User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Aderack View Post
    Was that the one with Orson Welles' company? (Welles himself being played rather strangely?)
    That sounds right. I suppose I'll have to stop being lazy and look it up. It had a bunch of stars in it, seems like, though it wasn't mainstream.

Update: Can't seem to locate it on imdb. I have no idea what it's called. I thought I remembered Tim Robbins, but maybe not.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

I did not enjoy Airplane! I found it to be corny and cheesy. The only good part was when they had the little old white lady talkin' jive. xD
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    That sounds right. I suppose I'll have to stop being lazy and look it up. It had a bunch of stars in it, seems like, though it wasn't mainstream.

Update: Can't seem to locate it on imdb. I have no idea what it's called. I thought I remembered Tim Robbins, but maybe not.
    Found it. "Cradle Will Rock."

Cradle Will Rock (1999)
    Something Witty

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Whenever someone tells me they have something interesting/cool/funny/awesome to show me, I start rooting for them right away in my mind, but I can't fake interest if it turns out to be non-stimulating. Other people's excitement can rub off on me sometimes, but there needs to be something else there.

MBTI
    ENTP

life and the world is an experiment anyway. none of us really know what we're doing, we're all just going by what we know, doing what seems the best idea at the time, and hoping it works out.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

Senior Member Misty_Mountain_Rose's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Well, in the case of the repetitive mass media, it's because most of it is designed to be consumed by a medium-intelligence Sensing-preference audience. That's just smart marketing.

(Note that I didn't say Sensing is unintelligent; just that the majority of people are Sensing and aiming for a median intelligence level is obviously going to reach the most people.)

So for John Q. Public, just changing the details is enough to make the experience compelling again, even if it's really the same story over and over.

NTs are especially prone to noticing conceptual similarities between things, so we're hard to please because we have to see something truly original in art to really give it much respect (usually.) Of course different people define originality in different ways, but if we see too many conceptual similarities between different pieces of art, we start to feel we've been gipped because there's really nothing new here but a bunch of meaningless sensory data.
    I think this assessment is spot on. I was completely turned off to Stephen King many years ago because the first thing I picked up by him to read was a collection of short stories... and the first one I read was a rip off of The Cask of Amontillado. Immediately he became a 'poser' in my mind who couldn't think up anything original and I quit reading his stuff and never touched it again.

Recycling ideas is just bad art and laziness on the part of the artist. The millions and millions of re-dos for Romeo and Juliet make me nauseated, but I could read the original a hundred times over.

It takes something I've truly never thought of before or seen before to make me truly impressed.
    Embrace the possibilities.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

I think a lot of this is INTP's desire to play devil's advocate and the fact we almost instinctively want to resist fads, trends and general opinions. So when you're super happy about something I bet that INTP is "testing" your enthusiasm before he or she can join you in it. Sounds bizarre but it's almost a subconscious thing. It works the other way too.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    I think a lot of this is INTP's desire to play devil's advocate and the fact we almost instinctively want to resist fads, trends and general opinions. So when you're super happy about something I bet that INTP is "testing" your enthusiasm before he or she can join you in it. Sounds bizarre but it's almost a subconscious thing. It works the other way too.
    This is true. Especially if it's more than just one person who is promoting the idea/trend/thing. But if I really get surprised and my Ti doesn't find any errors or contradictions in it after a quick analysis, I don't have a problem with going along with it.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    This is true. Especially if it's more than just one person who is promoting the idea/trend/thing. But if I really get surprised and my Ti doesn't find any errors or contradictions in it after a quick analysis, I don't have a problem with going along with it.
    Absolutely. This is a lot of the reason why I end up liking something waaaay after it was popular. I have to evaluate it away from the hype and see how I really feel about it. I can't like it just because everyone else does. Of course, I sometimes take this too far and hate something just because it's overhyped, regardless of how good it is.
    Something Witty

videodrones; questions Verfremdungseffekt's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Eh?

Here's a bit of a journal post from about a month ago:

I've mostly avoided Nirvana, out of that associative thing. It was never "my" music; it always belonged to people I didn't like. Or if I did like them, they clung to it too tightly. So I didn't really have a part in that relationship.

What makes it a little stranger is I think they were the first contemporary pop act I was made aware of. That was 1993-1994, my sophomore year of high school. I listened to a couple of songs off of In Utero, and thought, well, this is different. Although the origin of this awareness was a couple of jerk-offs who I wouldn't trust alone with a cat and a can of lighter fluid, I was willing to accept their own interest as coincidence. Then, of course, the moment I began to pay attention, Kurt went and killed himself. All the noise and deification caused me to shrug and walk away.

Years later, when I was trying in earnest to figure out this music thing, I picked up Muddy Banks of the Wishkah -- there was a little hype around its release, and I figured I'd give the band another shot. And... er. It sounded like it was recorded from within a cardboard box placed outside the security doors of the theater in which the band was playing. And it wasn't exactly the most rounded selection of material. And it was overlong. Again, I could tell there was something there, but. Well, whatever.

Later, my partner had one of those creepy fetishistic things for Kurt Cobain. As people do. Which again made me keep the band at arm's distance.

Now, here we are. The last ten months I've been trying hard to become myself; to break all these ties and expectations. Make my own context.

So. Six albums, I guess, are the "canon": the three real albums, Incesticide, and the live ones. I'm starting with Mtv Unplugged, because I'm not in the mood for heavy guitars right now.

And yeah. This is legitimate.

I kind of feel like I'm claiming something that was cheated from me. Like I'm filling in a blank in my life.

So yes. If I like something, I absolutely have to like it on my own terms.