User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Default The Contradictory Nature of Being an NT

I am an INTP. I don't know if this is actually characteristic of all NT's, or if it's just other INTP's, but I would like to see if other NT's have their heads in the clouds as much as I do.

To move on, I often daydream and fantasize about looking at nature, watching sunsets, enjoying landscapes, etc., however, when I actually DO go out to nature or watch a sunset, I dislike it and don't see what the big deal is. It's ironic because I enjoy the world better in my head, which is absolutely ridiculous.

When I go about my daily business, I often feel as though I have 75% of myself at any given moment invested in my head. It's hard to describe this, and I'm not sure many other types will get it, but it's when I force myself to "stop and smell the roses," if you will, or just take the time to look around my surroundings, I can take that remaining 75% out of my head and act completely "in the present," but I can only do it for a short time...maybe because I'm not used to doing it. The best way I could describe it using MBTI is like switching my mind off from an N into an S.

Does anyone else know what I'm talking about and can sympathize with me on any given level?
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    INTp

Not sure I know how to "stop and smell the roses" at all as I am always in my head, but I do enjoy nature. I have a mini laboratory in my back yard, so I can go outside, observe for a short time, come back in and research. I have been observing a new tree ant and studying the hunting habits of yellowjack hornets
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

MBTI
    IsfP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

I'm exactly the same way. I like to think of nature in my head, but when it comes down to it, I can't really appreciate it "in the moment style".

Sometimes I get to the point of being extremely stressed by my analytical thinking, I just go down to the school yard in the middle of the night and lay on a bench and look at the stars. This is an example of the only time I can really let everything go. Feeling "in the moment" is such a wonderful experience for a person who doesn't get to appreciate it very much.

I don't know why it's this way. I'm an INTP also, so maybe it's something to do with the order of functions. Is it Si that is used as a stress reliever? Si is connected to past experiences, maybe this would include nostalgia which is what I experience when I lay on the bench looking at the stars.

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    5w4

I think the intuitive aspect influences the way in which we think. For example, I rationalize but do it in a quick, reflexive way, almost naturally. Idealists share this N trait, and their world is similarly abstract to ours when considering ways to think independently and imagine. Indeed it is contradictory, since the Thinking wishes us to be realistic, but the iNtuitive will construct this reality within our own realms.

MBTI
    ENTJ

I do not find that. Nature is a great well of information and beauty.
    Especially once you apply Quantum Mechanics, Super String Theory, and the relativity principles, you really take notice to the beauty that has be constructed, and the fact that we can see it is a gift that exceeds most.
    I do think of many things and wonder of the future, but the future relies on appreciating the present, hence, stopping to smell the roses is something I always make time for.
    This world is mine - in time.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Blank View Post
    To move on, I often daydream and fantasize about looking at nature, watching sunsets, enjoying landscapes, etc., however, when I actually DO go out to nature or watch a sunset, I dislike it and don't see what the big deal is. It's ironic because I enjoy the world better in my head, which is absolutely ridiculous.
    Answer 1: At least you get to enjoy looking at nature in your head.

Answer 2: IMO your OP is about the contradictory nature of being an NTP. Your struggle is with your inferior Fe that is gauging your strong personal preference for using N against the societal maxim that Sightseeing Is Thrilling. We INTJs easily (some would say arrogantly) dismiss the latter and start threads akin to this one only with a transparently smug smirk and an accusatory tone toward society (Antisocial one, I'm looking at you! :SaiyanSmilie_anim, whereas ENTJs seem to either beat 'em by quickly, almost mindlessly thwarting any invokings of the maxim with the Te force of their personality ("Is looking at the sunset going to help me save our business?" with the implied follow-up "No? Then shut up about the damn sunset.") or join 'em by at least paying lip service to the truth of the maxim ("Look what a beautiful sunset!" and then you don't see them give the sunset a second look themselves ).

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ILE

I do get you about the imagining thing. But with me the problem is trying to stop imagining what could happen and actually enjoy it when it does happen. I found the trick to being more here and now is just to do anything that comes to mind straight away as then before your mind develops the idea into a bigger one you are getting out your system. Telling jokes is a good example. If i think of anything vaguely funny i just say it so my mind doesn't racing ahead and lose track of reality.
    "I'd never die for my beliefs, I might be wrong"

"Is it not enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe there are fairys at the bottom of it too"

"Intelligence is being able to hold too opposing views in the mind at the one time without going crazy" - Now all I need to figure out is if I'm intelligent or crazy!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    or join 'em by at least paying lip service to the truth of the maxim ("Look what a beautiful sunset!" and then you don't see them give the sunset a second look themselves ).
    Yeah, that's similar to what I do. They say, "Hey, look at the sunset" and then I glance at it and say, "Yeah, that's really nice," without actually having looked at it. Unless I'm in really bad mood, then I'll say, "I'm not interested in the sun unless it's going to supernova soon. Leave me alone."

I've never really appreciated nature much, myself. I think it could be because I wasn't exposed to it a lot as a kid, so I don't have any fond memories of it. I spent the majority of my childhood indoors, and I'm content to continue keeping my time outdoors to a minimum.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

It's not just NTs that experience this. I find myself often depressed when I have to leave that magical place in my head and get back to the 'real' world.
    And yes, often things are better in your head, coz you have none of the wordly restrictions and discomforts

Though if you just sit quietly in Nature, I find it can blow you away. I also find that I can merge the world in my head with my surroundings at that point. And that's one of the rare occasions I experience utter bliss
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    entp

not nature per se, but yeah, a LOT of things are much better in my head than in real life

in your head, you have it exactly how you want it with all the things you like added and all the things you dont like removed...not the case when in comes to real life