User Tag List

123 Last

Default ENTP intensity and procastination

Sometimes, I wonder what reinforces my procastinating ways, and, although I know that it's because I haven't (yet) faced dire consequences for my procastination (seen bad, but, always could've been worse before I weasled out).

And, I had a conversation with my mom over the weekend, and she said, about me, "The results of your work, when you finally decide to jump into it, is very thorough, and always complete. Only problem, nobody knows when you will jump in. Your dad can be telling you for weeks to help him set up the new TV, and grumble that you seem to find time for going out with friends, etc., but not to help him. But, when you finally do, whenever that is, the job is done, without needing follow-up, and at lightening speed. Interesting quirk you have, and I see this in pretty much every task you do."

And, I've realized that my procastinating ways are reinforced because the byproduct of it is, default intensity, which is a must for me to tackle something. If I wait until the 11th hour to do something, the urgency of the task gets amphed, and, as such, I can finally dive into it full force. Otherwise, I can barely muster up interest in a task. The same, sadly, with school work. I need it to be a challenge, and, obviously the content of the work doesn't change, so, that added dimension of challenge, I create by skewing the odds (subconsciously?) AGAINST my favour (like leaving it until the end). Which ups the intensity.

If this is true, how do I get around overcoming my procastination if my main thirst is intensity? Can anyone else relate? ENTPs? Other Ps?

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Oh goodness Q, if I had a helpful answer for you, I'd even procrastinate in giving it to you.

I procrastinate for 2 reasons:
    - the task just does not interest me and I don't want to do it and I then make said task interesting by creating a challenge to overcome (an impossible deadline that would cripple others). Then I get to pat myself on the back for how bad ass I am to have accomplished all that, so perfectly, in such a small amount of time.
    - I get distracted by other things and I simply forget because the task was not interesting. See above.

All around: I suck. (but I still get the job done and am so bad ass for accomplishing it, so perfectly, in such a small amount of time).

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Amen sister!

If it's not challenging or fun for me then I find any reason I can to distract myself. Nothing is harder for me to do then sit down with an assignment in front of me that I need to do but am not interested in, 2 minutes in or less my mind has totally left me on my own and I don't stand a chance. The only solution for uninteresting work is a tough time schedule and knowledge that I have to do it. Urgency adds an element of challenge, the tighter and more important the deadline the more productive I am. I always kicked ass in school exams, essays given as homework however were done last minute (lesson or break before the class they were due in).

Every one of my school reports from pretty much all of my teachers said something along the lines of "Trina has great potential if only she'd use it", I seriously thought that was something all teachers wrote about all students, as in it was a form of padding they could use on any report to make the parents think they took it seriously, upon reflection it probably wasnt

MBTI
    infp

As a fellow P I feel your pain, I also can not motivate myself to complete a task without an insane deadline to meet because of how long I procrastinated for.

I have no solutions, I think the only way it gets changed is by forcing yourself daily to act in a way that isn't you, until it becomes you and even then you would burn out, I know I do anyway.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    INTp

I am the same way. I do not see it as a problem for myself, just how I am, but I know it is really not fair to force others to work the way I do...most people just can't operate 'under fire' and/or are incapable of the focus needed to get it done, and done right in a short amount of time.
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Bellas, should we have a celebratory shindig or a therapy session for this condition?

I think it's cuz we know we work best at improvising, and time is a great mediator of need for improvisation...so, we create our work to become an improvisation, even when it could have very well been done through taking time and careful planning.

And, I agree, the distraction is a bitch, especially since I know I'm silently challenging the task to be interesting enough to NOT need me to be distracted....and, it only gets there, when it becomes a 'can't be done' challenge, like leaving it until the last minute. Vicious circle.

Is this essentially a fight against nature? A failing battle? There must be some hope?

Trin, my dad repeatedly tells me that I piss on my potential.
    I usually reply, At least I never miss.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

My solution is to get people around me to take care of the things that I know I don't want to do and would bug me knowing they have to be done but yet still can't bring myself to do them, Id rather pay someone then have it not done and drive me crazy. With study I find institutes that offer subjects in a way that complements my cruddy study style.

When I get particularly bad writing lists can work for a few days till I lose interest in or lose the list.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Yes, I am much better at improvising than I am at planning.

And lol about the "potential" comments, I've heard that so many times in my life that I thought everybody said that about everybody else. It's a sobering thought to realize that they were all really speaking about me specifically.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

As a J, you'd think I wouldn't procrastinate but I'm really good at it.

For me, starting is the hardest part. Either because I don't know where to begin or because I get so caught up in wanting to know how it's all going to go down (all the details) that I falter at taking a first step.

This is true for me with chores around the house, projects at work, and in relationships as well.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    My solution is to get people around me to take care of the things that I know I don't want to do and would bug me knowing they have to be done but yet still can't bring myself to do them, Id rather pay someone then have it not done and drive me crazy. With study I find institutes that offer subjects in a way that complements my cruddy study style.

When I get particularly bad writing lists can work for a few days till I lose interest in or lose the list.
    +1.
    I outsource all unpleasant tasks - clothes shopping, grocery shopping, cleaning, laundry, bill paying, etc... Of course, I do these tasks sometimes, but as a whole, I have no patience or desire. Which means, it will never get done.