• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTs: stop saying emotions are irrational

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
They're not. Nor is acting on them.

Discuss.

Will expand if this receives no replies.

Wade Wilson

MBTI Type
INTP
I don't think they're irrational. I just think they're something one keeps to themself, or only expresses in private.

juggernaut

Permabanned
Emotions, in the Humean sense, are not rational. Nevertheless they are what motivate everything we do, so the fact that they're not rational (in the philosophic sense) doesn't really matter. Reason is inert. It cannot motivate us to do anything. It only helps us figure out how to get from want to want and avoid pain.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
While emotions are not rational, they are necessary.

You have to want before you can use the reason to act accordingly.

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa
Emotions are rational!

freud.jpeg

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Emotions, in the Humean sense, are not rational. Nevertheless they are what motivate everything we do, so the fact that they're not rational (in the philosophic sense) doesn't really matter. Reason is inert. It cannot motivate us to do anything. It only helps us figure out how to get from want to want and avoid pain.

This. :yes:

Emotions give meaning to our actions, separating the important from the insignificant. Imagine not being able make a decision because we cannot recognize the worth of counting beans vs. developing a new practical skill. Keep your feelings in check and you'll be able to use it effectively. Nothing's better than a wave of inspiration right when you need it!

Little_Ancient_One

MBTI Type
INTJ

Verily, from a purely Humean standpoint. However, a Kantian perspective may suggest that reason can, in fact, be self-motivating. I, for one, believe that this is a somewhat misguided belief on the part of some Kantians, as even Kant spoke of the necessity of the emotion of "respect" to moral action. The idea is that we act "from duty" because we feel respect for the unconditional "moral law" (this respect serving as the ultimate motivation).

sonata

MBTI Type
iNtJ
While emotions are not rational, they are necessary.

QFT.

At the end of the day, for any action a person takes, you can always ask "why" and logic only goes so far. At the bottom of everything we do, there is a value, based on emotions.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
emotions make sense if you understand their evolutionary role. But they're in no case rational. It's an often inaccurate system that will for example increase your heart rate in case of stressful situations that have nothing to do with a need for the body to react quickly, like an exam. Make us afraid of the dark when we know there's absolutly no risk what so ever, make people cling to unhealthy relationships they know they should leave for their own good.

I don't say emotions are 'bad'. I just say that stating that they are rational is like comparing evolution with genetic engineering. A winning bet with a carefully planned action.
It's either stupid or comparison born in hubris. In the belief that what we are as human is so special that anything that we consider as 'animal like' is to be either elevated as sublime -love and so on- or cast down and despised -familial violence and so on-

This kind of statement tells more about kan's hierarchical anthropocentered views than about 'NTs'.
I'm perfectly fine with being a man with reason, emotions and instincts. Ideas and drives.
It's just who I am, who we are.
You either accept it or become anorexic\commit suicide or something.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes, emotions are very much necessary as a spark for any sort of decision whatsoever. When reduced as far as possible, we ultimately choose one thing over another because it feels better. But does that make emotions rational? What is rational about them?

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not irrational, subjective.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
"Backed up by logical reasoning" seems like a good definition to me.

Agree?

Suggestions?

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Are they not rational inasmuch as they are reasons? Crappy, mixed up, confusing reasons, especially if they and their relationship to other stuff is not so well understood, but reasons nonetheless. "I feel bad therefore I will snap hysterically at you and stamp my foot; and, oh, tarnation, now I feel worse, so I'm going to suppress that response and coincidentally glow bright pink for a moment; oh, wow, that really wasn't so great, so I should..." And so on. I guess.

And thinking is emotional! Hmph!

*stamps foot ftw*

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
Emotions are not irrational. It is however an inconvenience sometimes, as when i'm irritated or stressed out, i make illogical decisions which i would not have made if i was on my right mind.

Son of the Damned

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Emotion isn't rational or logical. Eck made a very important, and often ignored, point when talking about emotion. Our emotion are very much tied to physical stimuli, where an event can trigger a strong "emotional" response, which in itself is mere electro-chemical reaction.
Emotions are more biological in nature, I mean, you never really know how you'll react to something until it happens.

However, no matter the biological process, emotion has a very important role in the human mind. It give us our passion, interest, and personal flare. Why must we chain these to reason?

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
From an evolutionary perspective, they make sense as a motivating force. Aslo, they're pretty fun. They can be immensely enjoyable or horribly draining and various things in between all at once. Embrace them and enjoy the ride, imo.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Not irrational, subjective.
Agreed; I didn't like the phrasing of the original statement.

To the OP: can't account for feelings. Can account for resulting behavior.