• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NT Operating System choice

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
The cost of ownership is virtually identical, but PCs give more options, more inter-operatability and stronger support. The only reason Macs are the least bit comparable is because they are extremely closed to the user - limited hardware and limited software.

Most of the software I use wasn't available for Windows until very recently. So I had to use Macs. But I also like macs better. Since they are now pandering to windows users, with all their iphone, itunes and ipod crap, service has defintely gone down. But I still prefer macs to pcs. I don't like how fragments of programs are spread throughout your registry. Macs are a lot more transparent. But then again, I haven't run a windows based machine in a few years and it's possible that things could have changed... I don't know. But I'm fine with my macs.

Samvega

Buddhist Misanthrope
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Stripped versions of Windows and Linux Live Distros

Macs are laughable for anyone but "simpler" types of computer users, IMO

/ elitism

I wouldn't mind an explanation there. I have installed linux from line command so I know it well. OS X like Linux is Unix based and includes a terminal. I would explain further but if you know computers there's no need to say more.

So how do you figure OS X is for "simpler" users?

The Decline

(☞゚∀゚)☞
MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w4
So how do you figure OS X is for "simpler" users?

Lots of Mac users claim to enjoy their Macs (as opposed to PCs) "because it just works".

Also, I apologize for the elitism :cheese:

Samvega

Buddhist Misanthrope
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Lots of Mac users claim to enjoy their Macs (as opposed to PCs) "because it just works".

Also, I apologize for the elitism :cheese:

Yes, I will assume you're educated enough to know why this statement has come to play. Though your lack of ability to quote and multi quote makes me question your computer proficiency.

The Decline

(☞゚∀゚)☞
MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w4
<thinly-veiled ad hominem response with little value to the discussion at hand>.

My bad, you got me; I'm terrible with "computer proficiency". In the future I'll conform to the quoting standards as dictated in the forum etiquette handbook!

Samvega

Buddhist Misanthrope
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
My bad, you got me; I'm terrible with "computer proficiency". In the future I'll conform to the quoting standards as dictated in the forum etiquette handbook!

You keep compounding unexplained statements. I have asked for you to clarify and you seem to be failing to do so.

OS X is indubitably a superior OS and has now commanded a 10% market share. The demise of Apple was the same as has often been the case with Sony formats. By not allowing clones Apple failed to dominate the market with low cost machines.

There is however no debate that can be made for MS being better than OS X though I welcome you as an INTP to back up one thing you say.

The Decline

(☞゚∀゚)☞
MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w4
I fully back up my offhanded crack at the Mac userbase, including the elitist fashion in which I overtly introduced it. May I kindly suggest that you learn to take a joke, or shall we continue to further this at your expense?

Fluxkom

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I switched to Mac about 14 month's ago.
Made my wife switch 2 weeks ago, too :)

And the saying "once you go mac, you never go back" is so totally true.

Love it!

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Surely a false statement.

I look forward to your logical proof of this.

However, it is generally true. For every equivalent state of Macs, from the small to the large, the cost of ownership is roughly the same. It's actually a bit higher for macs in general... or use to be. Simple economics; people pay a premium for the elitism of macs.

But while it is a nightmare to run a windows network, it is also a nightmare to run a large mac network. And where you need to overpay for low end machines, the low end machines are the most quickly replaced and least secure (user demographics). The fundamental underpinnings of the apple/ms or pc/mac debate quickly establish an equilibrium. Granted, it's skewed in the MS/PC's favor because of the lock-in of hardware and the premium of elitism, but most of that is made up by the popularity of the system, giving maximum value of exploiting those systems.

*shrug* The only system I won't run is a mac. As far as I am concerned, and this is despite recent improvements, Macs are closed proprietary systems and the company is built upon this principle. I won't call them DRM infested anymore, although I am sorely tempted to outside of the computer platforms (and even on, in mayn ways), but even without that, it's on a level that I can not tolerate. I'm old school, as far as computers go, and value the freedom I have over the system.

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
I like one thing about mac: spotlight.

but I still prefer windows.

Samvega

Buddhist Misanthrope
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I fully back up my offhanded crack at the Mac userbase, including the elitist fashion in which I overtly introduced it. May I kindly suggest that you learn to take a joke, or shall we continue to further this at your expense?

