10 12.99%
  • No, I think they deserve empathy

67 87.01%
First 45678 Last

MBTI
    DEAD
    Enneagram
    1w2

Well when a person cripples themselves to turn to begging, as it is often done here in Egypt, I won't give them money.

But if a person is in need and we all have hit very low points in life. I know I have and I know the feeling of endless walking down a street, with no home, no couch, and no place to turn to. I would feel honored to help.

There is a big difference, one who does it earn a living (begging) or one who somehow found themselves in a rough spot.

Sas, I was pregnant too. My husband was deported, and I was staying with my mom and brother. I let go of our house, since I was planning on coming to Egypt. My mom, brother and I had a big fight; I had enough of their bickering. I thought anywhere is better than being with them. So I was also homeless, I think it was around a week before I went back to my mom's place to gather things for the move..

We should only look down on another when we are helping them up. If there is no helping them up and they wish to be where they are. Then they are free to live the life they so choose, unless they are mentally ill. In that case family, society, governments, charities, or non profit organizations should help them.
    Johari / Nohari

Enneagram 1w2/Lifepath 1/first zodiac sign Aries/first Chinese zodiac sign RAT/first born in my siblings of 3. Did I forget to mention first?

Independent Director

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

There are studies that report something like 90% of homeless people as having had psychiatric hospitalization, with 40% being schizophrenic. So there is a lot more keeping them from getting jobs than just poor hygiene. Not even the most diabolical hater can hate on that.

MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    INTj

I don't hate homeless people, and I honestly can't imagine hating anyone who hadn't wronged me in some way or another.

I will usually give homeless people who ask a dollar or two, as long as they don't try to feed me some bullshit story. "Give me a dollar so I can buy a beer!" works surprisingly well on me.

That said, there's nothing wrong with refusing to give money to the homeless, as long as you're not rude about it (obviously excepting people who won't take no for an answer.)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by cloud View Post
    Stolen from INTP central.
    Ironically, you didn't include the option I felt like choosing, and one I think many INTPs would have appreciated having:

"I'm indifferent to homeless people. They're just an extreme example of people struggling in-between jobs."

But fine... I don't despise them, so I guess I'm forced to be sympathetic in your schema.

MBTI
    nnnn

I don't hate them at all, but I also don't give them money and dislike it when they come up to you and try to play your friend and assume that they should get something for it. I often end up being the jerk for not giving them anything when they impose themselves on you like that. I don't enjoy attempts at manipulation.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

Damn, maybe I should have read up a bit before I slung them a handful of hate... I did what Eck did
    5 3 9

MBTI
    ENTJ

I can't choose either option. I have no way of knowing why someone is on the street, and therefore no way of knowing whether or not I'm sympathetic. In general, I don't give money to aggressive or manipulative panhandlers, or to those with obvious substance abuse problems (I will offer to buy them a sandwich tho), but I'll often give money to homeless people with a disability, a dog, or who are simply old. The latter criteria get my sympathy glands working.
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

MBTI
    intp

Weird thread. Why would someone hate people just for being homeless?
    I only have a problem with those bums (not a synonym) who are obnoxious and harass people. I doubt I'd appreciate such people if they had homes.
    I do dislike panhandlers on the trains and the people who enable them.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Generally indifferent. I typically just ignore them.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTP

yes but not more than i hate home-people.