35 77.78%
  • Stay on the rope

10 22.22%
12311 Last

MBTI
    entp

Default Cut the rope? NT only

NTs only please. there is one like this in your section too

you are being rescued from an icy mountain with 4 other trapped climbers. the helicopter can't land so it lowered a rope ladder. 5 of you hanging on the ladder with you being the very last one hanging on to the rope ladder.

you see the rope is under stress since and it WILL break if more than 4 people hold on for more than a minute. you being the last one, do you cut off the rope so the other 4 can live or do you stay on...if you are gonna die, so does everyone else.

whats YOUR reason for cutting off the rope ladder or staying on it

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Why can't it lift the first 4 people, then lower again to pick me up?
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    entp

cuz the weather sucks

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

1. The typical helicopter can only hover between 15,000 and 18,000 feet before lack of air density prevents it from staying aloft. (note: A specially designed helicopter actually summitted Everest in the last few years but this is not the norm capability.) How tall is the icy mountain?

2. I would have figured this out BEFORE getting on the rope and chosen not to go if there were no other volunteers to stay; I wouldn't have just hopped on the ladder, then found myself in a bind in mid-air.

Note: These answers might seem snarky... but they are actually the first two things I thought of.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

I seriously doubt "the weather sucks" would be a good reason for a rescue helicopter to leave one person stranded.
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    1. The typical helicopter can only hover between 15,000 and 18,000 feet before lack of air density prevents it from staying aloft. (note: A specially designed helicopter actually summitted Everest in the last few years but this is not the norm capability.) How tall is the icy mountain?

2. I would have figured this out BEFORE getting on the rope and chosen not to go if there were no other volunteers to stay; I wouldn't have just hopped on the ladder, then found myself in a bind in mid-air.

Note: These answers might seem snarky... but they are actually the first two things I thought of.
    You know this is theoretical Jennifer. Stop being a smarty pants!

What are the consequences of cutting the rope? Death?
    I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that he is a fraud, and I think despite all of his rhetoric about being a champion of the working class, it will turn out to be hollow -- Bernie Sanders on Trump

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by spirilis View Post
    I seriously doubt "the weather sucks" would be a good reason for a rescue helicopter to leave one person stranded.
    How about "the pilot sucks?"

Quote Originally Posted by Nancynobullets View Post
    You know this is theoretical Jennifer. Stop being a smarty pants!
    I'm not. Honestly... I have a lot of trouble answering theoretical questions that don't make sense. I don't see them as honest questions, so there is little point in committing to something that involves my moral and rational character. I might as well say, "I wait until we're halfway up, then shake the ladder madly to knock off my friends like limp raisins so that I might survive."

My other rationale here: I see this question has been cross-posted in all the other MBTI archetype forums. Maybe my response is a more NT response -- do NTs typically meta-explore the question rather than just answering it like some other archetypes might?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

garbage

IT'S A MAGICAL LADDER THAT CAN ONLY HOLD FOUR PEOPLE

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

This is an inadequate hypothetical question! *cuts the thread and watches it tumble down the mountain*

Default Your scenario does not make sense! It's logically contradictory

Quote Originally Posted by thisGuy View Post
    NTs only please. there is one like this in your section too

you are being rescued from an icy mountain with 4 other trapped climbers. the helicopter can't land so it lowered a rope ladder. 5 of you hanging on the ladder with you being the very last one hanging on to the rope ladder.

you see the rope is under stress since and it WILL break if more than 4 people hold on for more than a minute. you being the last one, do you cut off the rope so the other 4 can live or do you stay on...if you gotta stay on the mountain, so does everyone else.

whats YOUR reason for cutting off the rope ladder or staying on it

What? The bolded, the statement doesn't follow from the premise you outlined. You said: (a) either cut the rope so the other four can survive, meaning the person gets left behind on the mountain while the rest 4 are rescued,

or

(b) all 5 stay on the rope and none (supposedly) survive....

But...

if you gotta stay on the mountain, so does everyone else.
    Huh?

So, what are the contingency choices?
    All die/you choose to save the rest 4

Or

No one is rescued...and all stay on the mountain?

I don't get this!!! It doesn't make sense!