• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Cut the rope? NT only

Do you cut off the rope? NTs only please

• Cut off the rope

Votes: 33 76.7%
  • Stay on the rope

Votes: 10 23.3%

• Total voters

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, what if I hate the person just above me? An option would be to pull him off of the rope. Yay, saved.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
This would be a better question:

You find yourself on a ropeladder hanging from a chopper together with 3 other people. Two people are higher up the ladder, one is slightly down from your position.

Your eyes catch the rope slowly tearing up near the helicopter. You quickly asses the situation and realise there is approximatly 1 to 2 people too much hanging from the rope. But you are not certain. You have 4 seconds of descision time before the ladder breaks and everyone falls. Cutting beneath you first in the case there are two people too much hanging from the rope would sufficiently strain the rope to break anyway, due to the time it takes to cut the rope.

Will you cut the rope above you, or beneath you?

The angles that make this question interesting is. Can you live with yourself taking the chance to cut one person to their death in the case one was enough. Are you willing to put two more lives at stake for the sake of an assumption. Would you cut the rope above you just so you don't have to live with killing someone else. Etc, etc.

that the real question if you want the moral co-relations and justifications...i just wanna compare schools of thought and approaches to the conclusion without too much regard for the conclusion itself.

more ambiguous, the better...or thats what i figure

and what you said is actually what exactly what happens in a movie...i forgot which one

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
Does the ladder break and leave everybody to die if the person on bottom quickly scrambles up ahead of the rest on the ladder?

/

just a question!
I'm not saying I'd do it. :dry:

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
See, the thing is that I would have been the first one on the ladder in the first place.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'd let you in front of me, Jenocyde.

*blink smirk blink smirk blink*

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
Why don't we just scream to the person on top to hurry the fuck up and get in the chopper???

cant hurt to try i guess...though if they are getting rescued, chances are, they already are...and they prolly won't be able to hear you over the blades of the chopper

youd prolly have more luck lighting putting your cig lighter to their feet

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
Does the ladder break and leave everybody to die if the person on bottom quickly scrambles up ahead of the rest on the ladder?

/

just a question!
I'm not saying I'd do it. :dry:

scramble up while the ladder already has the five people on it? DUH! changing positions doesn't change the weight

See, the thing is that I would have been the first one on the ladder in the first place.

but you werent...your the last one

laughingebony

MBTI Type
INTP
Which begs the question on how you know for sure what the question was written for? Maybe it was to test our thinking skills... who the hell knows? I certainly don't. And you don't either.

The fact that the poll only shows two choices is a big hint. If it were meant to be open-ended, there wouldn't only be two choices.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
scramble up while the ladder already has the five people on it? DUH! changing positions doesn't change the weight

If someone were really quick, I bet he could do it before the minute was up!

Jaguar

so far, for most NTs only thing that has mattered is the value of the question. most are unable to even look past that. this could mean several things, including:

-apathy. not wanting to spend time on a question because of its perceived incompetency

All those red-herring details, when all you had to ask was:

Would you sacrifice your life for another?
And the truth is, you are asking a conscious question, which requires an unconscious answer.

Only in a moment of truth like the one you described,
do we find out who we really are.
I contend that what many think they would do,
might just be the opposite of what they really would do.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Aye, in the heat of the moment, most people probably would be too afraid to make a choice.

Hell, even I would have a moment of doubt. If that moment is long enough, bye bye all.

There's tons of factors that come in to play that we can only guess right now.

All I know is, if I am really really certain about the situation. I've thought about it, processed it, and know that this is exactly the situation and cutting myself off or letting go is the only way to prevent everyone from dying. Then I am certain I would let go.

The thing is, that clarity will most likely not be present for me in such a situation.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
All those red-herring details, when all you had to ask was:

Would you sacrifice your life for another?
And the truth is, you are asking a conscious question, which requires an unconscious answer.

Only in a moment of truth like the one you described,
do we find out who we really are.
I contend that what many think they would do,
might just be the opposite of what they really would do.

which is why i dont even know what the poll count is...ive only been looking at the response, not the poll itself

the question would be 'would you sacrifice you own life for another' and then there would be SOOO many rationalizations without actual resolutions

this way, people need particular answers so they ask particular questions...so their thought process is actually directed towards an end...

also, based on the questions, i can take the thread whichever way i feel like...when this 'question' turned into a riddle, i stopped arguing and let that happen cuz i was at work and was talking to coworkers about leaving for lunch soon... :D

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I've been in messed up situations where it could have resulted in death, and let me tell you, the instinct and will to survive is more potent than any held value system. Even the most docile fawn in the wilderness will fight you to the death in order to survive. This is why people get trampled when you scream 'fire' in a crowded building.

When it comes to dying vs. shame that you survived, I'll take the shame knowing that I can live long enough to come to terms with my decision later, in therapy or through liquor. I would fight and claw and bite my way to the top and in that moment, I wouldn't give a damn if all 4 people drop to their deaths beneath me. I ain't going out like that.

But of course, this would be the absolute last resort, not my first instinct - which would be to look for another alternative.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I love how a lot of NTs try to find ways around the situation. It's symbolic of how NTs are constantly thinking outside of the box.

If I was in this situation (yes, I know, I'm not an NT), I'd cut the rope without hesitation so they could live.

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa
Fuck Yo Thread Nigga.
3924576_m.gif

Actually it is kind of interesting.

NT-Can't get past the structure of the very question. Probably from all the Ps here

SP-Asking questions about the rope and mechanics and details.

NF-Questioning "who" is one the ladder. What their personal situation is.

SJ-A few giving a simple affirmation.