User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ERTP

Default NTs and the Split Self

I am writing a thesis on Love, and I'd appreciate any input from NTs regarding the notion of the Split Self.

It is already halfway present in Keirsey where he portrays the NT as split between a silent public figure, commited to technological progress and a more lagresse-oriented privat person.

(NTs in Keirseys view needs an NF to bring out the latter.)

That's just one example.

Another is the doctrine of Machiavelli (NT) who says that men are different in the plaza from what they are like in the palance.

I have other examples, but I would like you to freely brainstorm and contribute to this theme, if you have anything to add.
    best collection of philosopher typings online

http://www.celebritytypes.com/philosophers/

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

You're only describing the "try-hard" NTs, such as machievelli. Mark Twain once said if you never tell a lie, you never have to remember anything

If Aristotle is right, the path of virtue will be the choice of the wise person who also wants to be blessed with laziness and plenty of free time Sometimes the motivation towards good is selfish, it needn't be illicited by an NF.

Senior Member Misty_Mountain_Rose's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

One of my favorite quotes is from The Scarlet Letter - "No man for any considerable period can wear one face to himself and another to the multitude, without finally getting bewildered as to which may be the true."

Jokes aside, the part in the movie The Mask where Ben Stein is saying that everyone wears masks is the Gods honest truth. I think everyone has the persona that they wear on the outside that covers most of what goes on internally. By doing this, we probably even confuse ourselves. Is one of those ideas of 'self' inaccurate? Or is it that they make up the whole, together in a kind of yin/yang balance where one cannot exist without the other?

P.S. I don't think its an 'NT' thing, but a human thing.
    Embrace the possibilities.

MBTI
    entp

i think the perspective you are looking for is best looked at in those threads about falling in love in the relationship section

Enneagram
    9w8

What of the fact that one can also simply show different sides of themselves to the public from those in their personal lives? If you're defining what my inner self would do as my 'true' self, you'd actually have a childlike dreamer with a penchant for rambles about the history of aviation and talking really, really fast when I get into a topic sometimes... and then one that switches gears to an absolutely earnest expression of self when we get into any topic that deserves a certain gravitas.

Those two (out of many) facets of me do not do well in the general public. Sometimes I do not wish to deal with the annoyance of others taking excitement as immaturity, or the fact that I don't tolerate all that much avoidance or BS'ing from others if they want to participate in a real discussion with me.

I suppose all I'm saying is that... everyone has their reasons, but having two sides would be far too two-dimensional for many I know. You could perhaps expand your thesis or narrow down the parameters so it fits what you're really talking about?

P.S. I don't know which aspect you're actually talking about, unless the majority of the people ye're referring to really do have two distinct sides or versions of themselves they do or do not show others.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Silentium View Post
    What of the fact that one can also simply show different sides of themselves to the public from those in their personal lives? If you're defining what my inner self would do as my 'true' self, you'd actually have a childlike dreamer with a penchant for rambles about the history of aviation and talking really, really fast when I get into a topic sometimes... and then one that switches gears to an absolutely earnest expression of self when we get into any topic that deserves a certain gravitas.

Those two (out of many) facets of me do not do well in the general public. Sometimes I do not wish to deal with the annoyance of others taking excitement as immaturity, or the fact that I don't tolerate all that much avoidance or BS'ing from others if they want to participate in a real discussion with me.

I suppose all I'm saying is that... everyone has their reasons, but having two sides would be far too two-dimensional for many I know. You could perhaps expand your thesis or narrow down the parameters so it fits what you're really talking about?

P.S. I don't know which aspect you're actually talking about, unless the majority of the people ye're referring to really do have two distinct sides or versions of themselves they do or do not show others.
    I agree with this post. I think NTs show different aspects of their personality to different people. They're all part of themselves, but different people bring out different aspects. It's the chameleon effect that we've discussed before. I could see a stoic NT having a silly side at home, etc., but I don't think there's a Public Mask and a Private Mask.
    Something Witty

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

gimme a synopsis of the split self.
    i googled it but it was just a bunch of links to an article on marital infidelity.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    SEXY

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    It is already halfway present in Keirsey where he portrays the NT as split between a silent public figure, commited to technological progress and a more lagresse-oriented privat person.
    I recently came to this conclusion myself and am now trying to exploit that knowledge now. I have an entirely different attitude towards things when I'm out of the house. Much more open to other people, more interested in other peoples emotions and feelings towards me. I might even refrain from sarcasm and apathy.

ENTPS = bipolar

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

I definitely behave differently in private, than in public. For instance, I don't pee in public. But this does not mean that I have a split personality.

Can the OP elaborate more about the intended meaning?