User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Default INTP and Sociopath

My ENTJ friend told me tonight that he thinks I am a sociopath. Any other INTP's in my same boat?
    Last edited by Schizm; 09-17-2007 at 12:45 AM.

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

There is one INFP who thinks that I am a sociopath, supposedly because I dont show any emotion and seem very unsociable. According to my INTJ friend/his wife. I told her that it would make more sense if he meant by 'anti-social', that i'm unsociable, rather than that I'm a sociopath. But no..she insisted that he meant that I'm a sociopath..

Rather odd...I think the real reason has nothign to do with my INTPish behavior and everything to do with how I stood him off when we first met..I thought he was being overly accomodating..and I was in my neurotic Ti phase..he musnt have appreciated my challenging and critical remarks i started off our discussion with..by which i of course meant no harm..thats just part and parcel of my analytical approach to life..but i bet he took it personally..

I'd say STPs are a better fit for the sociopath archetype. The folks who are resolute on appeasing their desires in a very dispassionate fashion, the pestilence of which knows no end because their are desires can be moved on whim..on mere impulse..

ESTP is the best fit of all, I'd say..the most impulsive and the least aware of how their actions impact others because of their inferior N..ISTPs, though with a lower F, tend to be more reflective (I), and more perceptive..yet one can hardly avoid associating the neurotic ESTP caricature with a rogue archetype..
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Yeah i agree. INTPs can be distant and hard to read, but they are typically quite unlike a sociopathic profile. Anyway, it is a little dangerous to associate an entire personality type with a disorder. I agree about the STPs having some appearance that is more like a sociopath than an INTP, but even there it is a fundamental difference between personality trait and disorder. Maybe it would be like saying INTPs are austistic or have Aspergers? Or ESFPs are manic depressive/bipolar? What would INFs be? Something reality optional.

Hey this is almost fun in a weird and useless way.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    Yeah i agree. INTPs can be distant and hard to read, but they are typically quite unlike a sociopathic profile.
    INTPs are more "schizoid" if anything. They can end up shunning emotion/connection in favor of impersonal analysis of everything. If someone does become too detached from their emotions and other people's emotions, yes, they can start behaving in ways that are very hurtful to others, but the psychopathology of the sociopath is much different than the typical INTP.

Most INTPs get frustrated, hurt, angry, whatnot, by society and its restrictions; and eventually can "shut off" their empathy. But they still had it to begin with.

Sociopaths are very different. They are numb to empathy to start with, it seems. Other people are only objects. Sociopaths are completely self-centered, basically amoral and solipsistic in nature. They just do whatever pleases them in the moment; and if someone else gets in their way, they coldly and methodically will remove them. Impersonal, numb, and cold would be good ways to describe it; people are nothing more than scraps of paper to be crumpled up and discarded if inconvenient, and otherwise they can be ignored. It is like the ability to connect, empathize, and understand (and/or care) about others has been burned out of them.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP

I have a friend that called me a sociopath due to my...dark sense of humor.

Me: I can honestly say that I don't enjoy seeing things burn.
    Friend: What? How can you say that?
    Me: I'd much rather see something drown...

...I'm not very funny btw
    Ti > Ne > Ni > Si > Fi > Se > Te > Fe

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    INTPs are more "schizoid" if anything. They can end up shunning emotion/connection in favor of impersonal analysis of everything. If someone does become too detached from their emotions and other people's emotions, yes, they can start behaving in ways that are very hurtful to others, but the psychopathology of the sociopath is much different than the typical INTP.

Most INTPs get frustrated, hurt, angry, whatnot, by society and its restrictions; and eventually can "shut off" their empathy. But they still had it to begin with.

Sociopaths are very different. They are numb to empathy to start with, it seems. Other people are only objects. Sociopaths are completely self-centered, basically amoral and solipsistic in nature. They just do whatever pleases them in the moment; and if someone else gets in their way, they coldly and methodically will remove them. Impersonal, numb, and cold would be good ways to describe it; people are nothing more than scraps of paper to be crumpled up and discarded if inconvenient, and otherwise they can be ignored. It is like the ability to connect, empathize, and understand (and/or care) about others has been burned out of them.
    so is it natural born? could some traumatic event take place in childhood like the death of a parent, child molestation or later such as rape. An accumalation of events might re-enforce and strengthen the I as apposed to we philosophy.I imagine predisposition would play a vital part in how such traumatic events are taken inward then reflected back.

By their very nature i imagine accounts by sociopaths are very rare and liers never give true accounts, so is most information on sociopaths restricted to observations by a second party?

can they be cured?

would counceling of this type be only of use to the councelor?

MBTI
    Intp
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by return-of-uni View Post
    so are sociopaths created or natural born?

By their very nature i imagine accounts by sociopaths are very rare and liers never give true accounts, so is most information on sociopaths restricted to observations by a second party?

can they be cured?

... and do sociopaths realize they are sociopaths?
    Vanitas vanitatum omnia vanitas

Banned

... and do sociopaths realize they are sociopaths?
    well as far as im aware sociopaths arent of limited intelligence except emotionally and an observant parent might spot these tendencies and seek support counceling etc for their offspring i think cold personality syndrome is basically the same and was used before the term sociopath was invented or became mainstream.

The impairment to observation of others would be limited due to the lack of empathic feeling and a lier who is completely unempathic would i presume naturally assume all others are doing the same somewhat. But actions by others would be hard to ignore as would the lifestyle differences between a sociopath and non. so i imagine on the whole they do but are there different grades? The closer to norm i imagine the harder it is for even them to spot. so at a guess yes on the whole.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Schizm View Post
    My ENTJ friend told me tonight that he thinks I am a sociopath. Any other INTP's in my same boat?
    The sociopath conforms to the norm.
    A cancer cell conforms to the norm, too.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by return-of-uni View Post
    so is it natural born? could some traumatic event take place in childhood like the death of a parent, child molestation or later such as rape. An accumalation of events might re-enforce and strengthen the I as apposed to we philosophy.I imagine predisposition would play a vital part in how such traumatic events are taken inward then reflected back.

can they be cured?

From what little I've read, it seems sociopaths benefit most from counseling that helps them understand how they benefit by obeying laws and basically behaving themselves.

But I think sociopaths usually only get diagnosed and treated when they can't figure that out for themselves and wind up in the penal system. I do not think they have had good luck with curing them, just convincing them to try to play well with others.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers