• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] House Alone Time

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
I've recently started living alone for the first time evah (ok, apart from a couple of months in my twenties but that sucked for various other reasons). It's :nice:. Love it.

And uh, yeah, done the dancing round my apartment to music too. Toto's Africa is particularly awesome.

I get plenty of HAT every day! I just stay up a few hours after everyone else has gone to bed. :D

I used to do that before I moved out. It helps but it's not the same as true HAT.

Rajah

Reigning Bologna Princess
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I think you might be right, Rajah--it might be the Fe that makes it hard to focus when someone else is around.
Yeah. I tend to be focused on my company's mood and experience. When company is in a good mood, it augments my good mood. When company isn't, I feel that and I can't relax and enjoy myself. In either case, my mood is derived from company's mood.

And sometimes I want to derive my mood from my own experience, darnit. Even if I love said company.

Rajah

Reigning Bologna Princess
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Toto's Africa is particularly awesome.
Not nec. for dancing experience, but for listening experience... Africa segues really, really well into Alan Parsons Project's "Eye in the Sky."

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I can totally relate. I don't get it very often because I live with my two kids and very frequently have visitors, but when the kids are asleep or away and I've told people I won't be at home, I do snatch those times when I can.

Particularly for me, because when in the company of other people I have to wear several layers of very tight chest binding, which is very uncomfortable and becomes painful after not too long, it's hugely relieving to be able to spend DAY time (quite often I only get to take it off last thing at night) being actually able to breathe properly, and to think and stuff freely without having to apportion so much willpower and self control to sorta putting up with the pain and making it undetectable to others.

Even without that though, yeah there's definitely something cool about being able to just veg out in my pyjamas if I want, just chill and do my own thing without having to "be polite" :)

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
Yes, I love getting the house to myself. I have my own place, but I always have a bunch of people crashing here. It's fun and I like the energy and the discussions. But damn, I love it when I'm alone with my thoughts and I can just be (naked).

HAT, FTW!!!

Same here, I always have friends or family crashing at my house, even friends with their kids so it gets really packed out.

I love my alone time though, I'm currently itching for my brother to at least meet a girl so he can stay out some nights because it's been ages and ages since I had an alone moment. :violin:

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have always loved time alone in my house or apartment. Even when I live with another introvert that doesn't intrude on my thinking space or even physical space, there's really something incredibly freeing about being totally alone in your own space. I kind of feel like a toy that comes alive when its owner leaves or something--like I have the freedom to be totally myself. My brain works better, even. I get quick fixes by being alone in my car, but nothing really compares to House Alone Time (henceforth known as HAT). :smile: I will admit to dancing around and singing at the top of my lungs during HAT, as well. Can anyone relate?

Totally, I love strawling around bare naked in an empty house. Admittedly I don't sing while doing so. But house alone time is definatly a very relaxing thing for me. I love it!

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
I crave so much HAT that I'll forgo having children and even living with my partner, thanks!

:coffee:

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I love HAT. I gotta have it. When my kids are gone and my husband is gone for work I'm absolutely giddy for my alone time. I cook what I want. Watch movies and eat in bed. Take long baths while reading a book. Sleep in. Don't answer the phone or the door and rarely get dressed or wear as little as possible. Love it.

ReadingRainbows

Cat Wench
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I only allow people who cuddle me to stay at my house.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
HAT bores me most of the time, I could definitely live without it. I need to have someone around.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hearing how much people love their HAT has me thinking... I know an INFJ that refused to share her HAT with me and I thought she was just being weird. I'm allowed to be at her house now though, and I'm supposedly welcome to her HAT time too :D

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I know an INFJ that refused to share her HAT with me and I thought she was just being weird. I'm allowed to be at her house now though, and I'm supposedly welcome to her HAT time too :D

Ahh, but HAT time can't be shared, that's the whole point of it, why it's so sacred ;)

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
HAT is much more sought out for introversion, like visiting a party or crowds that take energy away there needs to be a designated space to feel comfortable, to treat the self to precious alone time that soothes the senses and expels stress, essential really.

Its like when sitting in contemplation and a train of though is interrupted by commotion the energy needed to go back to that initial thought takes twice as long. And should this continue, I get a bit disoriented, energy gets drained way too quickly and what brings me back to focus is by being alone for a sec so I can refocus. HAT is like retail therapy to some, its the prana energy that revitalizes, just like taking a bite to eat.

I've gotten highly stressed and anxious without alone time for long periods of time, haha a bit like sleeping for less than 4 hours a week, cranky as button a pusher, I gotta get some HAT time during the week or I'll send furniture flying. :steam:

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
:huh: no fair! that's just selfish :D

Indeed. You should help her become selfless by making sure she is not allowed any HAT, you’d be helping her in the long run and I’m sure once she realised this she would be very grateful :yes:

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Indeed. You should help her become selfless by making sure she is not allowed any HAT, you’d be helping her in the long run and I’m sure once she realised this she would be very grateful :yes:

hmmm... You raise a fair point :worthy:

But is my HAT worth the same amount as any other person's HAT?

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
hmmm... You raise a fair point :worthy:

But is my HAT worth the same amount as any other person's HAT?

Of course. though... if being alone truly bores you and you honestly don't understand the concept of it not being something you can share (the word ALONE means ALONE!), then I don't think you'd actually need it...

That's kinda strange though to me - my mom's a definite ESFJ and she needs HAT too, so does my ENFJ sister. My mom likes to kick everyone out of the house to have it to herself for an afternoon - she mostly does housework in that time, preferring to be alone to do that because if there are other people around she feels the need to go into hostess mode and so gets behind on her housework, which really bothers her (wouldn't me! lol). My sister mostly paints and carves and sculpts in her HAT time.

I kinda just veg out, often play video games but just as often I sit there and daydream, god knows what goes through my mind in those times, and at the end it's like I've no recollection of anything. But I need it still.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Yeah I like house alone time too, with no one bothering me. I find that when I'm around more than a few people, I feel more drained. Especially if the ones I'm around are extroverted. Then I really feel drained.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Oh, I'm getting HAT right now as it happens, and just thinking about what I've been doing apart from surfing the net and listening to music - a lot of staring into space while my mind wanders, and cos I was sorta paying attention this time to see where it went, the most obvious thing was that it starts forming thoughts in a massive hotch potch of different languages.

I think in some ways being a multilingual extravert has its down sides. I need other people to bounce stuff off to help me think, and do a lot of the process externally. However, since I was very young I've studied other languages and much of that has integrated completely into my instinctive thought patterns. There are a lot of words and concepts and words for concepts from other languages and periods in history (some of them are dead languages) and the cultures that go with them, that I "feel" but can't express to most people, because I'd have to put it into just English or just French or whatever.

So when i'm on my own, I sorta in my mind, lie back and let all the info I've taken in recently - and throughout my life - wash up on the beach as it were, and comb through it with my polyglot hat on, expressing and pondering things to myself with my FULL vocabulary, both linguistic vocab and conceptual vocab. See, I can't even express properly what I'm doing cos I'm trying to put it all in English lol As if a monoglot's gonna understand this crap!! :laugh:

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
So when i'm on my own, I sorta in my mind, lie back and let all the info I've taken in recently - and throughout my life - wash up on the beach as it were, and comb through it with my polyglot hat on, expressing and pondering things to myself with my FULL vocabulary, both linguistic vocab and conceptual vocab. See, I can't even express properly what I'm doing cos I'm trying to put it all in English lol As if a monoglot's gonna understand this crap!! :laugh:

Oh my goodness, we truly are the same person. There are so many things that I can't even describe in English if I tried, and this is my native language.