We can further this at my expense if that's what you feel the cost is or needs to be.

A statement in of itself is nothing without something to prop it up, you're an young INTP needing to feel as if you know something but unable to justify what you say. Until you're able to do so the conversation is not only one sided but moot.

The Decline

(☞゚∀゚)☞
MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w4
I look forward to your logical proof of this.

It's quite simple. Since you cannot customize/build your own Mac, Apple has control over the prices and builds. Hardware cost/performance comparisons vs. a home-built PC at market prices will result in finding the PC far more cost efficient.

We can further this at my expense if that's what you feel the cost is or needs to be.

A statement in of itself is nothing without something to prop it up, you're an young INTP needing to feel as if you know something but unable to justify what you say. Until you're able to do so the conversation is not only one sided but moot.

I'm absolutely lamenting in the fact that you understand me so well. How did that happen? Was I not careful enough? Or are you just that omniscient?

Back to the matter at hand: I've already retorted. Read carefully my previous statements and it will become clear: a simple crack at Mac users sent you into a seemingly blinding reaction of defensiveness. I still back my claim of baselessly assaulting the Mac userbase at their fashionable expense; it was quite fun, as were you. I hope you've enjoyed this elaborate troll.

Samvega

Buddhist Misanthrope
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Back to the matter at hand: I've already retorted. Read carefully my previous statements and it will become clear: a simple crack at Mac users sent you into a seemingly blinding reaction of defensiveness. I still back my claim of baselessly assaulting the Mac userbase at their fashionable expense; it was quite fun, as were you. I hope you've enjoyed this elaborate troll.

I'm well aware that the N in INTP stands for iNtuition but in your case it stands for what exactly as iNtuition is clearly something you're lacking. Mine on the other hand is spot on enough to know you're 19 at best. Oh and that you aren't going to admit you're 19 cause it sucks to have me be right. It's cute kiddo :) I like you little ones, feisty like tiger cubs. Ha, did you get the humor in that or did it go over your head?

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
cj - you can restart with keystrokes. but if you reset with a PC, don't you still have to wait?
also, very basic instructions to get you started:Using GarageBand - A Tutorial on Making Music in GarageBand - Garage Band Help
but if you need more in depth info, let me know.

Keystrokes? God i really need to do some research on IT. I've got a job interview for IT support on monday as well!:doh:
Cheers jen that guides quite simple. Yah i know what i'm doing all weekend now!:happy:

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Been a Windows person really. Just what I have been exposed to. I like how Windows has good 3rd party software and hardware support. Vista I thought was system hog and load of crap, but I'm enjoying Windows 7 so far. I've only poked around with Macs insofar as fixing things my sister has done to it, so my knowledge is pedestrian at best. Wouldn't mind grabbing one and playing around with it, but I don't really have a reason to do so.

I also run Windows SBS 2003 R2 at work.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I use Vista, although I would have preferred to upgrade to XP, but my PC came with it. I'm thinking about trying the switch to 7, but I don't know yet. The lack of a true right click on a mac would kill me. I've also become far too used to hotkeys in windows to fathom a switch to Mac or anything else. Another benefit of Windows is that it's a lot easier to play games because almost everything is designed for it.

And at Samvega: If he's nineteen, who really gives a flying fuck? Right now you're acting like the immature teenager. Grow up.

The Decline

(☞゚∀゚)☞
MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w4
I'm well aware that the N in INTP stands for iNtuition but in your case it stands for what exactly as iNtuition is clearly something you're lacking. Mine on the other hand is spot on enough to know you're 19 at best. Oh and that you aren't going to admit you're 19 cause it sucks to have me be right. It's cute kiddo :) I like you little ones, feisty like tiger cubs. Ha, did you get the humor in that or did it go over your head?

The irony in your statements is just too much... I have to respond. :cheese:

Somehow you just keep me coming back, Samvega! While it's unfortunate that sarcasm and clever wit are not communicated well simply via text, it can create some hilarious situations. I find it fucking hilarious that you still don't get it and that you'll probably think that the previous statement is referring to my own supposed lack of understanding in the humor at hand.