• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] Why do people seem to dislike INTJs?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^ Gotto love that sarcasm as well :D

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
I actually get along with other NTJ's better. Soul-bunny? Well. Maybe. I've not come into contact with NTP's that I know of. Maybe they'll tell me I have a soul bunny. I hope they do. BUNNY STEW!

well yes, i meant among the people that stay outside your circle of readily friendliness

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
I still believe that you don't have the level of understanding that I do in these specific areas (namely cell biology and biochemistry), and you haven't refuted that.

When one wants to predict future understanding of the human body and mind one needs a much broader perspective than that. It's especially important to see the development of medical science in relationship to the development of information technology, which is exponential. Further more one must take the development of nano technology heavily into consideration, which will among other things, be the foundation for continued exponential growth of information technology and revolutionize materials.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Man, this is hilarious. Are NTPs seriously telling INTJs that they're hurtful in their wording? Ohh, the irony :D

It is a clash in how we both search for truth. INTjs tend to dismiss boundless discussion if they do not think it is remotely realistic. From an NP/NTP point of view, they can appear to stifle imagination and creativity. Nonsequiter's comment does just that.

However, from the NJ/NTJ point of view, discussing something that is obviously not the case and inherently flawed or unrealistic is pointless. To them, it's akin to someone arguing that the sun really does revolve around the earth. No time should be spent on its discussion at all.

The goal is the same, just the method is completely different.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Nonsequitur- Careful, they may interpret your careful dissection and explanation of statements as a threatening action. The clinical way in which you analyze things may come across as...COLD.

... cold? Me? NO WAI.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I still believe that you don't have the level of understanding that I do in these specific areas (namely cell biology and biochemistry), and you haven't refuted that

So you say that I'm trying to hurt you, and you don't see it as bullying. That is what I don't get. I am addressing two separate things that you said here

They would be elegant and amazing IF they worked. Problem is that they don't, because the situation is a lot more complex. Said NPs would've realised that if he/she hadn't been overly-excited by the idea and done more reading of the literature (a LOT of NP supervisors have this problem, and I chose an ENTP supervisor precisely because I wanted a lot of enthusiasm, which I lack, and realised that we would be a complementary fit).

I didn't make any assumptions on your education level... I was addressing your understanding of specific topics, as above.

I'm not going to run around in circles with you.
I already stated that I would not have made my original statement had I not thoroughly researched and thought about it. So yes, I did refute that. If you want to go point by point on this particular topic, please feel free to PM me. You stated that you believe me to have no knowledge on the subject, which is in direct contradiction to my educational level on the subject. And it seems like you dismiss ENTPs in general, so there is no point to go any further with this argument.

The above phrases about hurt were examples to illustrate the point. I didn't think I needed to spell it out. I already apologized for speculating on your intent, but it seemed like that second response was meant to demean, while the first was just an innocent dismissal.

Also from New Oxford American Dictionary:

naive |nīˈēv| (also naïve)
adjective
(of a person or action) showing a lack of experience, wisdom, or judgment : the rather naive young man had been totally misled.
• (of a person) natural and unaffected; innocent : Andy had a sweet, naive look when he smiled.
• of or denoting art produced in a straightforward style that deliberately rejects sophisticated artistic techniques and has a bold directness resembling a child's work, typically in bright colors with little or no perspective.

More colloquially, from wiktionary:

Lacking experience, wisdom, or judgment; Produced in a simple, childlike style, deliberately rejecting sophisticated techniques

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
Nonsequitur- Careful, they may interpret your careful dissection and explanation of statements as a threatening action. The clinical way in which you analyze things may come across as...COLD.

its ok...we realize forked tongues have their uses...thats good enough reason to keep 'em around

limited in its scope, but useful nonetheless

juggernaut

Permabanned
Did I say anything that was vicious?

Did I say you did? You may not be vicious, but the ENTPs I know in real life could hardly be called "kind" souls. I have a very dear friend that almost got himself killed a few short months ago because he couldn't keep his big, mean ENTP mouth shut. I love the man dearly but I know he is a bully, like many of the ENTPs on this forum.

Do you think it is acceptable for you to make generalizations about INTJs when you are unwilling to hear them made in reference to ENTPs? That certainly doesn't strike me as very NT. If you're going to say things like "INTJs are (x)" or "INTJs do (y)", you ought to be prepared to entertain the same treatment of ENTPs.

ergophobe

Allergic to Mornings
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I :heart: the INTJs in my life. They are wonderfully smart and warm and socially awkward. One INTJ friend is just one of my favorite people in the world. He's more laid back than the NTPs I know, knows a heck of a lot on the subjects he cares about and always shares what he knows. He also listens carefully and is less interested in debate/argument than learning about the subject.

I like both methods of getting closer to the truth. I am naturally inclined towards the NTP death match method, being an ENXP but I also dig the mellow knowledge sharing.

His favorite subject is beer so it's actually quite handy having him around. :) He also has the coolest hobbies and is rather accomplished in many areas. I like INTJs. I'd like to have more around.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I'd like a distinction to be made between actually smart and funny intjs (whom I love) and people who simply came too close to ending up autistic\are far far less smart than they think they are.

Just like people shouldn't confuse entps with intps with add, or something.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Did I say you did? You may not be vicious, but the ENTPs I know in real life could hardly be called "kind" souls. I have a very dear friend that almost got himself killed a few short months ago because he couldn't keep his big, mean ENTP mouth shut. I love the man dearly but I know he is a bully, like many of the ENTPs on this forum.

