• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Cut the rope? NT only

Do you cut off the rope? NTs only please

• Cut off the rope

Votes: 33 76.7%
  • Stay on the rope

Votes: 10 23.3%

• Total voters

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
NTs only please. there is one like this in your section too

you are being rescued from an icy mountain with 4 other trapped climbers. the helicopter can't land so it lowered a rope ladder. 5 of you hanging on the ladder with you being the very last one hanging on to the rope ladder.

you see the rope is under stress since and it WILL break if more than 4 people hold on for more than a minute. you being the last one, do you cut off the rope so the other 4 can live or do you stay on...if you are gonna die, so does everyone else.

whats YOUR reason for cutting off the rope ladder or staying on it

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Why can't it lift the first 4 people, then lower again to pick me up?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1. The typical helicopter can only hover between 15,000 and 18,000 feet before lack of air density prevents it from staying aloft. (note: A specially designed helicopter actually summitted Everest in the last few years but this is not the norm capability.) How tall is the icy mountain?

2. I would have figured this out BEFORE getting on the rope and chosen not to go if there were no other volunteers to stay; I wouldn't have just hopped on the ladder, then found myself in a bind in mid-air.

Note: These answers might seem snarky... but they are actually the first two things I thought of.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I seriously doubt "the weather sucks" would be a good reason for a rescue helicopter to leave one person stranded.

Eruca

78% me
MBTI Type
INxx
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1. The typical helicopter can only hover between 15,000 and 18,000 feet before lack of air density prevents it from staying aloft. (note: A specially designed helicopter actually summitted Everest in the last few years but this is not the norm capability.) How tall is the icy mountain?

2. I would have figured this out BEFORE getting on the rope and chosen not to go if there were no other volunteers to stay; I wouldn't have just hopped on the ladder, then found myself in a bind in mid-air.

Note: These answers might seem snarky... but they are actually the first two things I thought of.

You know this is theoretical Jennifer. Stop being a smarty pants! :D

What are the consequences of cutting the rope? Death?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I seriously doubt "the weather sucks" would be a good reason for a rescue helicopter to leave one person stranded.

How about "the pilot sucks?" :smile:

I'm not. :( Honestly... I have a lot of trouble answering theoretical questions that don't make sense. I don't see them as honest questions, so there is little point in committing to something that involves my moral and rational character. I might as well say, "I wait until we're halfway up, then shake the ladder madly to knock off my friends like limp raisins so that I might survive."

My other rationale here: I see this question has been cross-posted in all the other MBTI archetype forums. Maybe my response is a more NT response -- do NTs typically meta-explore the question rather than just answering it like some other archetypes might?

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
This is an inadequate hypothetical question! *cuts the thread and watches it tumble down the mountain*

Qre:us

Your scenario does not make sense! It's logically contradictory

NTs only please. there is one like this in your section too

you are being rescued from an icy mountain with 4 other trapped climbers. the helicopter can't land so it lowered a rope ladder. 5 of you hanging on the ladder with you being the very last one hanging on to the rope ladder.

you see the rope is under stress since and it WILL break if more than 4 people hold on for more than a minute. you being the last one, do you cut off the rope so the other 4 can live or do you stay on...if you gotta stay on the mountain, so does everyone else.

whats YOUR reason for cutting off the rope ladder or staying on it

What? The bolded, the statement doesn't follow from the premise you outlined. You said: (a) either cut the rope so the other four can survive, meaning the person gets left behind on the mountain while the rest 4 are rescued,

or

(b) all 5 stay on the rope and none (supposedly) survive....

But...

if you gotta stay on the mountain, so does everyone else.

Huh?

So, what are the contingency choices?
All die/you choose to save the rest 4

Or

No one is rescued...and all stay on the mountain?

I don't get this!!! It doesn't make sense!

ygolo

My termites win
I've tried asking questions like this too, but the scenario messes things up a lot of times.

It may be more direct to just ask "if you would be willing to sacrifice yourself for 4 other people if there was no way to save yourself"....but then the "it depends" answer is too easy.

Anyways, if the scenario was such that either all five of us end up dead or just I do, rationally, I would elect for just me. So I guess "cut off the rope," is my official answer. But in that scenario, i'd probably be to worked up to notice or think about any of this.

Eruca

78% me
MBTI Type
INxx
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"I wait until we're halfway up, then shake the ladder madly to knock off my friends like limp raisins so that I might survive."

Thats a good answer if its what you would really do. Why not? Whether it could actually happen doesnt matter. What matters is that you would chose that option.

Still, the question really wasnt explained very well.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is an inadequate hypothetical question! *cuts the thread and watches it tumble down the mountain*

Wait, if I wasn't on the rope because I was sacrificing my life to save my friends, now they're all dead and I'm still alive!

Wow... talk about divine karma!

Thats a good answer if its what you would really do. Why not? Whether it could actually happen doesnt matter. What matters is that you would chose that option.

I totally understand intellectually what you are saying.

I am saying that it's literally like I open my mouth and nothing comes out even when I try -- i can't give a serious answer to a question that makes no sense to me.

No wonder high school teachers hate us.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp

oh...ok

but then you would also know that the ladder should be able to hold 4+ people. what you would nto know is this chopper just came back from another emergency mission (where the rope for 4+ got frayed) and that now its using emergency supplies that include the rope that can only hold 4 people

so you ARE stuck in a bind

What are the consequences of cutting the rope? Death?

yes

Eruca

78% me
MBTI Type
INxx
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What? The bolded, the statement doesn't follow from the premise you outlined. You said: (a) either cut the rope so the other four can survive, meaning the person gets left behind on the mountain while the rest 4 are rescued,

or

But...

Huh?

Or

My thoughts exactly.

I chose to believe in scenario (A) because its more interesting. =D

Qre:us

FIX THE OP FOR IT TO MAKE SENSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(never mind, my irritation is setting in, in not being able to contemplate this Q cuz of the inconsistency... so I'm bidding adieu to this thread...peace!)

Misty_Mountain_Rose

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
If they were people I loved, I'd gladly stay so that they could live. If they were complete strangers, I'd probably weigh the value of 4 lives to 5 deaths and figure it isn't worth it and I'd cut the rope for the greater good. The reasons would be different, but the result I guess would be the same.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp

or

But...

Huh?

Or

gonna edit OP...that part was my mistake

edit: LOL NTs are the only ones that demand that B come after A, ill expand on the situation and why i asked this question later on

Aerithria

Senior Thread Terminator
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
How'd you be able to tell that it'd break after a minute? And how do you know that it can only take four people? That seems oddly specific. You could cut yourself off and it could still break due to your crappy estimations. And if you're the fifth person, wouldn't you be close enough to the ground that you wouldn't necessarily die on contact? Especially considering you said "more than a minute", implying that you'd just climbed onto the ladder, or you'd be on for longer than a minute and it wouldn't matter.

I'd just drop to the ground until one person had reached the helicopter, and then get on the ladder. I can't imagine I'd die from cold waiting for one person to climb on the helicopter, because then we'd all die from the cold while waiting for everyone to climb up.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
This poll is pointless :D

Shave the pope , die like a man !

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVhrIfaPKxw"].[/YOUTUBE]