• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Do you hate homeless people?

Do you hate homeless people

• Yes, I despise them

Votes: 10 13.5%
  • No, I think they deserve empathy

Votes: 64 86.5%

• Total voters

Oom

Your time is gonna come.
MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w4
You guys took this personally in the first couple of pages didn't you?

I don't hate homeless people, my two best friends from grade school are now homeless. They just hit up different houses to sleep at. Of course I don't live anywhere near a big city, so it's a slightly different story for homeless kids out in the midwest. There are some very kind people that will take in others like family.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
I don't think there is any shame living below the poverty line.

People are sleeping in the streets because they not part of the circulation of money.
In a sense, its the economies fault.

Yet at the same time, we have capitalists who knows how money circulates in society, and sitting their ass off and get paid without work.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
What a bizarre topic.

Not at all. If you feel sad for homeless people, you could eventually come to the position in which you hate them, cause you have to feel sad for them all the time and you hate feeling sad.

My dad kept spending 10 euro to a guy who drunk himself to death. That's a reason to hate something / someone in my opinion.

Frank

Hate the dirty bastards. Every one of em. We should find a way to use them as fuel when oil gets low.

Wade Wilson

MBTI Type
INTP
Not at all. If you feel sad for homeless people, you could eventually come to the position in which you hate them, cause you have to feel sad for them all the time and you hate feeling sad.

My dad kept spending 10 euro to a guy who drunk himself to death. That's a reason to hate something / someone in my opinion.

Unless that's the plan... /strokes chin evilly

I mean, sure you could just bludgeon the bum to death in the middle of the night but sometimes a long, slow death is much more satisfying.

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
When I lived in SF I remember some legless bum on a wooden board on wheels chasing after some guy screaming 'cos he wouldn't give him money. o_O
Oh, I think I've seen that guy. Can't be too many of 'em!

In Tokyo, they all sort of cower in shame in corners of certain parks, and never talk to anyone ever. It's a bit sad.

The reason I say the topic is bizarre is that it asks the question in such a black-and-white manner.

Wade Wilson

MBTI Type
INTP
Oh, I think I've seen that guy. Can't be too many of 'em!

In Tokyo, they all sort of cower in shame in corners of certain parks, and never talk to anyone ever. It's a bit sad.

See I'd give them money on principle.

I always had this fantasy about taking in a bum and cleaning him up and turning him into a socialite.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Heart wrote a very good post, again.
She has a rare gift. She knows what is what.

There exists two kinds of successful people: The respectable and the not so respectable.
I respect more the not so respectable. Only they are into fair play.

The respectable people worry a lot. They worry about their money.
They worry even more about their esteem.

It is a question of values.
A measure is about value.

What is the measure of respectability?

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I was homeless once for 2 weeks and someone lent me and bf a van to sleep in. I was also heavily pregnant. I had never been so hungry in all my life.
Not good.

So if i do see someone homeless i will give them some change.
There was some bloke that was always sitting in the same place on my way to work most days. One day i went to a shop and brought him a cup of tea and a bacon roll. He really appreciated it.

Saying that though, i am weary of some people. A friends older brother used to go into town and pan handle. He was a student. That's just wrong.

Eiddy

Pronounced eye-ee-dee
MBTI Type
DEAD
Enneagram
1w2
Well when a person cripples themselves to turn to begging, as it is often done here in Egypt, I won't give them money.

But if a person is in need and we all have hit very low points in life. I know I have and I know the feeling of endless walking down a street, with no home, no couch, and no place to turn to. I would feel honored to help.

There is a big difference, one who does it earn a living (begging) or one who somehow found themselves in a rough spot.

Sas, I was pregnant too. My husband was deported, and I was staying with my mom and brother. I let go of our house, since I was planning on coming to Egypt. My mom, brother and I had a big fight; I had enough of their bickering. I thought anywhere is better than being with them. So I was also homeless, I think it was around a week before I went back to my mom's place to gather things for the move..

We should only look down on another when we are helping them up. If there is no helping them up and they wish to be where they are. Then they are free to live the life they so choose, unless they are mentally ill. In that case family, society, governments, charities, or non profit organizations should help them.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
There are studies that report something like 90% of homeless people as having had psychiatric hospitalization, with 40% being schizophrenic. So there is a lot more keeping them from getting jobs than just poor hygiene. Not even the most diabolical hater can hate on that.

Well Stocked

MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w6
I don't hate homeless people, and I honestly can't imagine hating anyone who hadn't wronged me in some way or another.

I will usually give homeless people who ask a dollar or two, as long as they don't try to feed me some bullshit story. "Give me a dollar so I can buy a beer!" works surprisingly well on me.

That said, there's nothing wrong with refusing to give money to the homeless, as long as you're not rude about it (obviously excepting people who won't take no for an answer.)

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Stolen from INTP central.

Ironically, you didn't include the option I felt like choosing, and one I think many INTPs would have appreciated having:

"I'm indifferent to homeless people. They're just an extreme example of people struggling in-between jobs."

:)

But fine... I don't despise them, so I guess I'm forced to be sympathetic in your schema.

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
I don't hate them at all, but I also don't give them money and dislike it when they come up to you and try to play your friend and assume that they should get something for it. I often end up being the jerk for not giving them anything when they impose themselves on you like that. I don't enjoy attempts at manipulation.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Damn, maybe I should have read up a bit before I slung them a handful of hate... I did what Eck did :doh:

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I can't choose either option. I have no way of knowing why someone is on the street, and therefore no way of knowing whether or not I'm sympathetic. In general, I don't give money to aggressive or manipulative panhandlers, or to those with obvious substance abuse problems (I will offer to buy them a sandwich tho), but I'll often give money to homeless people with a disability, a dog, or who are simply old. The latter criteria get my sympathy glands working.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
Weird thread. Why would someone hate people just for being homeless? :huh:
I only have a problem with those bums (not a synonym) who are obnoxious and harass people. I doubt I'd appreciate such people if they had homes.
I do dislike panhandlers on the trains and the people who enable them.