• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] INTP and Sociopath

A Schnitzel

WTF is this dude saying?
MBTI Type
INTP
Well, that's good to know. Oddly enough, I said that and he was like "yeah, that's true." So, what do you do with someone who candidly admits to being self-centered and focused? Stay away from them? Then who will love them!?!?

Call him on it more often. If he gets sick of it, he won't want to be friends with you and there's nothing you can do about it. You're only enabling him by encouraging this sort of behaviour and it sends the message that others will also put up with it.

You wouldn't be rejecting him as a friend, but sending the message that you accept certain standards of behaviour from people you call your friend.

Rachelinpa

MBTI Type
ENFP
Call him on it more often. If he gets sick of it, he won't want to be friends with you and there's nothing you can do about it. You're only enabling him by encouraging this sort of behaviour and it sends the message that others will also put up with it.

You wouldn't be rejecting him as a friend, but sending the message that you accept certain standards of behaviour from people you call your friend.

Good advice. I call him out as often as I can, I do. It puzzles me that he thinks he can get away with certain stuff though.

One time I was driving us somewhere and he was like "Cut that guy off!" And, I snapped at him and said "Don't tell me what to do! Why don't you drive. Do people always listen to you?" And he said, "Most people would have done it." Implying that he is used to people he perceives as being a pushover will do whatever he says. He had (ironically) sort of said at one point that he was concerned that I would be taken advantage of in my life. It's like he sees my kindness as a weakness though and doesn't recognize that I can set boundaries if I have to. I would just rather give people the benefit of the doubt... and being kind to people I like isn't so much a virtue or something I strive for... as what comes naturally to me.

A Schnitzel

WTF is this dude saying?
MBTI Type
INTP
It would be good if you warn any of your other friends that know him about this behaviour. You can't fight it by yourself. Whether he feels remorse is secondary and isn't something you can control. All that matters is that he stops this sort of destructive behaviour around you.

DanOcean

MBTI Type
ESTP
Well I am a sociopath and a VERY clear ESTP. After testing and reading the description of ESTP it was almost creepy how well it explained my life/personality.

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
INTPs are more "schizoid" if anything. They can end up shunning emotion/connection in favor of impersonal analysis of everything. If someone does become too detached from their emotions and other people's emotions, yes, they can start behaving in ways that are very hurtful to others, but the psychopathology of the sociopath is much different than the typical INTP.

Most INTPs get frustrated, hurt, angry, whatnot, by society and its restrictions; and eventually can "shut off" their empathy. But they still had it to begin with.

Sociopaths are very different. They are numb to empathy to start with, it seems. Other people are only objects. Sociopaths are completely self-centered, basically amoral and solipsistic in nature. They just do whatever pleases them in the moment; and if someone else gets in their way, they coldly and methodically will remove them. Impersonal, numb, and cold would be good ways to describe it; people are nothing more than scraps of paper to be crumpled up and discarded if inconvenient, and otherwise they can be ignored. It is like the ability to connect, empathize, and understand (and/or care) about others has been burned out of them.

Is it just me, or does this describe a really extreme ESTP? INTP's are definitely schizoid. Psychologists have pressured me to get more friends, to take drugs because they thought that I am depressed, and other crazy shit that E's think is called fixing the introvert.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
The word "sociopath" is nothing more than a word to describe people who take to acting without emotion or empathy in the extreme, and it is a word with a strong emotional/judgmental baggage attached to it by Feeler types who would demonize such diametrically opposed behavior. There is nothing wrong with a sociopath save for when that sociopath goes to the extreme of harming/killing others.

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
It has been my experience that many highly extroverted individuals will falsely label you as a sociopath if you do not cater to their insatiable need to whore attention and ingratiate themselves at your expense. They do this without a hint of shame, despite the fact that they are the ones exhibiting anti-social behavior.

Is it just me, or does this describe a really extreme ESTP? INTP's are definitely schizoid. Psychologists have pressured me to get more friends, to take drugs because they thought that I am depressed, and other crazy shit that E's think is called fixing the introvert.

mortabunt: speaking the truth, light-years ahead of the game

DanOcean

MBTI Type
ESTP
Its important to note the distinction between sociopath behavior and anti-social behavior or tendencies. I am a sociopath, without doubt. Even to the point that I feel awkward in situations where I know that an emotional response or behavior is required of me, and I have to logically and consciously mimic the response that I think is required. That being said, I am an extremely social person and most definitely would be labeled an extrovert (at least to the untrained eye..or trained eye for that matter). Sociopath behavior/tendencies does NOT equate to an urge to harm others. Those close do, however, tend to get harmed due to the lack of empathy inherent in sociopaths. This is more likely to be an emotional harm than it is a physical harm though.

Valuable_Money

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w6
Ive been accused of being a sociopath, an autistic, and supposedly "looking like a rapist" :p

Ulaes

loopy
MBTI Type
crak
Enneagram
sax
although im not a sociopath ive been suspected of being one. mostly by SJs. it makes me feel just that little more isolated, thanks guys.

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
No problem. SFJ's should stick to types of :coffee: beans rather than yelling out who they beleive is the :devil:.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I think some people can't see the world through your eyes and they're the type that thinks if you display emotions differently or not as "loud" you must be a sociopath, because I've been accused of being one.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
The word "sociopath" is nothing more than a word to describe people who take to acting without emotion or empathy in the extreme, and it is a word with a strong emotional/judgmental baggage attached to it by Feeler types who would demonize such diametrically opposed behavior. There is nothing wrong with a sociopath save for when that sociopath goes to the extreme of harming/killing others.

