• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Observation Statement: NTs seem to be hard to please.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I don't know. When it comes to entertainment, it's very difficult to impress me, but sometimes the stupidest thing happens and I am intensely amused.

I mean, it's difficult for a movie to get to me, but I derive hours of entertainment at baseball games by laughing at the player's expressions on the jumbotron.

Misty_Mountain_Rose

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
I have similar experiences, but with humor. And not just with NTs, with everyone.

I appreciate wit, but what really makes me laugh are funny facial expressions and funny words. So people say I laugh easily and at stupid things.

But I don't care, because I like to laugh.

So basically, if you get excited and they don't care....well, that's their loss, because you're excited and they're not.

I think it might happen with NT's more because we like to think of ourselves as "intellectuals," so anything that isn't "intellectual" isn't worth getting excited over.

Pffffft. Laughter is what it's all about. Carry on. You have my seal of approval.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
I seem to get this from a lot of NT people I know. Where I can be excited about something for one reason, they get irritated at something for one reason. If they've seen it before, even if it's in a different form, they find it very boring. They pass it off as some sort of "generic plot with x blah blah" as if it was an experiment...

Maybe they see the world as an experiment? INTJs and ENTPs I know seem to be that way.

Discuss?

-maybe because its not as much as a surprise to them as it is to you
-been there, done that kinda thing
-you got too 'WOOOO'y for them...they dont see the reason for THAT much excitement...they are already breaking the cause apart and trying to figure it out in their heads
-they had high expectations in their heads that were not met
-they were too amused to watch you jump up and down...but then you start screaming right in their ears and they got a lil annoyed
-they are just being jackasses...assholes eh...damn them NTs

i found it very interesting that you specifically pointed to the INTJ and ENTP. i find that there are waaaay too many similarities between these two except the introversion and cold logical processing VS the swag that puts lil wayne to shame and the metaphors that turn a barren desert into the most romantic place on earth

I have noticed that people frequently get a sense of validation from the ability to entertain me. If I were pleased more easily, they wouldn't get that.

So isn't this a good thing?

yeah, i get that too...there are a few friends that will crack jokes and then look at me with expectant eyes. at first i was weirded out...but then it seemed like a compliment and something i could use to my advantage if i really really wanted to :devil:

Misty_Mountain_Rose

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
NT's want what everyone else wants. They're just more apt to convince themselves that they dont.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I really don't want to watch American Idol. I'm sorry.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
I seem to get this from a lot of NT people I know. Where I can be excited about something for one reason, they get irritated at something for one reason. If they've seen it before, even if it's in a different form, they find it very boring. They pass it off as some sort of "generic plot with x blah blah" as if it was an experiment...

Maybe they see the world as an experiment? INTJs and ENTPs I know seem to be that way.

Discuss?

Tell that striaght to his face. ENTPs aren't hard to please from my experience. They have a large toleration for people with below average intelligence, unlike the other more bigoted NTs.

They will respect you if you stand up to them.

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
I only really am excited by concepts; implications, ramifications. Many other people seem excited by facts; by things.

That is to say, if a movie has a certain actor in it, then it's great because it has that actor in it. If a picture has a monkey in it, it's hilarious because monkeys are funny. People who don't know me all that well often don't understand why I'd shrug off, say, a generic first-person shooter. I like videogames, don't I? (Not really, but...) It's a videogame! Why aren't I excited?!

Meaning isn't inherent. Meaning comes from context. If you put a pig on a picnic table, the situation isn't interesting because there's a pig, or because there's a picnic table. It's because the relationship between pig and picnic table is somehow unusual or illustrative.

Though even that isn't particularly meaningful; put together, it's just another fact. Okay, there's a pig on a picnic table. I guess you've got my attention. So where are we going with this?

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
It's more like, where I can get excited, they've seen something related to it and are already bored.

Ah, in that case I think I understand. Like when my friends excitedly show me some YouTube video that they thought was hilarious, and I think it's formulaic and lacks wit, they get upset with me and call me "snooty" or "buzzkill." Now, I like to laugh with the best of them, but not funny is just not funny.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I only really am excited by concepts; implications, ramifications. Many other people seem excited by facts; by things.

That is to say, if a movie has a certain actor in it, then it's great because it has that actor in it. If a picture has a monkey in it, it's hilarious because monkeys are funny. People who don't know me all that well often don't understand why I'd shrug off, say, a generic first-person shooter. I like videogames, don't I? (Not really, but...) It's a videogame! Why aren't I excited?!

Meaning isn't inherent. Meaning comes from context. If you put a pig on a picnic table, the situation isn't interesting because there's a pig, or because there's a picnic table. It's because the relationship between pig and picnic table is somehow unusual or illustrative.

Though even that isn't particularly meaningful; put together, it's just another fact. Okay, there's a pig on a picnic table. I guess you've got my attention. So where are we going with this?

Very well-stated! And nothing frustrates me more than when I think someone's going to do something unusual or illustrative, and they just drop the ball and go for the obvious joke. Nothing worse than the failed potential to be better.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Very well-stated! And nothing frustrates me more than when I think someone's going to do something unusual or illustrative, and they just drop the ball and go for the obvious joke. Nothing worse than the failed potential to be better.

*cough*...Family Guy...*cough*

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Yeah, that's what I was thinking when I reread my post.

That's pretty much Family Guy's idea of humor: "HEY, [x] EXISTS!"

... Yes, it does. Your point?

I guess a way to put it is that I'm rarely impressed by the existence of things. What may impress me is the operation of things.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
*cough*...Family Guy...*cough*

Yeah, that's what I was thinking when I reread my post.

That's pretty much Family Guy's idea of humor: "HEY, [x] EXISTS!"

... Yes, it does. Your point?

I guess a way to put it is that I'm rarely impressed by the existence of things. What may impress me is the operation of things.

I want to kiss you both on the mouth right now.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Who knew hating Family Guy could bring so many together? And so intimately!