half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    The cost of ownership is virtually identical, but PCs give more options, more inter-operatability and stronger support. The only reason Macs are the least bit comparable is because they are extremely closed to the user - limited hardware and limited software.
    Most of the software I use wasn't available for Windows until very recently. So I had to use Macs. But I also like macs better. Since they are now pandering to windows users, with all their iphone, itunes and ipod crap, service has defintely gone down. But I still prefer macs to pcs. I don't like how fragments of programs are spread throughout your registry. Macs are a lot more transparent. But then again, I haven't run a windows based machine in a few years and it's possible that things could have changed... I don't know. But I'm fine with my macs.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by The Decline View Post
    Stripped versions of Windows and Linux Live Distros

Macs are laughable for anyone but "simpler" types of computer users, IMO

/ elitism
    I wouldn't mind an explanation there. I have installed linux from line command so I know it well. OS X like Linux is Unix based and includes a terminal. I would explain further but if you know computers there's no need to say more.

So how do you figure OS X is for "simpler" users?

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    5w4

The cost of ownership is virtually identical
    Surely a false statement.

but PCs give more options, more inter-operatability and stronger support.
    Mostly true..

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    5w4

So how do you figure OS X is for "simpler" users?
    Lots of Mac users claim to enjoy their Macs (as opposed to PCs) "because it just works".

Also, I apologize for the elitism

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Lots of Mac users claim to enjoy their Macs (as opposed to PCs) "because it just works".

Also, I apologize for the elitism
    Yes, I will assume you're educated enough to know why this statement has come to play. Though your lack of ability to quote and multi quote makes me question your computer proficiency.

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Samvega View Post
    <thinly-veiled ad hominem response with little value to the discussion at hand>.
    My bad, you got me; I'm terrible with "computer proficiency". In the future I'll conform to the quoting standards as dictated in the forum etiquette handbook!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

My bad, you got me; I'm terrible with "computer proficiency". In the future I'll conform to the quoting standards as dictated in the forum etiquette handbook!

You keep compounding unexplained statements. I have asked for you to clarify and you seem to be failing to do so.

OS X is indubitably a superior OS and has now commanded a 10% market share. The demise of Apple was the same as has often been the case with Sony formats. By not allowing clones Apple failed to dominate the market with low cost machines.

There is however no debate that can be made for MS being better than OS X though I welcome you as an INTP to back up one thing you say.

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    5w4

I fully back up my offhanded crack at the Mac userbase, including the elitist fashion in which I overtly introduced it. May I kindly suggest that you learn to take a joke, or shall we continue to further this at your expense?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

I switched to Mac about 14 month's ago.
    Made my wife switch 2 weeks ago, too :-)

And the saying "once you go mac, you never go back" is so totally true.

Love it!
    When I get sad I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Video Challenge Question Video
    Race: Werepire
    Alignment: Neutral Good
    7w8 sx>so>sp
    Give me an E! E
    Give me a N! N
    Give me a T! T
    Give me a P! P
    What's that? Yeah right, that's me!

Always expect the unexpected! - Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ISTP

Surely a false statement.
    I look forward to your logical proof of this.

However, it is generally true. For every equivalent state of Macs, from the small to the large, the cost of ownership is roughly the same. It's actually a bit higher for macs in general... or use to be. Simple economics; people pay a premium for the elitism of macs.

But while it is a nightmare to run a windows network, it is also a nightmare to run a large mac network. And where you need to overpay for low end machines, the low end machines are the most quickly replaced and least secure (user demographics). The fundamental underpinnings of the apple/ms or pc/mac debate quickly establish an equilibrium. Granted, it's skewed in the MS/PC's favor because of the lock-in of hardware and the premium of elitism, but most of that is made up by the popularity of the system, giving maximum value of exploiting those systems.

*shrug* The only system I won't run is a mac. As far as I am concerned, and this is despite recent improvements, Macs are closed proprietary systems and the company is built upon this principle. I won't call them DRM infested anymore, although I am sorely tempted to outside of the computer platforms (and even on, in mayn ways), but even without that, it's on a level that I can not tolerate. I'm old school, as far as computers go, and value the freedom I have over the system.