User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you cut off the rope? NTs only please

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cut off the rope

    35 77.78%
  • Stay on the rope

    10 22.22%
First 1234513 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 131

  1. #21
    78% me Eruca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    941

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aerithria View Post
    How'd you be able to tell that it'd break after a minute? And how do you know that it can only take four people? That seems oddly specific. You could cut yourself off and it could still break due to your crappy estimations. And if you're the fifth person, wouldn't you be close enough to the ground that you wouldn't necessarily die on contact? Especially considering you said "more than a minute", implying that you'd just climbed onto the ladder, or you'd be on for longer than a minute and it wouldn't matter.

    I'd just drop to the ground until one person had reached the helicopter, and then get on the ladder. I can't imagine I'd die from cold waiting for one person to climb on the helicopter, because then we'd all die from the cold while waiting for everyone to climb up.
    Holy Moley! What is wrong with you people?!

    You call yourself N's? Dont take it so literally. The entire story is just a frame for the moral question thatguy was trying to ask.

    How do you know it can take only 4 people? You just do! Why you know is irrelevant when answering the question.
    I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that he is a fraud, and I think despite all of his rhetoric about being a champion of the working class, it will turn out to be hollow -- Bernie Sanders on Trump

  2. #22
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nancynobullets View Post
    Holy Moley! What is wrong with you people?!

    You call yourself N's? Dont take it so literally. The entire story is just a frame for the moral question thatguy was trying to ask.

    How do you know it can take only 4 people? You just do! Why you know is irrelevant when answering the question.
    Read this again:

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    My other rationale here: I see this question has been cross-posted in all the other MBTI archetype forums. Maybe my response is a more NT response -- do NTs typically meta-explore the question rather than just answering it like some other archetypes might?
    If you're interested in archetype responses, then when pretty much all the NTs you ask -- instead of answering the question -- either challenge its premises OR say "I have issues with this question, but I guess I'd do <this>"...

    ... maybe this is telling you what you wanted to know about NTs all along, compared to other types. It just gives you an answer you weren't expecting.

    You call yourself N's? Dont take it so literally.
    Actually, look outside the given question with your N and see the pattern here. What's it say about NTs vs NFs or others?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  3. #23
    Senior Thread Terminator Aerithria's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    568

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nancynobullets View Post
    Holy Moley! What is wrong with you people?!

    You call yourself N's? Dont take it so literally. The entire story is just a frame for the moral question thatguy was trying to ask.

    How do you know it can take only 4 people? You just do! Why you know is irrelevant when answering the question.
    Well the answer is obvious. Unless you have a grudge against the rest of them, you sacrifice yourself. It's predictable and dull. I'm not really interested in the answer.

    The question, however, is fun to pick apart. So I chose to do that instead.

    Besides, you see something that doesn't make sense and you don't get the inclination to pick it apart? Are you sure you're a T?
    [insert funny quote/saying/etc.]

  4. #24
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nancynobullets View Post
    Holy Moley! What is wrong with you people?!

    You call yourself N's? Dont take it so literally. The entire story is just a frame for the moral question thatguy was trying to ask.

    How do you know it can take only 4 people? You just do! Why you know is irrelevant when answering the question.
    The problem is the question is pointless. Noone wants everyone to die and therfore the only logical result is to cut off the pope.

    The last thing possible tho would be, you could catch one guy and throw him down to death instead. But well yeah, that would be evil
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  5. #25
    Senior Member Qre:us's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,909

    Default Thank you!

    Quote Originally Posted by thisGuy View Post
    NTs only please. there is one like this in your section too


    you are being rescued from an icy mountain with 4 other trapped climbers. the helicopter can't land so it lowered a rope ladder. 5 of you hanging on the ladder with you being the very last one hanging on to the rope ladder.

    you see the rope is under stress since and it WILL break if more than 4 people hold on for more than a minute. you being the last one, do you cut off the rope so the other 4 can live or do you stay on...if you are gonna die, so does everyone else.


    whats YOUR reason for cutting off the rope ladder or staying on it
    Depends on kinship.

    If I don't know them, then, I would not cut the rope....my will to live (the 0.000001% probability) that we *all* might live (esp. ME) will outbid any sense of greater altruism at the cost of my own suicide. I'm a fighter until the end...esp. for my own life.

  6. #26
    78% me Eruca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    941

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Read this again:



    If you're interested in archetype responses, then when pretty much all the NTs you ask -- instead of answering the question -- either challenge its premises OR say "I have issues with this question, but I guess I'd do <this>"...

    ... maybe this is telling you what you wanted to know about NTs all along, compared to other types. It just gives you an answer you weren't expecting.



    Actually, look outside the given question with your N and see the pattern here. What's it say about NTs vs NFs or others?
    I realise that we have learnt something about how the differenent temperaments answer theoretical questions. And thats great. But that wasnt the goal of the question, which was obviously meant to question our value systems.
    I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that he is a fraud, and I think despite all of his rhetoric about being a champion of the working class, it will turn out to be hollow -- Bernie Sanders on Trump

  7. #27
    half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp
    Posts
    6,387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    The last thing possible tho would be, you could catch one guy and throw him down to death instead. But well yeah, that would be evil
    best answer.

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    entp
    Posts
    1,190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aerithria View Post
    And if you're the fifth person, wouldn't you be close enough to the ground that you wouldn't necessarily die on contact? Especially considering you said "more than a minute", implying that you'd just climbed onto the ladder, or you'd be on for longer than a minute and it wouldn't matter.
    indeed

    but if you get left behind, its a sure death since there is no more choppers coming back. you cant stay on the mountain for an extended period else there would be no need for a group rescue

    Quote Originally Posted by Aerithria View Post
    I'd just drop to the ground until one person had reached the helicopter, and then get on the ladder. I can't imagine I'd die from cold waiting for one person to climb on the helicopter, because then we'd all die from the cold while waiting for everyone to climb up.

  9. #29
    Senior Thread Terminator Aerithria's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    568

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thisGuy View Post
    indeed

    but if you get left behind, its a sure death since there is no more choppers coming back. you cant stay on the mountain for an extended period else there would be no need for a group rescue
    Why'd the chopper leave at all? If you said that the capacity of the helicopter could only hold four people, that'd make sense. But you said the rope couldn't hold more than four. Which implies that if someone else climbed up, you could safely get all five into the helicopter before it leaves.
    [insert funny quote/saying/etc.]

  10. #30
    half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp
    Posts
    6,387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nancynobullets View Post
    I realise that we have learnt something about how the differenent temperaments answer theoretical question. And thats great. But that wasnt the goal of the question, which was obviously meant to question our value systems.
    How can you possibly know this?

    And even if it is true, if it's a hypothetical question, then expect further investigation - which is the point of a hypothesis.

Similar Threads

  1. [MBTItm] [For non-NTs only] NT as the love of life.
    By braziljoe in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-06-2010, 07:46 AM
  2. Cut the rope...CnD
    By thisGuy in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-21-2009, 09:06 PM
  3. [SJ] Do you cut off the rope? SJs only please
    By thisGuy in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-19-2009, 06:31 PM
  4. [SP] Cut off the rope? SP only
    By thisGuy in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 06-18-2009, 11:49 PM
  5. [NF] Do you cut off the rope? NFs only please
    By thisGuy in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 06-18-2009, 11:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO