Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I despise them

10 12.99%
  • No, I think they deserve empathy

67 87.01%
First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    I don't want to kill the messenger and assume because you started the topic, you hate homeless people. But I do wonder if you thought this topic was worth replicating, that you don't disagree with it. So I'll ask first: Do you hate homeless people, cloud?
    No I don't , but I am wondering why some people do.

After all if you are going to a foreign country with no money, or you lost your job and can't pay your mortgage, you are homeless. Maybe it is bourgeoise elitism.
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

"In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by ergophobe View Post
    This is quite offensive. If you're asking for opinions on the problem then there should be more options in the poll. I can't empathize with someone whose situation I have never been in. I really can't imagine walking in their shoes. Research shows that in this country mental illness is related to homelessness so even more, I can't empathize.
    I lived in the greater Washington D.C. area for 8 years. The original mass creation of the homeless population in downtown D.C. was caused by the de-institutionalization of St. Elizabeth's mental hospital. If you were insane, but not dangerous, you were set free...to where? No family has seen you for many, many years, the street is all you have got. You can't get welfare or other public benefits without a mailing address and ID card, so its a really difficult hurdle to overcome.

Ironically enough, now part of the "great" U.S. stimulus package is to renovate the aged and decrepid St. Elizabeth's campus to its former "glory", and it shall be the headquarters of the UD Dept. of Homeland (In)Security. Janet Napolitano was tickled pink talking about it on TV a few weeks ago. It is supposed to be a campus comparable to the Pentagon in size. I think the renovation estimate was about $700,000,000; which of course is low balled and will be double that upon final delivery due to scope creep and change orders. Go project management!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by cloud View Post
    No I don't , but I am wondering why some people do.

After all if you are going to a foreign country with no money, or you lost your job and can't pay your mortgage, you are homeless. Maybe it is bourgeoise elitism.

Well obviously no man in his right mind would hate homeless people, so I assumed you were talking about bums or something.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    Well obviously no man in his right mind would hate homeless people, so I assumed you were talking about bums or something.
    Whats the difference?

Bums and homeless people both live in the streets.
    I think I am proud to say that most homeless people are Ps. Because they don't give a damn about capitalist values in our society.

I recommend reading the book: Mao Zedong and I were beggers

Its a story of how two intellectuals pretend to be bums, beg for money, so they can see how society treat these people. And one of them turn out to be a future dictator.
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

"In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    I lived in the greater Washington D.C. area for 8 years. The original mass creation of the homeless population in downtown D.C. was caused by the de-institutionalization of St. Elizabeth's mental hospital. If you were insane, but not dangerous, you were set free...to where? No family has seen you for many, many years, the street is all you have got. You can't get welfare or other public benefits without a mailing address and ID card, so its a really difficult hurdle to overcome.

Ironically enough, now part of the "great" U.S. stimulus package is to renovate the aged and decrepid St. Elizabeth's campus to its former "glory", and it shall be the headquarters of the UD Dept. of Homeland (In)Security. Janet Napolitano was tickled pink talking about it on TV a few weeks ago. It is supposed to be a campus comparable to the Pentagon in size. I think the renovation estimate was about $700,000,000; which of course is low balled and will be double that upon final delivery due to scope creep and change orders. Go project management!
    I'm from DC and St. Elizabeth's is less than 10 minutes away from me. Even though I've grown up seeing homeless people it's never crossed my mind to hate them. Anyone who hates the homeless...wow, I don't know what to say to that. Indifference to the homeless I can understand, but active hate? At the most I'm annoyed if they're aggressively panhandling but most of them don't do that. Most homeless people have undiagnosed and/or untreated severe mental health problems and like ergophobe said what homeless is, what poor is has changed especially in light of the current recession.

Hehe, and you said scope creep!
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by cloud View Post
    Whats the difference?

Bums and homeless people both live in the streets.
    I think I am proud to say that most homeless people are Ps. Because they don't give a damn about capitalist values in our society.

I recommend reading the book: Mao Zedong and I were beggers

Its a story of how two intellectuals pretend to be bums, beg for money, so they can see how society treat these people. And one of them turn out to be a future dictator.
    What the fuck man? Grow the fuck up. To a certain degree, I wish YOU become homeless just so you'd have the experience. Many, many people have been completely FUCKED by medical expenses, credit cards, you-name-it, and have gone into bankruptcy, losing their homes.

Is it right to hate a man for failing to provide for his ailing wife since he can't cover the astronomical amount of her hospital bills? Is it right to hate the person who suddenly lost their job and only form of support? I don't know about you, but I don't want to live in the kind of world where it is.
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

heart on fire

Some people hate homeless because seeing them reminds them of how vulnerable we are in this society and they hate the fear that brings up so it feels better to direct hate towards the homeless. The hate helps keep up the facade that it is possible to always be healthy and in control of one's life. If you need to feel that all that is required is will power to never be in a powerless or vulnerable position, then you need to demonize those who you see in a powerless position. They must not have tried hard enough, they must be losers, they must be lazy, etc. But without the whole facts no one can know why they are homeless or what their lives were like before they found themselves powerless in this society.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Then, could I not argue that they hate vulnerability and are projecting their hatred on an image which just reminds them of it?

EDIT: This entire topic/logical fallacy can be made up by an analogy like this:
    There is a small group of people who are black. They also happen to be eating watermelons. All black people eat watermelons.
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Blank View Post
    Then, could I not argue that they hate vulnerability and are projecting their hatred on an image which just reminds them of it?
    Isn't that basically what I just said?

Some people do the samething with the chronically ill and the disabled.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Blank View Post

Is it right to hate a man for failing to provide for his ailing wife since he can't cover the astronomical amount of her hospital bills? Is it right to hate the person who suddenly lost their job and only form of support? I don't know about you, but I don't want to live in the kind of world where it is.
    Amen.