Do you think it is acceptable for you to make generalizations about INTJs when you are unwilling to hear them made in reference to ENTPs? That certainly doesn't strike me as very NT. If you're going to say things like "INTJs are (x)" or "INTJs do (y)", you ought to be prepared to entertain the same treatment of ENTPs.

:doh:

Oh my goodness... I never said you couldn't criticize me or an ENTP, I just asked if I had said something offensive because you said something about a pot calling a kettle black.

I know we can be seen as assholes. There have been countless threads about it. I've also apologized countless times for being an asshole. But this thread asked a question about INTJs specifically. I made a comment in reference to genes and had my intelligence insulted. I don't do that to people.

Most ENTPs would at least want to hear your arguments while most INTJs are content with saying that you could have no possible way of understanding the argument. And this is why people seem to dislike INTJs. But of course there are reasons for people to not like ENTPs or INFJs or ABCDs...

And no offense but coming from an ENTJ this is comical. We're all a bunch of pricks, just in different ways.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ I would PM you for details, but it's 3am and I'm going to bed.

That said, I would like to emphasise that I don't dismiss ENTPs. As I said, I chose my current boss PRECISELY because I knew that he is an ENTP, and hoped that we would cover each other's blind spots. I know that I tend to dismiss ideas almost as quickly as I generate them, and that's why I don't easily get excited about them. Everyone, myself and my supervisor included, thinks that we're a very good fit. He is a whole lot better at selling ideas, and explaining possibilities than I am. He's also a lot better a communication and building collaborations. He sees the possibilities and sells the sky, I see the limitations in techniques and try to be conservative.

While I was a lot more comfortable working with my previous INTJ supervisor (we had a deep and instinctive understanding), I have no doubt that my current boss helps me to develop more as a scientist. So I think you're mistaken when you think that I dismiss ENTPs. I believe we cover each other's blind spots, even if his do irritate me (as mine irritate him, I'm sure).

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It is a clash in how we both search for truth. INTjs tend to dismiss boundless discussion if they do not think it is remotely realistic. From an NP/NTP point of view, they can appear to stifle imagination and creativity. Nonsequiter's comment does just that.

However, from the NJ/NTJ point of view, discussing something that is obviously not the case and inherently flawed or unrealistic is pointless. To them, it's akin to someone arguing that the sun really does revolve around the earth. No time should be spent on its discussion at all.

Hmm.. I'm not so sure that'd apply to all INTJs.. I've known a few IRL to enjoy discussing/debating the most ridiculous, outlandish & nonsensical concepts/topics/hypotheticals to the extreme [all in fun, of course].
It's actually pretty hilarious when they create/apply some 'rational' line of reasoning to the imaginary..

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Hmm.. I'm not so sure that'd apply to all INTJs.. I've known a few IRL to enjoy discussing/debating the most ridiculous, outlandish & nonsensical concepts/topics/hypotheticals to the extreme [all in fun, of course].
It's actually pretty hilarious when they create/apply some 'rational' line of reasoning to the imaginary..

The difference is that this is in good fun and speculation when there's not a particular goal that needs to be reached.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The difference is that this is in good fun and speculation when there's not a particular goal that needs to be reached.

:doh: Should've noticed this.
*looks around for Ni* :thinking: ..now where did I drop that thing today..?

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
If you want to understand how to instinctively dislike 80% of the so-called INTJs, just go to their forum. Visit them, it will teach you a lot.

Most of them are neurotic, misanthropic, narcissistic, pretentious, and severely lack humour.

And unlike the ENTPs, where arrogance is only a facade, a game, a kind of comedy, most INTJs usually are exceedingly serious when they think they know everything better than any other people.

A lot of them are irrational, irresponsible braggarts who are not even aware how ridiculous some of their claims actually are.

---

Now the curious fact is that most of my close IRL friends are INTJs.

And even here. But the INTJ subspecie you meet on Typology-central seems to be a very different breed, far more concise, polite and agreeable (1)...

---

(1) I hope they won't take this word as an insult... :rolli:

invaderzim

MBTI Type
INFJ
:[ That would probably be because you state that it is a "fact" without backing that up? I don't know. It seems like an unbacked assumption.

I wasn't being serious. I was just playing along with the thread. I like INTJs. Overall they are good people and not malicious at all. Both my brother and my cousin have this temperament. And they are great. :hug:

INTJ just seem cold cause they live in their heads most of the time. Alot of people think my brother is cold and judgemental but he's not even paying attention to anyone.

(It occurs to me that I write so dry...that other people can't see I'm playing around. sorry about that)

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I like INTJs. Overall they are good people and not malicious at all.

That's right: they are not malicious at all, but rather insufferable. Most of the time, they are way too self-absorbed and selfish to bother slander other people for fun.

Too bad. (They don't know what they're missing!)

F

FigerPuppet

most INTJs usually are exceedingly serious when they think they know everything better than any other people.

Because that's usually the reality with INTJs who are debating a subject they have researched.

invaderzim

MBTI Type
INFJ
Most of the time, they are way too self-absorbed and selfish to bother slander other people for fun.

Exactly.:yes: They are perfectly harmless. All they care about is themselves, their minds, and their perfect way of doing things. As long as you give them a book and something to analyze, they will leave you alone.

And every now and then you can chit-chat with them about their new theories.

(P.S. the above is a gross generalization)