• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTs: stop saying emotions are irrational

The Decline

(☞゚∀゚)☞
MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w4
Emotions are premises, being rational takes you to an efficient conclusion based on those premises.

Really? The last time I told a crying child that its emotions were irrational, it cried even more.

The Decline

(☞゚∀゚)☞
MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w4
No, I can't talk myself out of it! I know I'm right but it hurts, oh it hurts... :cry:

Galusha

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7?
what about emotions are irrational, exactly?

having them? because there are evolutionary reasons for that.

expressing them? built into a pack mentality.

now, to say that an emotion is reason to do something, on its own, is irrational, but not without merit in society-- therefore social instinct, the modern version of survival instinct, offers a reason to allow emotion free range.

the frustration NTs generally feel is because rationality doesn't work in controlling our emotions as well-- at least not for me. so... emotions are irrational the same way a person can be irrational: frustratingly ignorant of (or oblivious to) reason.

we have sayings to prove that this is a prevalent phenomenon. "love is blind": your lover is ugly, and you love him anyway; this is illogical, but emotions don't have to stand up to reason. everyone knows emotions CAN be irrational; that isn't to say that emotional people are too stupid to recognize logic. they just sometimes don't notice it or choose not to.

Unique

Your father needs a heart transplant

He is further down the list than others yet there is a heart available right now

You are a doctor and have the choice to give it to the person who has been waiting longer or to your father

Give it to your father = emotional choice
Give it to the person who has waited longer = rational choice

The emotional choice is not always the "wrong" choice like in this scenario but its never the "rational" choice

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
What if your father had always put a lot of pressure on you to be a musician but you became a surgeon to spite him because cutting up people had always horrified him.

Rationally speaking, you should give him the heart because he'd spend the rest of his days walking around with a beating reminder of your betrayal.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Like logic, it is a necessary part of life. You can embrace it and become a greater person, or fight it and fail to reach your individual potential.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
of course they're not irrational! my hatred is very rational and logically follows from my initial propositions!

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think that my discomfort with emotions (and emotional people) is resultant from the fact that I don't understand emotions. I don't like things I don't get, and I damn sure don't like things that seem to distract from whatever the Big Picture is. I can read people fairly well. I can pretty quickly parse out someone's motivations, and make pretty accurate predictions on how they will behave. Other people in this thread have made reference to the theoretical purposes and uses of emotions as indicated by evolutionary biology, and I can get that. But really intense emotions in other people just make me feel helpless. I don't know what to say or do...can't wrap my head around it. The point is, really, that I don't like the mess of emotions. They throw my whole thing off.

INTPatricia

MBTI Type
intj
Emotions are emotional. Thoughts are rational (or not). Each has a place. Are thoughts emotional? Are emotions rational? Your issue could be about semantics not disagreement.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
They're not. Nor is acting on them.

Discuss.

Will expand if this receives no replies.
There was someone here who said she can see the aura. I think it was an NF.
I know you can see it. Most people don't.

Many rational people scoff, and they say: It cannot be. It is squash.
Is that a rational attitude?

We are so afraid of the judgement of the others.
We live in a world of values. They are of our making.
Do not question them.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Emotions are emotional. Thoughts are rational (or not). Each has a place. Are thoughts emotional? Are emotions rational? Your issue could be about semantics not disagreement.
Interesting.

You say: Emotions are emotional.
Then you say: Thoughts are rational, or not.

Can someone balance what INTPatricia wrote? She did not even it out.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Emotions are irrational !

Doesnt even make sense -.-

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Interesting.

You say: Emotions are emotional.
Then you say: Thoughts are rational, or not.

Can someone balance what INTPatricia wrote? She did not even it out.

Emotions are irrational.

Thoughts are rational.

You can manipulate the information all you want, but those are the underlying facts.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My emotions are quite rational

I only think emotions can be rational if they can correlate with the mind. However, rational or not, like I said a hundred posts earlier, they are most neccessary.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Meaning you are one of the type who would dumb his boyfriend if someone better would come along ?

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
I only think emotions can be rational if they can correlate with the mind. However, rational or not, like I said a hundred posts earlier, they are most neccessary.
What is to mind?

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"Better" could be taken many, many ways. Explain.