User Tag List

First 123

Results 21 to 26 of 26

Thread: Block logic

  1. #21
    Senior Member ThinkingAboutIt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    INTp
    Posts
    264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by run View Post
    I get what you mean - cross sectioning information in different ways. Instead of eating-working-driving, you could organize the sentences in other ways.

    Yes, I look for multiple ways to organize information.
    Yes, it is organizing and assimilating information, also about seeing past what is there to what isn't, connecting the unconnected, and a few other things. I think block logic is a good example of how INTP's think innately...though I theorized that INTP's with low logical/mathematical stats may not be able to see it as well as those that do have higher numbers...not sure about that yet
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

  2. #22
    Senior Member ThinkingAboutIt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    INTp
    Posts
    264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sunset5678 View Post
    I try to daydream outcomes and alter reality into fitting with them. While I
    realize reality is reality and I have to work with what I have, picturing how it
    would look if it were to be reality is my motivator when it comes to putting
    logic into action. I guess that's what seperates ENTJs from parts of the rest
    of the world because even though we are sound thinkers, we are also movers
    and shakers. It is hard to have our ambitions and enthusiasms damped by
    'wait and sees,' 'i don't knows,' or 'dadadadada didn't work for that person.'
    While 'real' people can make different choices and control urges to use ideas
    to get power, it does make you see how powerful people like Eva Peron really
    were because people worshipped her drive, charisma and the image of a utop-
    ia she gave them, some feared her because of her drive and motives behind
    the utopia she wanted to turn argentina into. and elphaba thropp from wicked
    using her logic and catching onto the wizard not being so wonderful ended up
    being feared. funny how logic is such a basic way of thinking but in a few fic-
    tional cases or real cases in history it has ended up turning into grandure.
    One thing for sure, I agree with you that ENTJ's are people of action - I have seen it, and I believe you all don't employ anything but mach 10 once you make a decision It is an admirable trait! I also agree that ENTJ's are intelligent folks.
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

  3. #23
    Senior Member ThinkingAboutIt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    INTp
    Posts
    264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Yes, but it's poorly written. There should be some sort of connection between sentences that hints at the common topic.
    I responded to you earlier, but the post is not showing up in the thread for me, though it is showing up in my user 'stats', so I apologize if this is redundant...


    "But it encompasses the essence of block logic. Blank was also dead on to bring in entrophy as I also see it inclusive of thermodynamics law.

    I am not here to teach it, just testing a theory "
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

  4. #24
    Senior Member ThinkingAboutIt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    INTp
    Posts
    264

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by avolkiteshvara View Post
    This got me curious. Couldn't really find too much on this. It appears to be intimately tied in with religion. However I did find one example:

    Step
    I got out of bed and went to the kitchen for my coffee and breakfast. After reading the paper I drove to work. I read the daily reports and finalized the yearly report. I drove to the restaurant for lunch with my wife. I attended a meeting with the office staff. I drove to the market for our evening desert. At home we ate a leisurely dinner and ate our desert.

    Block
    I got out of bed and went to the kitchen for my coffee and breakfast. At home we ate a leisurely dinner and ate our desert. After reading the paper. I read the daily reports and finalized the yearly report. I attended a meeting with the office staff. I drove to the restaurant for lunch with my wife. I drove to the market for our evening desert. I drove to work.

    The difference appears to be dynamic vs. linear thought process. So S vs. N.

    So I yeah I would say I am more block. Fits with my ADD Intuitive personality.


    Good find TAI
    "This got me curious" - love that! I also appreciate that you were able to see more than what was on the surface. I love when someone can do or say something that will send me off on an intellectual 'adventure' to learn something new or get me thinking deeply
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

  5. #25
    Senior Member ThinkingAboutIt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    INTp
    Posts
    264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Provoker View Post
    This is a highly questionable statement. It does not follow that just because one thinks in bigger chunks that one is thinking in a non-linear way. What is critical in this assessment is the level of abstraction. Take for instance a history textbook that covers the 20th century. In effect, it will be much more broad in scope than a text that deals specifically with the 1930s. The narratives may be consistent, but the level of abstraction is what varies. The former case is much broader than the latter, yet not necessarily less linear in terms of the reasoning, coherence, and so forth. In fact, in many ways there is a lot of evidence for the opposite thesis. Namely, that coherence and linearity are enhanced by a higher level of abstraction which is linked to the block-thinking orientation. In summary, while on a micro-level it may appear as though the step thinker is more linear, if one steps back-as global historians do-there could be a much broader linear theme at work. It would be correct to point out that my interpretation is based on a specific definition of block-thinking, wherein block-thinking can occur within the confines of linearity. Perhaps the best way to describe it, which is honestly the way I think about it, is through a mathematical analogy with sets. In effect, a cluster of ideas is housed in a set. The set is what we might otherwise call a concept. And when I communicate I typically communicate in sets (concepts) in a linear way. If one inquires into the nature of a particular set, then I elaborate on a lower level of abstraction-perhaps citing on the ground examples and logical reasoning to the support validity of the set (concept).
    I think you are trying to turn block logic, which is abstract into tangible and concrete and this is a good example of that "What is critical in this assessment is the level of abstraction. Take for instance a history textbook that covers the 20th century."?
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

  6. #26
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    253

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkingAboutIt View Post
    I think you are trying to turn block logic, which is abstract into tangible and concrete and this is a good example of that "What is critical in this assessment is the level of abstraction. Take for instance a history textbook that covers the 20th century."?
    I disagree. This is an example of how block logic, as I've defined it, may be applied to the concrete world. I've merely put some flesh on the skeleton to contextualize this phenomenon. Both types of logic are not something you can touch the way y=mx+b is not something you can touch. But one can use empirical examples to gain a better sense of how logic or y=mx+b manifests in the real world.

Similar Threads

  1. The World's Hardest Logic Puzzle
    By MerkW in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 03-14-2011, 12:37 AM
  2. Faith vs. Logic
    By Night in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 103
    Last Post: 08-12-2009, 09:54 PM
  3. Alternative logic systems versus sociopathic traits.
    By Park in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 09-22-2007, 04:56 PM
  4. MBTI Centeral Blocked ... Partially
    By Nighthawk in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-07-2007, 02:46 PM
  5. Commonly abused logical Fallacies..
    By SolitaryWalker in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-27-2007, 05:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO