    135 so/sp

To be honest I think this is something very individual if you are comparing just INTs

Not to mention that objectivity for the most part has a very subjective definition(s).

MBTI
    YaYa

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    avolkiteshvara
    Bing bong ding dong!

MBTI
    INTJ

I agree with you whole-heartedly. Intuitive types are just so rare in the first place. I wish to hire a writer from a specific group of writers, but its a large group and I cannot possibly find out enough from all of them. I'd prefer to have them take a personality test to narrow the field and then compare their writing. And of course, as a J I prefer to have a definite answer in my mind about who "should" be better, and then look at their writing and compare. This process tells me a LOT about how healthy or just more about the individuals- imperative when hiring someone you may never see face to face. I'm sure you can understand how someone like me (an ENFJ) might feel uncomfortable working with, managing, and depending on people when communication is so limited. No facial expressions, no voice intonation... Ahhh!!!

Experience and credentials are nice. Writing samples are even better.
    You, ma'am, are and remain ENTP. Email all candidates daring them to drink a quart of vodka and write about their childhoods.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

For the on-topic part of this discussion, I would assume that an INTP may be a better encyclopedia writer if they're at least somewhat decently balanced. I agree a lot with what Economica said. If you want a writer to make it appeal to readers (who are likely to be NT's,) go with an enthusiastic INTP. If you want a good proofreader or something, give it to an I*TJ.

Off-topic: As an INTP, I'm really good at critiquing things that are related to my field of interest (story telling.) Theater, TV, books, all of that kind of stuff. When it comes to other things, I'm not that good at critiquing because it's not my "forte."
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

I kind of want to say INTPs too, but my model intellectual of encyclopedia-level knowledge is Aristotle, who I presume to be INTJ. So while economica says it depends on the INTP, I say it depends on whether the INTJ has actually been able to see the value for knowledge by itself, and not because he/she wishes to accomplish an aim which is their usual motivation for their entire life.

The real problem with INTJs, especially in the modern world, is that they have so many ways to dismiss entire swaths of knowledge, information, and perspectives. "Its not important...." is their mantra. Edgar is a prime example - the guy's witty and brilliant, but also very brilliant at presenting to you why something is worthless. Problematic.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    I kind of want to say INTPs too, but my model intellectual of encyclopedia-level knowledge is Aristotle, who I presume to be INTJ. So while economica says it depends on the INTP, I say it depends on whether the INTJ has actually been able to see the value for knowledge by itself, and not because he/she wishes to accomplish an aim which is their usual motivation for their entire life.
    This is a worthwhile addition. ()

... I guess I'm still working on being fair to my own kind.