• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] ENTPs and debating with SOs

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Quite often, I find ENTPs think they have ripped an argument to shreds when in reality they are just putting their argument across louder than their opponent.
Often, it's when we're still in the middle of the debate.

Just like winning a debate does not make you right, it just makes you a good debater, saying you've ripped an argument apart doesn't necessarily mean you did.

Also, ENTPs don't shy away from using tactics that may be perceived as a personal attack by NFs, hence the misconception on both sides?

I think I may have digressed too much when the question really was about being able to debate with an SO. Perhaps we would make good SOs. Let's kiss and make up. Maybe just kiss? :smile:

Love you, ergo, but this is a classic example. Even a passive joke demands to be addressed. Friends only - but love you all the same...

ergophobe

Allergic to Mornings
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Love you, ergo, but this is a classic example. Even a passive joke demands to be addressed. Friends only - but love you all the same...

In my world, EVERYTHING needs to be addressed. I just enjoy it SO much. I had these thoughts that needed to be put down - this happened to be the place.

As always, the love is mutual.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Quite often, I find ENTPs think they have ripped an argument to shreds when in reality they are just putting their argument across louder than their opponent.
Often, it's when we're still in the middle of the debate.

Just like winning a debate does not make you right, it just makes you a good debater, saying you've ripped an argument apart doesn't necessarily mean you did.

Also, ENTPs don't shy away from using tactics that may be perceived as a personal attack by NFs, hence the misconception on both sides?

Actually for all their Tness I do find it really common for Ts to be the first to introduce ad-hominem remarks.

I don't get easily offended, but the minute the debate stops being about the topic and becomes about the debaters I lose my interest immediately.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Actually for all their Tness I do find it really common for Ts to be the first to introduce ad-hominem remarks.

I don't get easily offended, but the minute the debate stops being about the topic and becomes about the debaters I lose my interest immediately.

Ad-hominem attacks piss me off to no end. They're completely irrelevant and have nothing to do with the topic at hand.

ergophobe

Allergic to Mornings
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6

I like Latin words that concisely explain what I wanted to say. Thanks.

Cady

MBTI Type
ENTP
I adore ENFP's as friends. I'm honestly not sure anything would get done if we were in a relationship together.

As for debating, I've found ENFP's don't really like conflict but they do value a good discussion. Because we process information differently we tend to compliment each other well in discussions, both pointing out sides that the other may have missed.

I've never even gotten close to arguing with an ENFP so I'm not sure if they're just really easy-going or on to my wily argument starting tactics.

An example of a conversation between me and my ENFP friend:

ENFP: We should do something really crazy today!
ENTP: Yea, tonight after I finish work?
ENFP: Do you think eventually robots will just take over jobs for everyone, and everyone will just be unemployed?
ENTP: People would want to institute some sort of heirchy in it's place then. It wouldn't happen though because those making the decisions to robotize more mechanical labor would likely be wary of creating a technology that would replace their own functions in society. I can't see most politicians voting for the implementation of politician robots for example. People in positions of power don't usually want to hand it over.
ENFP: Yea I guess that's true. It would be really cool if it happened though.
ENTP: Ok, I could see it happen if the robot-replacing-jobs technology happened in a giant boom like the microchip -> computers but even more intense.

We end up both conceding slightly to each other. The end result is usually fun and exploratory if perhaps a little whimsical.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I've often wondered how it's all going to turn out, because if you think about it, the factory jobs which actually build wealth in this country hardly need human labor at all! What will we then producing? Where will the displaced workers go?

In an odd twist of fate, by creating robots to relieve the workload, humans have phased out their usefulness...and with the view that in order to eat what's given on your plate you need to work for it...

In any case, America won't be the same unless there is some miraculous way to create a shit-ton of jobs (I say infrastructure, a semi-good call by Obama,) not every American will be able to support him or herself without a "welfare state."

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Do you guys think it's healthy to seek out a SO with whom one constantly debates? Or is argumentation and one-upmanship better left for friends, with relationships being :wubbie:-fests?

To seek out someone, who you can constantly debate with is lovely. But someone who constantly needs to debate is a lot of work

CindySue

MBTI Type
INFP
I read somewhere that ENTP's relate arguing with intimacy. Strange idea if you ask me. So this question goes to the ENTPs. The more you argue with a person of the opposite sex, the more attracted or interested you are in them? What if the argument turns to anger? Is anger a level of love?

Qre:us

I read somewhere that ENTP's relate arguing with intimacy. Strange idea if you ask me. So this question goes to the ENTPs. The more you argue with a person of the opposite sex, the more attracted or interested you are in them? What if the argument turns to anger? Is anger a level of love?

Yes. Oh baby. Yes, angry sex.

(honestly, I wouldn't engage with a person, if I knew them well enough, and had an iota of respect for them, if I knew they couldn't handle an argument for argument's sake, without getting to that point of personal investment, which leads to anger....and, with a SO it would be a moot point, cuz I would not pick that person as a likely SO for me, if he couldn't handle/understand that key about argument/debating)

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
It's not arguing, it's sharing ideas. We find out more about you and also clarify our own views by bouncing ideas back and forth, and by playing devil's advocate. Most call it debating, some call it arguing but I just call it learning. Arguing, to me, is anger and raised voices - which all types are capable of.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram

I think the better statement would be that entps are better at expressing their feelings via intimacy. Which is, so I think, a universal statement for T types. (Cause who wants to have group sex in public ? )

CindySue

MBTI Type
INFP
Yes. Oh baby. Yes, angry sex.

haha. What does it mean when an ENTP gets angry but still sticks around? I had a girlfriend that dated a Entp guy that would constantly argue with her but he stuck around but appeared very angry all the time. You all seem like such lovable creatures but the debating is a very confusing thing. Is the anger some complicated symbol of the deep down love that can't escape?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
haha. What does it mean when an ENTP gets angry but still sticks around? I had a girlfriend that dated a Entp guy that would constantly argue with her but he stuck around but appeared very angry all the time. You all seem like such lovable creatures but the debating is a very confusing thing. Is the anger some complicated symbol of the deep down love that can't escape?

In my opinion you watch to much television

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8

I don't know what his problem is, but I am very rarely angry. Because I am 'debating' does not mean I am angry.

Cady

MBTI Type
ENTP

It probably wasn't anger as much as frustration about not getting his point across. I usually only end up arguing if another person is too rigid in their views to discuss and then I argue in attempts to force them to think outside of their value system or at the very least to hear a genuine endorsement of WHY they believe what they believe so solidly.

If things get down to an argument, especially with someone who takes it personally I'll usually feel bad after for letting things get so heated. I'll usually stick around to prove it's not as big a deal as their making it out to be...I can be civil too...sometimes...

Of course it does seem like some other types take any form of discussion with conflicting ideas as an argument, could us ENTP's get some enlightenment on that?

For example when my brother and me start discussing something passionately a SF friend of mine always asks us why we're arguing. It's infuriating because here we are having a very involved discussion about something highly theoretical, both completely into it and thoroughly enjoying it when we're told:

"Why can't you guys just agree to disagree? Let's talk about something else."

:doh:

@#($*#@()$*@#

Discussion =/= Argument
Moderately raised voices indicate passion, not anger.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
you got me there, kiddo.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram