User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Se-NT Conflict?

MBTI
    XXFP

(just read first post)

It sounds possible that she wasn't interested/following your train of thought and just wanted to change the subject.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Engler View Post
    Not to be pedantic, but wouldn't this be more indicative of introverted sensing, rather than extroverted sensing?

Introverted sensing deals with the acquisition and review of data, so as to assess a situation according to its relation to previous experiences, or established fact.

Extroverted sensing, on the other hand, deals with immediately available, external data, that can be directly experienced.

So, it seems to me as though your aunt's focus on grammatical accuracy can be more accurately associated with introverted sensing, seeing as how she wanted to establish consistency.
    +1

What you are talking about is Si not Se

Please, before starting a thread at least know what the functions do

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Question for T users...is it by any chance possible to, if you really cannot keep yourself from glancing over such an error (be it that 'all' thing or the grammar error), as you feel it might have value to the conversation, to in stead of correcting the person, formulate the correction as a question aka 'Is this what you meant?' without displaying that you know better? Coz I think that could save you a lot of frustration, defensiveness and derails on both ends.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    Question for T users...
    Pfft, it's not a 'T' thing, it's an 'anal' thing

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I don't correct other peoples grammar and spelling mistakes unless they ask for it.

I have no problem reading past mistakes. I've done so all my life and it has never bothered me.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    Question for T users...is it by any chance possible to, if you really cannot keep yourself from glancing over such an error (be it that 'all' thing or the grammar error), as you feel it might have value to the conversation, to in stead of correcting the person, formulate the correction as a question aka 'Is this what you meant?' without displaying that you know better? Coz I think that could save you a lot of frustration, defensiveness and derails on both ends.
    Could you fail harder?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Unique View Post
    Could you fail harder?
    You know, if you were one of the guys sitting with me, T-Pain and another friend at the table when I found out I'd won a vacation on a boat, I'd totally not pick you.

btw, several different functions can be responsible for spelling and grammar nitpicking, not just Si. My mom seems to do it out of Si, just to make it match past experience consistently...but I do it out of Ti, because it violates my inner framework of logical relationships by which everything is judged, and my dad probably does it out of Te, because you can't expect to achieve the highest efficiency in your pursuit of goals if you don't have your shit together with proper English (Ni asks, "What would that symbolize about me if I went around using language improperly?...he's an INTJ.)

You'd be surprised.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

sounds like a Te thing...

this extraverted sensor happen to be an ESTJ?..

In which case we're not talking extraverted sensing at all.
    we're talking Te and Si, which sounds more accurate. Se is not known for being a nitpicky function

MBTI
    xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by Provoker View Post
    I was explaining to my aunt that if I pursue a law degree in the UK, in order to make it transferrable to Canada it will have to be reviewed by a committee and based on where I got the degree, my marks, and so forth, they will specify X, Y, Z (usually some exams and a number of hours at a Canadian accredited law school). Now, here I said "Z" like "zee" rather than "zed." Then, she proceeded to completely derail the conversation by going on about it being "zed" for Canadians, which is something I know but don't care to change since zee comes much more naturally to me and I find it more pleasing to the ears, the heck with tradition.
    Anyone can be an ass. I don't really think it's a typological thing. I find it interesting that you even bothered explaining such things to her, since her cup was obviously too full to be able to take in the information you were offering her. She already knows everything, silly.

However, I suppose it all depends on the person. She sounds pretty atrocious, but I've encountered people who honest to goodness think that small details like that are important.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
    I notice spelling and grammatical errors without actively looking for them, but I won't point them out if they are not essential to the subject being discussed. Unless the wording is vague and leads to conflicting interpretations of a statement, I don't really care. I can still understand the idea being communicated.
    My sentiments exactly.