Yes there is. Sociopaths damage the understanding of trust that is required for a society to effectively function. Their greatest potential damage isn't in anything that they directly contributed to, but rather the engenderment of a culture of mistrust. As soon as pro-social people take on completely self-serving behavior because they can't trust anyone within their organization, the organization is doomed to long-term failure, and the members within often experience negative consequences.

To anyone who's claiming to be a sociopath - no, you're not. One of the hallmarks of Antisocial Personality Disorder is a complete obliviousness of one's own personality - a lifetime of lying to oneself convinces the person that he is the normal one, and everyone else is either lying about actually caring about people, or fools. True sociopaths would never claim to be so, as the cognitive pathways that are required for introspection are permanently never developed, along with those required for emotional affect.

That being said, I understand where you're coming from - sometimes, I think I'm completely devoid of emotions as well. However, that's more a function of my being NT dominant than anything - all I have to do is start thinking about my relationships with people, and I'll realize very quickly that I do have emotional affect. NT dominance is a radically different way of engaging the world than what most people are used to, and it's easy and understandable to feel different because of it. It's no easier that it takes concerted effort to reconcile our particular F tertiary/inferior and engage on the same level as most people, either.

Personally, I think that ASPD falls outside the sixteen types. Superficially, it may resemble ENTJ the most, as both appreciate making others do what the individual wants. The key difference there is that an ENTJ derives his or her satisfaction by the plan being followed through, while the sociopath derives satisfaction from making the other person jump.

That being said, it's impossible to type someone when there simply is no cognitive pathway for anything resembling an F to form.

hommefatal

Everyone (about 14/15 years old) tells me I'm a sociopath or at least sick because I talk about intellectual things. AND I'm such a left-wing extremist, lololol.

Oom

Your time is gonna come.
MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w4
Sounds like you guys talk to people who jump to conclusions too quickly. Just say, "Are you a psychologist? No? Then shut the fuck up."

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Yes there is. Sociopaths damage the understanding of trust that is required for a society to effectively function. Their greatest potential damage isn't in anything that they directly contributed to, but rather the engenderment of a culture of mistrust. As soon as pro-social people take on completely self-serving behavior because they can't trust anyone within their organization, the organization is doomed to long-term failure, and the members within often experience negative consequences.

To anyone who's claiming to be a sociopath - no, you're not. One of the hallmarks of Antisocial Personality Disorder is a complete obliviousness of one's own personality - a lifetime of lying to oneself convinces the person that he is the normal one, and everyone else is either lying about actually caring about people, or fools. True sociopaths would never claim to be so, as the cognitive pathways that are required for introspection are permanently never developed, along with those required for emotional affect.

That being said, I understand where you're coming from - sometimes, I think I'm completely devoid of emotions as well. However, that's more a function of my being NT dominant than anything - all I have to do is start thinking about my relationships with people, and I'll realize very quickly that I do have emotional affect. NT dominance is a radically different way of engaging the world than what most people are used to, and it's easy and understandable to feel different because of it. It's no easier that it takes concerted effort to reconcile our particular F tertiary/inferior and engage on the same level as most people, either.

Personally, I think that ASPD falls outside the sixteen types. Superficially, it may resemble ENTJ the most, as both appreciate making others do what the individual wants. The key difference there is that an ENTJ derives his or her satisfaction by the plan being followed through, while the sociopath derives satisfaction from making the other person jump.

That being said, it's impossible to type someone when there simply is no cognitive pathway for anything resembling an F to form.

Sociopathic behavior isn't conducive to the well being of the group, but by your standards/criteria, this is a nation of sociopaths and narcissists. I would actually argue in favor of that conclusion... It's certainly more difficult NOT to lean towards the narcissistic/sociopathic end these days because the culture is so hell bent on supporting that sort of behavior.

Senphi

MBTI Type
INTP
The term "sociopath" is thrown around far too liberally, these days. Most people don't even realize that the word pertains to a personality disorder that should be diagnosed. As for the population of sociopaths in the Western world, most of them are already institutionalized or will be shortly.

That being said, I work in retail and I was conversing with a customer recently. This customer had initiated conversation with me before and I'd always found him very boring, mainly because he just wants to chat. At any rate, after he had bored me with his chatting, he felt that it was time to say goodbye. Right before he left, he said, "Don't kill anyone." I found this somewhat funny, so I let out a chuckle. He looked at me as I did so, and I could tell that he was serious. This royally pissed me off. Honestly, how fucking rude is that? Yeah, I know I don't have the most cheerful demeanor sometimes, even without considering where I work. But to assume that I would just up and kill someone is foolish and quite insensitive, especially for a chatty sap like him. Next time that jerk wishes to involve me in his prate, he'll meet nothing but my cold shoulder.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
The term "sociopath" is thrown around far too liberally, these days. Most people don't even realize that the word pertains to a personality disorder that should be diagnosed. As for the population of sociopaths in the Western world, most of them are already institutionalized or will be shortly.

That being said, I work in retail and I was conversing with a customer recently. This customer had initiated conversation with me before and I'd always found him very boring, mainly because he just wants to chat. At any rate, after he had bored me with his chatting, he felt that it was time to say goodbye. Right before he left, he said, "Don't kill anyone." I found this somewhat funny, so I let out a chuckle. He looked at me as I did so, and I could tell that he was serious. This royally pissed me off. Honestly, how fucking rude is that? Yeah, I know I don't have the most cheerful demeanor sometimes, even without considering where I work. But to assume that I would just up and kill someone is foolish and quite insensitive, especially for a chatty sap like him. Next time that jerk wishes to involve me in his prate, he'll meet nothing but my cold shoulder.

Don't you find it more liberating to just say "Wtf do you mean?".