• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] MBTI + Functions = Frustration

deepthought

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Same with me in the sense that I'm not your ordinary intp, having an ESFJ mother really overdeveloped my Si and Fe but nowhere near as strong as my Ti. This has really helped me in the world as now I have much better memory, i don't forget birthdays appointments, and important events needed to be remembered. Also my developed Fe has allowed me too be very polite and well mannered. Allowing these functions to develop this early will really help me later in life.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Same with me in the sense that I'm not your ordinary intp, having an ESFJ mother really overdeveloped my Si and Fe but nowhere near as strong as my Ti. This has really helped me in the world as now I have much better memory, i don't forget birthdays appointments, and important events needed to be remembered. Also my developed Fe has allowed me too be very polite and well mannered. Allowing these functions to develop this early will really help me later in life.
There can be an argument made as to whether our weakest function is actually Fe. MB seems to focus only on four cognitive functions. Many readers have mistaken this to be that we do not use all eight, when in fact we do. MB followers like Lenore Thomson have corrected this misinterpretation by creating a hierarchy based on MB’s theory, in that the Si and Fe are the two weakest functions for INTP types. Thus Lenore incorporates the remaining four cognitive functions between the dominant/auxiliary and tertiary/weakest functions. For INTP it would look like this: Ti-Ne-Fi-Se-Ni-Te- Si-Fe. John Beebe who is a Jungian psychologist shows a differing hierarchy. For INTP it would look like this: Ti-Ne-Si-Fe-Te-Ni-Se-Fi. So it depends on whose theory you follow Jung or Myers-Briggs, or if you follow any thought at all.

Some believe that once you pass the dominant auxiliary functions, it’s a free-for-all on how the remaining cognitive functions are used. Thus this validates the cognitive functions test. I disagree with this for the reasons that that I have conveyed in the past. To maintain balance it’s necessary to use both judging and perceiving functions in some sequence. Going back to the INTP example, this type will generally have a sequential order of T-N-S-F. It does not mean they have to work in that exact order all of the time, but they are balanced. Thus as I have always said about the cognitive tests, the results are not how they sequence for you constantly, but merely which functions your current circumstances are calling for you to use. You give a prime example Deepthroat in that you had to develop your Si and Fe because circumstances called for it. I would think that if those two functions were almost impossible to develop or if they were so out of character for you, then you would not have taken the time to develop them. Compare Si-Fe to Se-Fi. Would you take the time to develop your introverted feeling and would you find it necessary to seek different experiences?

bcvcdc

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTx
Which function is being used when an INTP thinks for a long time about something tangible (say a bat flying about the upstairs closet) and then an ESFP opens the closet and the actual bat flys out? I mean, I'm having quite a bit of difficulty discerning whether or not INTP's are affecting reality. Like, did the bat manifest because we thought of it or do we somehow "know" what will happen in the future? If you have any thoughts about this, I would really be interested.

Llewellyn

MBTI Type
INtj
Enneagram
9w1
Same with me in the sense that I'm not your ordinary intp, having an ESFJ mother really overdeveloped my Si and Fe but nowhere near as strong as my Ti. This has really helped me in the world as now I have much better memory, i don't forget birthdays appointments, and important events needed to be remembered.
I can see what you mean. I even have two dominant Si parents. I rarely forget an appointment too (I even take that as normal); although I wonder if it truly comes naturally. Despite this in my lately tested cognitive function order, Si ranks pretty low.

[Taken from keirsey.com]
Blessed with vivid imaginations, Counselors are often seen as the most poetical of all the types, and in fact they use a lot of poetic imagery in their everyday language.
I'm thinking I use Ni for poetry too. Also when alone in a beautiful wood I can feel fairytale-like at home, another sign of Ni (I suppose). So, probably indeed not uncommon for an INTP, except it is (positively) exceptional for Engler to have it his dominant/preferred. I think it's a good function to develop.

1) Without attempting to delve into functions, I identify fairly well with the INTP personality type. I enjoy theorizing, and I tend to keep to myself. I am independent, skeptical, and fascinated by science.
This could be INFJ as well.

3) Furthermore, my introverted feeling is also very developed, despite the fact that I have a strong thinking preference.
This would theoretically point to INTJ.

In any event, I am clearly not an INTJ (my Pness is colossal).
That would not point to INTJ.

And so, my question is this: Is there any reason to doubt my INTPness, or is it simply an unusual, but insignificant, personal characteristic?
A reason to doubt is enough for an INTP, right? ;) No, in honesty I think nothing here would disprove your INTP-ness.