• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Observation Statement: NTs seem to be hard to please.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What is important to me is to be able to make distinctions about levels of quality, but to also have enough flexibility to change gears and appreciate something for what it is, rather than for what it is not. This maximizes enjoyment. The danger of being easily pleased is that you don't have those rare moments when you can recognize something remarkable. The problem with being too discriminating is that you can only enjoy those few things of great skill. My range is not as great as some people, but I work towards being able to appreciate a great work of art in film and something mindless and actually pretty stupid, but still fun.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
What is important to me is to be able to make distinctions about levels of quality, but to also have enough flexibility to change gears and appreciate something for what it is, rather than for what it is not. This maximizes enjoyment. The danger of being easily pleased is that you don't have those rare moments when you can recognize something remarkable. The problem with being too discriminating is that you can only enjoy those few things of great skill. My range is not as great as some people, but I work towards being able to appreciate a great work of art in film and something mindless and actually pretty stupid, but still fun.

I love it. Not quite like the speech I want to hear when I am lonely, but I love it.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
My range is not as great as some people, but I work towards being able to appreciate a great work of art in film and something mindless and actually pretty stupid, but still fun.

that sounds healthy but...isnt that appearing to be happy but not being happy? appreciating only for the sake of appreciation and thus, only for the benefit of others.

dont you find that draining?

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
that sounds healthy but...isnt that appearing to be happy but not being happy? appreciating only for the sake of appreciation and thus, only for the benefit of others.

dont you find that draining?
That would be draining and not what I meant. Even if a person loves fine French cuisine, they can't fully enjoy a hotdog unless they let go of a particular set of standards and assumptions associated with the French food. If the person stays fixated on the standards of fine cuisine, they will overlook whatever good is in the hotdog and experience it as a void - as what it isn't rather than what it is.

It's more like enjoying something for its own attributes and not for how it measures up to an internally structured standard. It's about inclusion rather than dismissal. This is not about pleasing someone else, but optimizing the personal experience of pleasure.

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
It does help to have a flexible frame of reference, yes. Everything is relative.

Lucifer

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I find that I only laugh at something that is very intelligent, or very random.
Anything in-between I find very predictable and boring because of how great of a knowledge of humour I have.
Family Guy anecdotes and Robot Chicken episodes I find very amusing because it is unpredictable.
I detect flaws in the realism of media very easily, and point it out much to the dismay of those around who don't noticed and enjoyed the movie.
Example: Me and a friend were arguing about a movie we had both seen.
I have much distaste for this movie, and my friend loved it.
So we decided to sit down and watch this movie together.
After me pointing out all the flaws I found in the movie their perspective changed to one of distaste as well.

NT's generally like to see more and to think more, and the same thing over and over regurgitated is a waste of our abilities.

Son of the Damned

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
There is only one thing that fails to satisfy me, and that repetition. I hate, hate, hate, loath, despise, and HATE it. It is a rare occasion where something can make me laugh after initial awareness. Lucky for me, my friends and close associates have learned this. Other than hatred of sameness, I'm actually quite easy to please.

Galusha

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7?
yeah, it's not about us being difficult to please. it's about so few people being up to the challenge. if you can get it right, it's actually absurdly easy.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
When people get hurt...I am pleased. :sorry:
I can't help it. It's just funny.

OrionzRevenge

MBTI Type
INTP
I seem to get this from a lot of NT people I know. Where I can be excited about something for one reason, they get irritated at something for one reason. If they've seen it before, even if it's in a different form, they find it very boring. They pass it off as some sort of "generic plot with x blah blah" as if it was an experiment...

I'm new here Sky, and this may be old cabbage for you. If so, just nod and smile at the silly man.
As an INTP, I need HUGE gobes of Ti time. INTPs are often quite and withdrawn, even with company... a million light-years distant in their thoughts. If they feel they are not getting enough recharge, they will use whatever means seems to work to discourage too many interruptions. Personal growth to be aware and unselfish enough to be a bit Ti deprived is hard for the INTP. I wrecked a good relationship on account of this myopia.