User Tag List

123 Last

Default ENTPs - full of hidden insecurities?

As a high school student, I've had some ENTP teachers who all seemed very confident and proud, but turned out to be quite insecure.

The first was a history teacher who was 'full of himself'. He constantly talked about his material possessions (e.g. cars, branded goods), about how he knew lots of important people, how busy he was etc. He also cryptically avoided questions about his marital status. Either that or he would say he had a wife and kid in in some faraway land, but when we visited his home, we found no trace of any family (no clothes, no photos, nothing). And he would often try to groom 'favorite students' (but refuse to hand out a single A, trying to emphasize how difficult it was to succeed in his class). He would also call up students randomly and chat about his own life. He was definitely an ENTP though, very extroverted and thinking, couldn't organize his classes for nuts, and used fanciful and pretentious language only an N could muster.

The second was an English teacher. Definite ENTP - very E, very N, and very P. Couldn't organize a single lesson plan at all, spent the whole lesson talking about himself, and talked how he spent ages coming up with models and theories on how to write good essays and live life. Also loved to talk about his own life - e.g. his stint in the army (of course, he was in a secret vocation he couldn't talk about), his big motorbike, how objective and fair he was, how reasoned he could be, etc etc. Also remained very cryptic about his marital status. But on the other hand he can text some of his favorite students consistently everyday - talking about even the most random things, and almost confide in them. And he consistently sought reassurance about his teaching, his fairness, etc nearly every lesson.

Is this behavior typical of ENTPs - that they like to project a pumped-up image of themselves to hide the insecurities they may have?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

I don't not act like this in any manner. I say sometimes that I like to be objective, but I don't go on about it.

These two people both seem rather unbalanced in my opinion.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

People always try to hide insecurities by using their most prominent cognitive functions in overdrive. Any type can be insecure, every type acts differently. These entp's may have been insecure but the type entp is not insecure by standard.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    IsTP

Aren't we all?
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

"They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by kendoiwan View Post
    Aren't we all?

Are you?

What kind of school is this where teachers invite students to their houses and text messages over phones?

WTF?!!

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by kendoiwan View Post
    Aren't we all?
    To some level ofcourse. I'm not certain of anything myself either. But I don't let my insecurities get in the way of work or relations. It is when insecurities go past that imaginary line that they may become a nuisance.

But funny fact, I think only an ENTP could honestly say they are 100% secure. Getting people to agree with him/her will be hard though.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by leejz View Post
    As a high school student, I've had some ENTP teachers who all seemed very confident and proud, but turned out to be quite insecure.
    Gosh, this must be SUCH a revelation! /sarcasm

It's what I've tried to tell people for years, people who say they "can't" socialize or whatever the way I do because they're not as confident as me and blah blah blah, and I try to tell them that actually, I'm not at all confident and that pretty much every time I say anything I'm wondering if I'll get heckled or thinking it sounds stupid and I leave most encounters feeling sure I've made an utter fool of myself. Just because I press through those feelings and fight and override them through willpower, doesn't mean I don't have them.

But they just look blankly at me and repeat, "yeah, but I don't have the confidence to do that".

edit - I've also had the "full of yourself" accusation levelled at me, almost exclusively by introverts, who think that my self-exposure is all about ego, rather than, as most extraverts correctly read it, me sharing bits of myself and my experiences with others, hoping to encourage them to do the same back, hoping they'll be interested in me and tell me about themselves because I'm interested in them. And also, because I figure maybe an experience of mine is pertinent to what they're talking about and maybe they could benefit from the mistakes or successes I've had, and maybe I can learn from them similarly. It only doesn't work when the other person sits there like a wall with a face, not saying anything, judging me (I can tell) but not caring to offer any constructive feedback.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    People always try to hide insecurities by using their most prominent cognitive functions in overdrive. Any type can be insecure, every type acts differently. These entp's may have been insecure but the type entp is not insecure by standard.
    I see where this could make sense.

When we're insecure about our weaknesses, we'll just compensate by focusing solely on our strengths.

All types do this, as you say. For example, insecure Fe-users love to help people as a way to ignore their own problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    What kind of school is this where teachers invite students to their houses and text messages over phones?

WTF?!!
    for the house - it was sort of a celebration after the end of a long project which the teacher supervised. one off thing.

for the smsing - exchange of phone numbers was supposed to facilitate communication during a project...but ended up becoming otherwise, haha.

i guess the thing to me is, yes all the types can be insecure...but it seems that the entp (so far from my limited experience though, observing teachers) likes to especially stress that they are not "insecure" in that sense (e.g. the english teacher also keeps saying how he is fine with people disagreeing with him when he feels he is right and he even "gets a kick out of it")...but it seems completely otherwise!

no offense to anyone.